Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" ???
Merry Christmas! 175 59.93%
Happy Holidays! 38 13.01%
I don't care! 79 27.05%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:09 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Happy Holidays to everyone on City-Data !!!
Thanks, you too!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
I did not say there were not boxed Christmas cards. I said there were only a handful that SAID Merry Christmas. Did the 300 boxed cards actually say Merry Christmas?

Yes, the people I send my cards to are Christian. Why would I send a Christmas card to someone NOT celebrating the birth of Christ? No one knows the date of His birth but that is the date that society/the church/etc. has designated as the day of celebration.
You made it sound like EVERYONE on your seasonal list was getting a Christmas card... sorry if we misunderstood, and that's cool to send Christians a religious-themed card. I don't have enough really Christian friends to constitute buying an entire box, but I have one dear friend who's a born-again Evangelical Christian, and I usually get her a card with Angels or a Nativity scene - she loves those. And for my sister and brother-in-law, who are a mixed-faith couple, I always get something cute that includes both Chanukah & Christmas. This year I found an adorable card with 2 cats sitting in windows... one is wearing a yarmulke and looking at a Christmas tree, the other has a Santa hat and is looking at a menorah. Too funny! Anyway, have a great Christmas.

Quote:
I haven't seen anyone trying to change the Hanukkah/Chanukah celebration or is it happening and I have missed that?
Nope, it's pretty much the same... some retailers are trying to "Christmas-ize" it (which I hate), but otherwise it hasn't changed much since my childhood.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:24 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I say Merry Christmas also. After all, He is the reason for the season. To me, it's a Christmas tree, not a "holiday" tree. We get Christmas break, not a "holiday break" We've become too secular in this country, but in the US, Christians make up 75% of the population. The PC crowd doesn't want us to offend the other 25% percent, but it's OK to trash the Christians at every turn. I don't like it. If we offend Muslims, all hell would break loose. So to everyone I say "Merry Christmas"!!!!!!
The kids in this county get Winter Break, actually.

And if getting wished "happy holidays" is your definition of "trashing the Christians", I'd hate to see your reaction if someone shot at you while worshipping, or tried to forcibly remove your kippah/shayla/assorted other religiously-inspired headgear.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:26 PM

I'm just so overcome with all this warm fuzzy Christlike spirit...in the words of Mike-Myers, "I'm so verklempft!"

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-04-2008 at 06:24 AM.. Reason: Removed now-deleted post

Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 PM

998 posts, read 1,513,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
The kids in this county get Winter Break, actually.

And if getting wished "happy holidays" is your definition of "trashing the Christians", I'd hate to see your reaction if someone shot at you while worshipping, or tried to forcibly remove your kippah/shayla/assorted other religiously-inspired headgear.
I wonder if that NYRanger guy knows that the Christmas tree was likely originally pagan?

Kind of like the Easter bunny and Easter eggs.

"Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not." Jeremiah 10:2-4

Old 12-03-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Right, I agree. Check on Mother's Day -- the original "mother" was the church.
Nah. Not in the US. The original "Mother" was Ann Marie Jarvis, whose daughter Anna was the prime force for the institution of Mother's Day in the states. Before that there were attempts to create a Mother's Day of Peace, mostly intended to heal the country after the War Between the States.
It was celebrated IN church, but it wasn't celebrating A church.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think the Virgin Mary images are quite beautiful...
Well its ironic that you have FAR more in common with her than I do.LOL

Old 12-03-2008, 10:35 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yay, we hit 40 pages!!! Last year this debate got to about 50 pages, I believe, and the year before it was a little less... go C-D debaters! Seriously, this discussion is becoming a time-honored holiday tradition for me - and yet despite all the fear over losing Christmas, it still seems to be alive and well. To quote GreatDay, imagine that.
And to quote Tiny Tim, God Bless Us, EVERYONE!!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Well its ironic that you have FAR more in common with her than I do.LOL
Excuse my ignorance/confusion, but what do I have in common with the Virgin Mary? Aside from being a woman, that is... oh, and I guess the Jewish thing.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:37 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Well, let's keep it going to over 50 pages....afterall, NO one has answered my questions:

What part of Christmas have you lost?

What has been taken away from you?

You still can decorate a tree.

You can still spend too much money on crap nobody wants.

You can still watch football as many do to celebrate Christmas.

You can still get stressed out.

You can still turn your children into greedy screaming monsters.

You can still fight the crowds at the mall.

You can still eat too much.

You can still go to church.

You can still say Merry Christmas.

You can still fight with your relatives.

What are you missing???????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies