Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:54 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,818 times

Advertisements

Welfare, foodstamps, Section 8, ect. should not even be available for anyone without disability. If you are an able bodied man or woman you should either have to work or starve, period!

These handouts to the banking and auto industry disgust me even more. This is America, survival of the fittest. If you can't run your company in the proper manner and go bankrupt you shouldn't get a bail out.

All of these handouts have led to excessive taxation and excessive taxation is destroying this country. Say my tax burden is cut in hald and I take home $500 more per month, common sense tells you I'll be spending more money purchasing goods, paying for services, investing... you know enriching the economy and creating jobs.

Cut government spending, cut taxation and you save this country.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:18 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Welfare, foodstamps, Section 8, ect. should not even be available for anyone without disability. If you are an able bodied man or woman you should either have to work or starve, period!
Where, or should I say, what planet do people like you come from? 533,000 hardworking fellow Americans lost their jobs in November alone through no fault of their own. They should starve! What are you some sort of 17th Century throwback? Jesus Christ, really, where do you people come from?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
These people mean "everyone willing to work for FREE". If you are not willing to work for basic food and shelter you are considered LAZY and not willing to play the game. if we put, with a steeply progressive income tax, a cap on income at the 500 grand per year level there would be plenty of money to rebuild our infrastructure and employ all these people at decent incomes.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
[color=black][font=Verdana]These people mean "everyone willing to work for FREE". If you are not willing to work for basic food and shelter you are considered LAZY and not willing to play the game.
Damned if I didn't recall the Republicans used to be against slavery!

Old 01-06-2009, 12:51 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Trust me, you don't want to give the Government any more control of the economy than it already has. They can't do anything right! Look at the Capitol Visitors Center. It was budgeted to cost $ 70 million and ended up costing $ 621 million and ran way over on time as well.

I agree on cutting entitlements and overall Government spending. But, that money should be returned to the taxpayers so the people and the private sector can create new employment opportunities.
Would needs strict controls of course, and oversight, unlike the greedy fat corporate bastards have. The diff is, we can legislate control, where the corporations cannot.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
You do ralise that the government only controls about 18% f the GDP welth of the nation. Governamnt programs like this endup with peop[ole sitting arund dpoing nothign productive. Look at the goveranmnt employemnt for disadvantaged young people in teh summer. The restrictions are so high because of responsibilty that many do much of nothing.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You do ralise that the government only controls about 18% f the GDP welth of the nation. Governamnt programs like this endup with peop[ole sitting arund dpoing nothign productive. Look at the goveranmnt employemnt for disadvantaged young people in teh summer. The restrictions are so high because of responsibilty that many do much of nothing.
Rather have someone paid only for working, even if the system wouldnt be perfect.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
These people mean "everyone willing to work for FREE". If you are not willing to work for basic food and shelter you are considered LAZY and not willing to play the game. if we put, with a steeply progressive income tax, a cap on income at the 500 grand per year level there would be plenty of money to rebuild our infrastructure and employ all these people at decent incomes.
When Obama talk about 'skin in the game', we need to see a lot more of the billionaires skin in the game.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:54 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Although this is phrased in a fairly horrible way, I can't disagree with the sentiment completely, because I also think that if scammers realized they couldn't just get handouts, they'd find work.
there may not be enough work for everybody. The OP talks about "let them work jobs" (yes, do note I'm paraphrasing this). Hell, there already isn't. What kind of jobs can we come up with for ALL of those folks?

In some ways, these scammers are the creative ones... they're finding way to survive. Not unlike some companies that do some shady or unethical things to save money. It may not be morally right, but it's legal.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:00 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
There already is work for anyone that is willing to work. Most folks aren't willing to stoop to the level they would have to, though.

When I was laid off from my job as a computer programmer in 2001, my unemployment paid me something like $30 less per week than doing an overnight shift stocking shelves in the freezer section of Sam's Club. I ended up doing it until I found a new job because I knew that I'd have insurance when I became eligible. I ended up find a new job before I got to that point, but if insurance wasn't an issue...how many people would work 40 hours a week for $30?
Yeah.. you work the numbers, and it's definitely more worth it to you to NOT work, vs. losing 40 hrs a week, not to mention the cost and time of commuting puts you BEHIND! Some folks don't seem to realize that while on UI, it doesn't last forever... depending on the state, you only get around 6 months of it. The days of extending it to 1.5 years seems to be long past us. This time period sure ain't no picnic.

I've known folks who use the free time to unwind (some jobs have been stressful), spend more time with kids, up their skills, take certifications, and/or then find a proper job that supports their level of education. If they took any MW job, they'd be going against the mantra of getting an education, or otherwise upping your skill set, so they WOULDN'T have to be in MW! After all, nobody was meant to live on MW right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies