Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:02 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,737,711 times

Advertisements

Millions of people sitting on their butts, unused labor = wasted productivity. If the gov is going to bail companies that cannot compete, then put all the companies to work and let the gov be the CEO, then if it wants to pay itself 400 times the average worker, then at least it will go back to the taxpayer. Provide affordable housing to everyone who works for it, built by people given a guarenteed job. End Welfare, not as we know it, just end it. No free lunch for anyone, but lunch for everyone who wants to work for it.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:06 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but -

"I have already directed my economic team to come up with an Economic Recovery Plan that will mean 2.5 million more jobs by January of 2011 — a plan big enough to meet the challenges we face that I intend to sign soon after taking office. We’ll be working out the details in the weeks ahead, but it will be a two-year, nationwide effort to jumpstart job creation in America and lay the foundation for a strong and growing economy. We’ll put people back to work rebuilding our crumbling roads and bridges, modernizing schools that are failing our children, and building wind farms and solar panels; fuel-efficient cars and the alternative energy technologies that can free us from our dependence on foreign oil and keep our economy competitive in the years ahead."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/us...zfFYJi10RHytLQ

Old 12-04-2008, 11:08 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Millions of people sitting on their butts, unused labor = wasted productivity. If the gov is going to bail companies that cannot compete, then put all the companies to work and let the gov be the CEO, then if it wants to pay itself 400 times the average worker, then at least it will go back to the taxpayer. Provide affordable housing to everyone who works for it, built by people given a guarenteed job. End Welfare, not as we know it, just end it. No free lunch for anyone, but lunch for everyone who wants to work for it.
Well the CEOs of the FAILED companies that WE are bailing out are getting a humongous FREE LUNCH and laughing all the way to their Swiss bank accounts with the WELFARE checks we handed them!

Old 12-04-2008, 11:12 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Well the CEOs of the FAILED companies that WE are bailing out are getting a humongous FREE LUNCH and laughing all the way to their Swiss bank accounts with the WELFARE checks we handed them!
Actually, those accounts are in the Isle of Man now - Switzerland has been working closely with the U.S. since 9/11.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:18 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Actually, those accounts are in the Isle of Man now - Switzerland has been working closely with the U.S. since 9/11.
Yes, but don't to ever get information on accounts that don't involve US citizens. The Swiss know a good business policy and won't let nosy folks like the CIA get involved.

But I'm sure the Swiss will appease the US government with (wink wink) "sharing" information.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:21 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post

There already is work for anyone that is willing to work. Most folks aren't willing to stoop to the level they would have to, though.

When I was laid off from my job as a computer programmer in 2001, my unemployment paid me something like $30 less per week than doing an overnight shift stocking shelves in the freezer section of Sam's Club. I ended up doing it until I found a new job because I knew that I'd have insurance when I became eligible. I ended up find a new job before I got to that point, but if insurance wasn't an issue...how many people would work 40 hours a week for $30?

Old 12-04-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You're correct.

Since I have never caused a business to fail on purpose, have never been handed millions of dollars from the government for a failure, have never been so rich that I fly a private jet to ask for a handout and have never been handed a WELFARE check like those people....I am a little behind in where to hide the money stolen from American taxpayers.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:24 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You're correct.

Since I have never caused a business to fail on purpose, have never been handed millions of dollars from the government for a failure, have never been so rich that I fly a private jet to ask for a handout and have never been handed a WELFARE check like those people....I am a little behind in where to hide the money stolen from American taxpayers.
This is not true at all.

UBS has refused to allow the US to go on a fishing expedition on 20K US citizens' bank accounts. No doubt they are absolutely refusing to release records on non-US citizens' accounts.

The Swiss will always want to preserve bank privacy, even if they're giving the illusion to the Americans they're cooperating.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
This is not true at all.

UBS has refused to allow the US to go on a fishing expedition on 20K US citizens' bank accounts. No doubt they are absolutely refusing to release records on non-US citizens' accounts.

The Swiss will always want to preserve bank privacy, even if they're giving the illusion to the Americans they're cooperating.
Thank you for correcting the correction but does that REALLY matter? That is NOT the point.
This is:

"""Since I have never caused a business to fail on purpose, have never been handed millions of dollars from the government for a failure, have never been so rich that I fly a private jet to ask for a handout and have never been handed a WELFARE check like those people....I am a little behind in where to hide the money stolen from American taxpayers.""

Old 12-04-2008, 11:35 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
There is no need to get vindictive and deny welfare to those who need it. Better enforcement of welfare guidelines needs to be implemented but the 400 to 1 compensations need to be revisited because until that is done it will be impossible to find enough money to provide work for the millions of people who will work. Not everyone is a lazy so and so. As long as Joe six-pack with his ego and work ethic intact see's this as an issue of welfare reform and not uber Capitalist unfair income distribution there won't be any progress towards reform.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies