Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 09:07 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
No. This person is not complicating anything. But the people who are against gay marriage and so into banning it and denying people rights....they are making this very complicated.
You guys are acting as if gay marriage was a timeless tradition that just got abolished with Prop 8. Marriage has always been defined as a union between a male and female until rogue judges overruled tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 09:09 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I would imagine, if they were really busy down at DMV, I could fill out the form and put an F in that space, and the clerk would absent-mindedly just enter everything as stated into the computer, and issue me a DL that said F on it.
They wouldn't have to be busy, they'll just copy whatever gender you put... trust me, as somebody who makes library cards on a regular basis, you can't assume anything with gender! I almost mistakenly put "male" for a young female patron, because she was very masculine/butch looking - luckily she had a feminine name, so I didn't have to ask.

But if a DMV employee questioned you, it could turn into a nasty situation (possibly even a lawsuit), so I imagine they just go with your designation. And with transgendered people, they are legally a different sex if they've had the surgery, no matter what their birth certificate said. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just enter HUMAN? Or like I've seen people do on library applications, you can always put "yes" next to the sex - LOL.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:14 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
You guys are acting as if gay marriage was a timeless tradition that just got abolished with Prop 8. Marriage has always been defined as a union between a male and female until rogue judges overruled tradition.
Traditionally marriage was actually a business arrangement, and women were the property of their husbands... and in some cultures (Hindu, for example) marriage is almost always arranged by the parents. And just probably within the last century, it was not unusual to marry as a young teenager, or to marry a relative. So what is REALLY the definition of "traditional marriage?" Guess it depends on whom you ask.

Besides, they didn't overturn anything originally, just recognized (at least in California) that nothing prohibited same-sex couples from marrying. If I'm not mistaken, there was nothing in the wording of our laws implying as such - hence the reason why the anti-gay marriage folks pushed to change our Constitution.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:35 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
But passports and drivers licenses can be changed. A transgender person might have an F on the birth certificate but an M on the drivers license, lawfully.

Yup. Hence my call for enforcement.
Any person who legally meets the criteria for being M or F on government issued photo ID meets the requirement for marrying a person of the opposite sex. What's the problem? If a person does what he/she needs to do in order to satisfy the lawful authorities that the M or the F is appropriate, how is that an issue that concerns you?

Old 12-10-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Ok, so let's say it's between one man and one woman.

Is that based on phenotype or DNA? And again, how is the state to enforce it?

If it's so simple of an issue, why is it so hard to come up with an enforcement strategy?
They don't need to do anything different than what has been done for the past hundreds of years when same sex marriages did not exist.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
A few posters on here would probably like to be inspectors.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 PM

387 posts, read 677,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
They don't need to do anything different than what has been done for the past hundreds of years when same sex marriages did not exist.
It's quite probable that before the ban, there were several same-sex marriages. What happened before Prop 8 was half-hazard at best. Now that it's a matter of Constitutional Law, some kind of enforcement regime seems prudent.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Now that it's a matter of Constitutional Law, some kind of enforcement regime seems prudent.
Has there been a contitutional amendment that I don't know about? "Seems prudent" and "Constitutionally mandated" are not exactly the same thing.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagKm View Post
hey buddy, you have that in reverse.

Heteros and their families, their offspring and their values, their religion and their ethics, their history and their morals.....can never be corrupted and discarded by some sexually deviant "gays".
You can spew all the anti-gay crap you want. It's clear that you're scared - VERY SCARED!

Old 12-11-2008, 10:28 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,133 times
I'd say the DNA test, have to have a blood test anyway, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies