Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" ???
Merry Christmas! 175 59.93%
Happy Holidays! 38 13.01%
I don't care! 79 27.05%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:35 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Maybe if it was such non-issue then people should have left Christians alone and let them have their holiday and do their religious things, but of course not... someone seeking to eradicate religion took up the case and the majority fought back. Is it very surprising?
Don't look at me. I enjoy my paid holiday. Then again, I really do not see the attack on Christians about Christmas. It always seems to be started by the non-christians. Very very very few people actually have a problem with it.

In fact, our own government realizes it as a special day - and it's a SECULAR holiday that counts as a Government Holiday. That says volumes more than Wal-Mart firing cashiers that say "Merry Christmas."

So it really is a non-issue for those who aren't Christian *at least those of us with a shred of decency*. Just as I am sure that if I brought you to a Passover Seder, you would respect it, yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

425 posts, read 1,093,318 times
Isn't the point that someone is trying to convey a warm and pleasant sentiment? I'm not Jewish, but if someone wished me a Happy Hanukkah, I'd say thanks and feel good about it. They were being nice.

Pretty soon we're going to be so politcally correct that we won't be able to say anything to anybody.

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Then I must ask... what warrants an acceptable debate? Don't you think that this debate has roots in pursuit of happiness?
We can debate all day about this issue or any other. It's not about the debate. We can talk about anything all day long. People on THIS board could go 38 pages on Boxers v Briefs if they were bored enough.

My point is that the "battle" over the phrase "Merry Christmas" is largely manufactured. Most people who don't say it are fine with hearing it. Most of the move AWAY from the phrase is just driven by an attempt to be more inclusive and save a few syllables. I don't see the big deal with that, either. Keep saying what you say. I'll say what I say. (Which, to my family and friends, is generally "Merry Christmas"!)

Why not just agree to disagree?

Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Yes they have...they've attended their bat mitzvahs...and to them they pause, and think and say Happy Hannukah!
I'll applaud you again. That "pause and think" is something that all children should be taught to do.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Yes they have...they've attended their bat mitzvahs...and to them they pause, and think and say Happy Hannukah!
You most definitely cannot forget Bar Mitzvahs! ((There's a difference!!!)) If you attended a boy's Bat Mitzvah, then there's something strange going on.

Yes, I was raised by a Christian and a Jew. I think it shows at times.

MELE KILIKIMAKA!

Old 11-24-2008, 11:40 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
So say Merry Christmas! And I'll say "Happy Holidays" or something similar if I'm not sure what someone celebrates! And we'll all be thoughtful and happy!

This is really an invented crisis.
I agree, & I normally say Happy Holidays, but I don't care what someone says. So w/ that, I say first off, Happy Thanksgiving to you all (not a religious holiday in the least), then I'll say Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings, Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, & Happy Kwanzaa.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:41 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
The truth of the matter is that we're not even celebrating Jesus' birthday. Nobody knows when that is and it is speculated that it was probably sometime around April.
The Romans used to celebrate the winter Solstice and emperor Aurelian declared the official date to be on December 25. Later Constantine, a christian emperor, made christianity the official religion of Rome and changed the holiday to christmas in order to convert the pagans into christianity.
A few years ago I was looking up celebrations on December 25 before christmas and (dont' quote me) I think it was the greeks who celebrated the goddess of the harvest around that time so I was goind around saying "happy harvest day" when everyone else was saying "merry christmas" as a joke. Nobody in my family is religious to the point of taking offense to something like that. Nowadays I just say merry christmas. If someone wants to have an in depth discussion about how they don't celebrate it, they're welcomed to it but they'll probably get an explanation on harvest day from me.
We have a Son of Isis harvest dinner instead of Christmas I guess it helps that most of my family are Pagan, and my parents tried to do the 'Christmas' thing with us for family sake, but as young kids me and my siblings decided we would rather celebrate nature, harvest and family instead of the 'supposed' birthday of a person who may or may not have existed. Yes, we exchange gifts, but they're not ostentatious crazy stuff, and rarely cost more than $20 or so. And we do that to thank eachother for being gracious family members, nothing more. I don't see it as a 'war on Christmas', because I think nativity sets are beautiful and that it's a heartwarming story, but nothing more, it's JUST a story, and I don't mind being told Merry Christmas and I'll say it right back because I can't get pissed off at something I don't believe exists... kinda silly, really

Old 11-24-2008, 11:45 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I'll applaud you again. That "pause and think" is something that all children should be taught to do.
I don't pause and think when I visit other states or nations... I simply do or say whatever is commonly accepted to them.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:46 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
There's nothing particularly happy about Chinese food and the movies day, so I say Happy Holidays. Hanukkah and my birthday are much more important than Christmas anyway. :P

I've had some people be offended by my saying Happy Holidays so I simply respond with Happy Chanukkah- which tends to **** these same people off even more.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:47 AM

Can we just make everybody happy and say:

Happy Christakwanzukahturnaliamas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies