Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 05:20 AM

38,650 posts, read 26,442,349 times

Advertisements

Rachel Maddow issued a scathing rebuke to Governor Palin during the campaign when the Governor correctly indicated that a particular ear mark for fruit fly research being performed in Paris, France was simply USDA choice "pork". Professor Maddow didn't bother to do her homework before putting her smirk machine into overdrive accusing Governor Palin of not knowing that fruit flies are used for medical research for things like curing Autism. Had she done that, she would have discovered that the fruit flies used for medical research (Drosophila melanogaster) are a different species of fruit flies than were being studied (Bactrocera oleae). She also would have discovered that the pork barrel project that caught the eyes of CAGW was research being performed by the USDA to eradicate olive fruit flies for the benefit of millionaire farmers in Napa Valley, CA where they make high dollar olive oil. Last I heard the USDA didn't do medical research.

"A conservative fiscal watchdog group recently gave Rep. Mike Thompson, D-St. Helena, the “French Kiss Off Award” for sending $211,000 to France to study an agricultural pest.
The mock honor came from Washington, D.C.-based Citizens Against Government Waste, which publishes an annual compendium of what the group considers pork barrel legislation."

"Rep. Thompson vigorously defended the earmark, which went to fight the grapevine-devastating Pierce’s Disease, olive pests and Sudden Oak Death, among other purposes."

http://www.napavalleyregister.com/articles/2008/04/09/news/local/doc47fc6ca1ad0ee555305173.txt

Well, low and behold, PE Obama has discovered that "pork" like the earmark indicated is a waste of taxpayer dollars.

"Obama repeated his pledge to go “line by line” through the federal budget, looking for inefficiency, waste and duplication.

“Just because a program, a special interest tax break, or corporate subsidy is hidden in this year’s budget does not mean that it will survive the next,” he warned, citing subsidies for wealthy farmers as one potential cut."

CQ Politics | Obama Vows to Impose Budget Discipline as He Promotes Economic Stimulus (http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?parm1=5&docID=news-000002991087 - broken link)

Last edited by momonkey; 11-27-2008 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 06:20 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,348,454 times
What Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh are to Dems. Rachael Maddow and Keith Olbermann are to Reps.

I cant stand all 4 for distorting truth and bias lie "reporting".

Old 11-27-2008, 06:42 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,516,035 times
Olive growing is a significant economic activity in this country. Olive fruit flies are a serious agricultural pest that has become a problem in the US over the past decade. The flies are established in and around the Mediterranean, where most of the research into control and eradication is being done, in this case, through the USDA itself. Investment in such cooperative research and access to its findings is an appropriate part of protecting our economic security.

olive fruit fly

Obama's cost-cutting pledge is in no way, shape, or form connected to this earmark. As a major agricultural producer, the US has a major stake in worldwide efforts to maintain, improve, and protect agricultural productivity. Participation in programs such as that regarding the olive fruit fly will continue to be a part of US policy.

You and CAGW are reacting to the fact that this fnding was secured via earmark, rather than by being voted on in committee. No effort by either one of you to look into the rationale behind the expenditure. This is quite typical of CAGW at least...

Old 11-27-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Olive growing is a significant economic activity in this country. Olive fruit flies are a serious agricultural pest that has become a problem in the US over the past decade. The flies are established in and around the Mediterranean, where most of the research into control and eradication is being done, in this case, through the USDA itself. Investment in such cooperative research and access to its findings is an appropriate part of protecting our economic security.

olive fruit fly

Obama's cost-cutting pledge is in no way, shape, or form connected to this earmark. As a major agricultural producer, the US has a major stake in worldwide efforts to maintain, improve, and protect agricultural productivity. Participation in programs such as that regarding the olive fruit fly will continue to be a part of US policy.

You and CAGW are reacting to the fact that this fnding was secured via earmark, rather than by being voted on in committee. No effort by either one of you to look into the rationale behind the expenditure. This is quite typical of CAGW at least...

Maddow spouted off about Palin's ignorance having no idea what so ever that different fruit flies were being used or that the USDA doesn't do research on the causes of Autism. She's a dim wit. The left all applauded her enthusiastically because she was calling out this anti-science religious fanatic. They also had no idea about what they were doing because they are, as always, mindless cheerleaders and pseudo-intellectuals barking about how anti-intellectual those born-again Christians are without bothering to get their facts strait.

As for Obama's statement, it speaks for itself.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:42 AM

972 posts, read 1,333,109 times
Palin did not indicate WHICH fly she was talking about. They later back tracked saying it wasn't the one for autism. Please give me a break, that dimwit didn't have a CLUE what she was on about from the start. I doubt she was talking about the olive fly, because McCain supports agriculture, farming and big business pretty much no matter what. Did you think Palin whose very base is made up of farmers was going to tell them she would be cutting funding that helps control a major pest? Oh no.

Quote:
Obama's cost-cutting pledge is in no way, shape, or form connected to this earmark.
Exactly, Obama has said nothing about this earmark, from the start he talked about going over the budget. He in no way said Palin had it right, what abunch of rubbish!

Old 11-27-2008, 10:03 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,306,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
What Sean Hannity and Rush Limbaugh are to Dems. Rachael Maddow and Keith Olbermann are to Reps.

I cant stand all 4 for distorting truth and bias lie "reporting".
I so agree! Then to add insult to injury, we keep flaming the fire by repeating what these people say. I wouldn't support or listen to anyone who insults and degrades other people only for financial gain. Both political sides are guilty of it and those of us who know it is wrong should stand up and say so regardless of our views on the issues.

It should never be considered funny or entertaining to bash another human being.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,516,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Maddow spouted off about Palin's ignorance having no idea what so ever that different fruit flies were being used or that the USDA doesn't do research on the causes of Autism. She's a dim wit. The left all applauded her enthusiastically because she was calling out this anti-science religious fanatic. They also had no idea about what they were doing because they are, as always, mindless cheerleaders and pseudo-intellectuals barking about how anti-intellectual those born-again Christians are without bothering to get their facts strait.
Clank. It was Palin who had no idea what whe was talking about. Fruit flies. Paris, France. I kid you not (rolls eyes). It was an ignorant remark for reasons I outlined above, and Maddow quite correctly called her on it, while quite correctly noting that fruit flies -- the very thing Palin had ridiculed -- are in fact an essential part of genetic research related to autism and other inherited diseases -- the very thing Palin was trying to speak in support of. Latter day claims that medical research involves a different species of fruit fly are a hoax designed to serve as a cover-up for Palin's ignorance. She grabbed something from CAGW that sounded ridiculous on the surface and went with it. Stupid. The reaction she got was the reaction she deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
As for Obama's statement, it speaks for itself.
Yes, it does, and what it says has no bearing of any sort in terms of validating any part of Palin's ignorant remark.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Clank. It was Palin who had no idea what whe was talking about. Fruit flies. Paris, France. I kid you not (rolls eyes). It was an ignorant remark for reasons I outlined above, and Maddow quite correctly called her on it, while quite correctly noting that fruit flies -- the very thing Palin had ridiculed -- are in fact an essential part of genetic research related to autism and other inherited diseases -- the very thing Palin was trying to speak in support of. Latter day claims that medical research involves a different species of fruit fly are a hoax designed to serve as a cover-up for Palin's ignorance. She grabbed something from CAGW that sounded ridiculous on the surface and went with it. Stupid. The reaction she got was the reaction she deserved.

Yes, it does, and what it says has no bearing of any sort in terms of validating any part of Palin's ignorant remark.

Do you honestly think that Governor Palin doesn't know that the USDA doesn't do medical research on the causes of Autism? Palin didn't mention the species of fruit flies in question, but it is obvious that she is referring to the pork project that Rep.Thompson was supporting for his millionaire farmer friends. I wonder if those nice farmers ever contributed to his campaign fund? CAGW knew what it was and so did Palin because the USDA doesn't do medical research. But you'll never admit you are wrong.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
Palin did not indicate WHICH fly she was talking about. They later back tracked saying it wasn't the one for autism. Please give me a break, that dimwit didn't have a CLUE what she was on about from the start. I doubt she was talking about the olive fly, because McCain supports agriculture, farming and big business pretty much no matter what. Did you think Palin whose very base is made up of farmers was going to tell them she would be cutting funding that helps control a major pest? Oh no.

Exactly, Obama has said nothing about this earmark, from the start he talked about going over the budget. He in no way said Palin had it right, what abunch of rubbish!

I'm shocked. You've always been so unbiased with respect to Governor Palin.

You should take your own advice, Pirate Girl too. Looks like I'm the only one in this conversation who knew that different fruit flies were used.

//www.city-data.com/forum/elect...ml#post5849743

And you know if that nice Congressman from CA can't get funding for his farmer friends under the next budget I'll be sure to post something about it.

Last edited by momonkey; 11-27-2008 at 10:55 AM..

Old 11-27-2008, 10:52 AM

972 posts, read 1,333,109 times
Quote:
Clank. It was Palin who had no idea what she was talking about. Fruit flies. Paris, France. I kid you not (rolls eyes). It was an ignorant remark for reasons I outlined above, and Maddow quite correctly called her on it, while quite correctly noting that fruit flies -- the very thing Palin had ridiculed -- are in fact an essential part of genetic research related to autism and other inherited diseases -- the very thing Palin was trying to speak in support of. Latter day claims that medical research involves a different species of fruit fly are a hoax designed to serve as a cover-up for Palin's ignorance. She grabbed something from CAGW that sounded ridiculous on the surface and went with it. Stupid. The reaction she got was the reaction she deserved.

Right and I think it's it's hilarious these Palin supporters are still bringing this up. The Autism Parent Groups I belong to all know it as well. No one was happy about this. That woman, because she doesn't do her research was a danger to our kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies