Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:57 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,351 times

Advertisements

The other day I walk passed the free paper and I look I see the mugshots of 16 guys on there next to them I see in big bold letters "Sweep 16". So I figure hmm maybe sex offenders? But no when I picked up the paper and read the tiny little caption underneath "Sweep 16" it said they were arrested for picking up hookers.

Hookers? That's it? Their mugshot is on front of the newspaper because they wanted to pay for sex?

I just don't get what the hell the big deal is and to spend tax money on a sting to bust these guys who did nothing wrong in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,994 times
Hahahahaaa I think it's hilarious! Poor desperate losers!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:22 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,032 times
I don't think there is any thing wrong with prostitution. The ladies (or guys in some cases) are getting pay for providing a service. Where is the problem? Maybe if they would pay taxes on that income then the government wouldn't have such a problem with it.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:55 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
For me, I don't see happy hookers with the heart of gold I see the women that don't look happy. Their lives are hard and revolve around drug abuse and physical abuse. I don't know......guys who pay for it imho are just feeding into a system of abuse. After all, how many of those women are actually teen runaways? Or even brought to this country as sex slaves? It happens.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:38 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times
I think that prostitution is wrong, but wrong or right there will always be people who will sell themselves and people who will pay for it. If they were to legalize prostitution, it would be a much safer business. Take Nevada for example, the girls that are working in legal establishments are generally well taken care of. They do not have pimps who beat them, they are protected from physical harm by their customers, they have regular health checkups, and safe sex practices are used to insure that niether the prositute or their customers catch STDs. Plus I believe that the Wh***houses in NV have to pay taxes on the income they generate.

Illegal prostituition, is not safe for anyone. The girls are treated poorly, they use all sorts of drugs, they could have God knows what as far as STDs, and the pimps don't protect them very well from abusers, as long as they get their money they don't care what happens to the prositute.

Some prostitutes are as good as a gun, as some have HIV or Aides and give it to their clients, who then in turn can give it to their spouses or other people they mess around with. Look at how lucky Magic Johnson was in not giving HIV to his wife after he messed around with a prostitute and got it. I didn't care that he got HIV from the prostitute, that was his own stupid fault for messing around, but his wife was innocent and came awfully close to being a victim of his stupidiness.

When it comes to illegal prostitution, I think that it's only fair that the mug shots of the "Johns and Janes" they pick up be front page news. Only so that people who sleep with these "Johns and Janes" can be aware of the possible risk of catching an STD. I think that is why so much tax money goes into these stings. It is to protect the generall public from serious health risks.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:56 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
When it comes to illegal prostitution, I think that it's only fair that the mug shots of the "Johns and Janes" they pick up be front page news. Only so that people who sleep with these "Johns and Janes" can be aware of the possible risk of catching an STD. I think that is why so much tax money goes into these stings. It is to protect the generall public from serious health risks.

Should we also start putting the sufferers of any dangerous contagious disease on the front page?

Tuberculosis for example?

And those who've contracted HIV thru transfusions? After all, though they may not be paying for it they may well be having sex.

Where should the effort to create pariahs stop?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
I don't think there is any thing wrong with prostitution. The ladies (or guys in some cases) are getting pay for providing a service. Where is the problem? Maybe if they would pay taxes on that income then the government wouldn't have such a problem with it.
The problem with prostitution lies primarily in the fact that many (most?) prostitutes are not prostitutes by choice. Many are runaway girls who have been forced into it. Or drug abusers who are turning tricks to get some drug money.

It's not just a free trade of money for goods.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:56 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
The problem with prostitution lies primarily in the fact that many (most?) prostitutes are not prostitutes by choice. Many are runaway girls who have been forced into it. Or drug abusers who are turning tricks to get some drug money.

It's not just a free trade of money for goods.
They are still making money to make a living. Would you rather have them steal? Even if they are drug "abusers" (and that's something else I have no problem with), who cares? they are not selling the drugs to you and they are not forcing you to have sex with them.

Drug users are no different than those that buy alcohol or cigarettes. The only difference is that, once again, it is not regulated by the government, therefore, no taxes are collected. That's why both practices are illegal in the USA.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I just don't get what the hell the big deal is and to spend tax money on a sting to bust these guys who did nothing wrong in my opinion.

Yes, they did do something wrong. They knew something was illegal, and they did it anyway.

I happen to agree that prostitution should be legal, but until it is, it's breaking the law. And you should always do the time for doing the crime.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:00 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,569,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Um no, I have no interest in knowing about the private lives of individuals. It's not my business if someone chooses to go to a prostitute to get their fix. And if the guy catches something, that's his fault. If he chooses not to tell his wife/girlfriend/next sexual partner, that's his problem of course & ALSO the person he's having sex with for not using a condom. Sexual lives of people are nobody's business & to embarrass them by broadcasting that on the front page of a paper is completely ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies