Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should CEOs of wrecked companies have to pay back the billions in salary and bonuses they took home
YES 29 60.42%
NO 5 10.42%
Yes, but how much depends on how bad the wreck was 5 10.42%
Investigate them further and maybe send them to jail 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:03 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,390,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
goverment has never created jobs.
I think the people in the US military and civil service would disagree with that.

Ken

Old 01-07-2009, 10:06 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,235,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I think the people in the US military and civil service would disagree with that.

Ken

as a veteran I shall disagree. as before in US history once a war is over, the military has always gone down to a small military. only since ww2 ended has the US gone to a larger military presence.

and goverment still does not create jobs, as they cannot create 1 job without stealing money from the citizens of the USA.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,919,326 times
The government would make them pay it back if the alternative was a journey down a short rope from a tall ladder.

A more realistic way of preventing this from happening is a progressive income tax on all income from all sources with a base deductable of twice the median income and a top rate of 95%. Then let them have their 10 million dollar bonuses because they would only keep half a million of it. Small stock holders and most of the citizenty should like this plan.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
as a veteran I shall disagree. as before in US history once a war is over, the military has always gone down to a small military. only since ww2 ended has the US gone to a larger military presence.

and goverment still does not create jobs, as they cannot create 1 job without stealing money from the citizens of the USA.
A nonsense argument - but since you still claim that the US government didn't create any jobs (including apparently YOUR'S while you were in the military). I suggest you offer to pay back that military salary that was paid to you for serving in "non-existing job".

The truth is, your arguments make NO SENSE whatsoever.
None - nada - zip.

Ken

Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
A nonsense argument - but since you still claim that the US government didn't create any jobs (including apparently YOUR'S while you were in the military). I suggest you offer to pay back that military salary that was paid to you for serving in "non-existing job".

The truth is, your arguments make NO SENSE whatsoever.
None - nada - zip.

Ken

sure thing, as long as the federal goverment repays me the thousands more than I ever made while i was in the military that they have stolen from me in the form of illegal taxes.

the federal goverment still does not create jobs, if the federal goverment created jobs, then they would be able to do so without taking 1 penny to pay for them except from the collecting of bonds, duties and tariffs.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The government would make them pay it back if the alternative was a journey down a short rope from a tall ladder.

exactly what politicians should have done to them if they violate the Constitution or Bill of Rights.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
sure thing, as long as the federal goverment repays me the thousands more than I ever made while i was in the military that they have stolen from me in the form of illegal taxes.

the federal goverment still does not create jobs, if the federal goverment created jobs, then they would be able to do so without taking 1 penny to pay for them except from the collecting of bonds, duties and tariffs.
Since when does creating jobs have ANYTHING to do with where you get the money FROM to pay the wages for those jobs?

Whether you get the money from selling a product or service or you get the money from taxation - if you create a job with it, you create a job with it.

Besides - the government provides services just like a private company does (roads, bridges and other infrastructure - as well as postal services, police and fire protection etc, etc, etc). The only difference is that you don't have choice whether or not to buy those services.

The argument that the government doesn't provide jobs simply because it's "customers" don't have a choice in whether or not to "buy" those services that the government "sells" is total nonsense.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 01-07-2009 at 10:57 AM..

Old 01-07-2009, 10:54 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,744,676 times
Quote:
goverment has never created jobs.
I guess FDRs New Deal never happened, someone better tell that to Obama because his plan copys it

Old 01-07-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Since when does creating jobs have ANYTHING to do with where you get the money FROM to pay the wages for those jobs?

Whether you get the money from selling a product or service or you get the money from taxation - if you create a job with it, you create a job with it.

Besides - the government provides services just like a private company does (roads, bridges and other infrastructure - as well as postal services, police and fire protection etc, etc, etc). The only difference is that you don't have choice whether or not to buy those services.

The argument that the government doesn't provide jobs simply because it's "customers" don't have a choice in whether or not to "buy" those services that the government "sells" is total nonsense.

Ken

of course it is total nonsense to you, road and bridges could be paid for with user fees, cops and fire departments are already paid for by most cities property taxes. what I am saying is that federal income taxes do not create jobs and therefore the federal goverment does not create jobs. no federal goverment agency ever creates a single job. anything they create is just more legislation to illegally steal more of the peoples money in the form of taxes to create more programs which either help no one, or that can be done better with private charities.

all agencies that the Constitution allows for can all be paid for with duties, tariffs and bonds.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
of course it is total nonsense to you, road and bridges could be paid for with user fees, cops and fire departments are already paid for by most cities property taxes. what I am saying is that federal income taxes do not create jobs and therefore the federal goverment does not create jobs. no federal goverment agency ever creates a single job. anything they create is just more legislation to illegally steal more of the peoples money in the form of taxes to create more programs which either help no one, or that can be done better with private charities.

all agencies that the Constitution allows for can all be paid for with duties, tariffs and bonds.
Again, you NEVER answer the question: Since when does creating jobs have ANYTHING to do with where you get the money FROM to pay the wages for those jobs?

OK, so you think that Federal Income Taxes are not a legal way of the government raising money - I get it, but to claim that that money doesn't create any jobs is completely ignorant of the facts.

But OK, I get it - you don't want to be bothered with anything as mundane as reality - so go ahead and stay there in your little dreamworld where all that money raised by income taxes just vanishes into thin air without a single penny of it ever going into a single persons' paycheck.

I'm done.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies