Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 03:35 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,392,496 times

Advertisements

'Here's my strategy on the Cold War:
We win, they lose.'

'The most terrifying words in the English language are:
I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'

'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant;
it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'

'Of the four wars in my lifetime,
none came about because the U.S. was too strong.'

'I have wondered at times about what the Ten Commandments would have
looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress.'

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government
but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'

'Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end
and no sense of responsibility at the other.'

'The nearest thing to eternal life we will ever see on this earth is a government program.'

'It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession.
I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.'

'Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases:
If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.'

'Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed, there are many rewards;
if you disgrace yourself, you can always write a book.'

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world,
is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 04:34 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,110,418 times
His speach writer said those things,he just repeated them like a good parrot would.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:36 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,530,796 times
Reagan was in and around politics and American policy for almost 60 years I believe that must have been one hell of a speech writer. He hand wrote out his radio show himself but I assume he forgot that part later because you say so.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 AM

68,360 posts, read 54,566,103 times
The Reagan response to student anti-war demonstrations at UCSB:

"If it's a bloodbath they want, I'll give them a bloodbath."

Gee, that'd fit right into a thread "What Stalin said" or "What Mao said"

Old 11-18-2008, 02:50 PM

343 posts, read 511,313 times
kill all dem commies I WANT BANANAS FOR DINNER, NANCY I POOPED A LITTLE NANCY SOVIET UNION

-Reagan

Old 11-18-2008, 03:01 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,045,655 times
Reagen was amazing. What is even more amazing is that the Democrats can't even say anything bad about him! Or at least, nothing bad without sounding stupid.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:15 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,523,797 times
Iran/Contra? AIDS? Doing nothing while North Korea built a plutonium reactor? Giving missile technology to China? $1.4 trillion worth of budget deficits? Gee, hope I didn't sound stupid...

Old 11-18-2008, 04:39 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,178,817 times
Default Ronald Reagan and National Missile Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Reagen was amazing. What is even more amazing is that the Democrats can't even say anything bad about him! Or at least, nothing bad without sounding stupid.
Reagan's so called "greatness" is a myth perpetuated by the right wing.

"Ronald Reagan unwittingly wrote the best epitaph for his own political career in the last year of his presidency. He had run for the Oval Office as a man who would never cut deals with terrorists, but then in 1987 it emerged that he had done just that by trading American hostages for hardcore weaponry. He said in a televised broadcast: "A few months ago I told the American people I did not trade arms for hostages. My heart and my best intentions still tell me this is true, but the facts and the evidence tell me it is not."

There we have the man. His heart said one thing; the facts said the opposite. I'm sure his heart told him that - as he endlessly declared - when government is small, the "little guy" gets ahead. The facts tell us that when you dismantle public services and hack away at progressive taxation, poor people become even less likely to get to the top. I'm sure his heart told him that if you slash back "big government", the economy will grow more quickly and everybody will be a winner. The facts tell us Reaganite supply-side economics have never worked and simply rack up debt (over a trillion dollars in Reagan's case) for future generations."

Johann Hari - Archive (http://www.johannhari.com/archive/article.php?id=403 - broken link)

Old 11-18-2008, 09:30 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,530,796 times
More lies. Did the guy that write that make sure he told you the investigation found no credible evidence that he knew that arms were being traded for hostages?

Old 11-18-2008, 09:37 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,430,232 times
Ronald Reagan. Always the kidder...and a lark. Obviously repeating sentiments that he's heard countless number of times at the segregated country clubs.

The times made his presidency, not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies