Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 03:55 AM

90 posts, read 331,501 times

Advertisements

In the last few months of the Bush Administration, is it possible for the President to pardon himself in advance of any attempted criminal prosecution of him for his decisons or acts as President?

If the President can pardon himself, why didn't Nixon do some before he resigned.

Do you expect any Prosecutor will attempt to indict Bush for his actions as President?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:06 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
To my knowledge there has never been a court ruling on whether a President can pardon themselves. It has been a point of contention since the foundation of our nation when James Madison and George Mason argued that a day may arrive in which a President would attempt to pardon himself or others for a crime he was himself involved in.

The closest we have to come to a President pardoning a subordinate convicted of a crime that they were involved in is Scooter Libby, whose sentence was commuted and is expected that Bush will pardon him.

What I have read thus far has been more concerned with preemptive pardons for those which may be indicted in torture and rendition cases as well as the various wire tapping cases that are currently being investigated.

I have no idea what Bush will attempt to do but I know one thing for certain, he will more likely leave in a bang more than a whimper.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Not in the World Court in The Hague for war crimes and crimes gainst humanity. He can be chargeed for crimes in the District of Columbia, and then it will be up to the governor of Texas to extradite him.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I thnim he has no problem in that area as they did nothing to JFK or Johnson.Even Clinton had no problems when caught on tape lying to a grand jury ;so subjective judgements should be no problems at all to presdients as they haven't the past. The next likely parson buzz will come when Hillary is at confirmationed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies