Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:08 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times

Advertisements

It seemed that the majority of American's were against the Bailout. My question is...if Congress and The Senate are representing the people of their respective districts, why did this thievery being called a bailout pass? Seems to me that if the public had their opinion counted, this never would have happened. Why do we need representatives if they are not representing the majority? This government either needs one hell of an overhaul, a revolution or a coup. We are being robbed, plain and simple.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:22 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times
I have it stashed somewhere in new mexico, come and find it! fleeced you guys again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
"after receiving billions in aid from U.S. taxpayers, the nation's largest banks say they can't track exactly how they're spending the money or they simply refuse to discuss it."

My Way News - Where'd the bailout money go? Shhhh, it's a secret

Old 12-23-2008, 02:45 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
I write you a check for $10. You deposit it in your checking account. You buy some groceries. You pay the rent. You pick up your dry cleaning. You download a new CD. Where did my money go? You don't know...you can't say...

Old 12-23-2008, 03:08 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,023,210 times
Quote:
No, the 'elite' are the American royal family of Bush and Cheney and their CEO buds. Maybe 'ignorant and mis-informed' democrats Ill buy, but no more than the republicans - both aisles are stupid.
In this case, it's the dems that pushed for the bailout and are catering to wall street.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:43 PM

well saganista, sounds to me as if the ca$h went to a bunch of teenagers. my daughter used to do the same thing with the money we'd give her for washing dishes, cleaning house, well but, that's no comparison at all, at least she did something for the $$$, more than we can say for the non-sayers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I write you a check for $10. You deposit it in your checking account. You buy some groceries. You pay the rent. You pick up your dry cleaning. You download a new CD. Where did my money go? You don't know...you can't say...

Old 12-23-2008, 03:47 PM

thanks for pointing that out chatterbox, we'd never had known that small fact, but, wait a minute, wasn't it bernake, the boy who cried wolf in the first place? I know it was difficult for you to place partisan politics into the spotlight of this thread, we all know how much you tried to refrain from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
In this case, it's the dems that pushed for the bailout and are catering to wall street.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:54 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Give me a break willya? The repubs caused the mess, and the dems and repubs voted for the bailouts.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It seemed that the majority of American's were against the Bailout. My question is...if Congress and The Senate are representing the people of their respective districts, why did this thievery being called a bailout pass? Seems to me that if the public had their opinion counted, this never would have happened. Why do we need representatives if they are not representing the majority? This government either needs one hell of an overhaul, a revolution or a coup. We are being robbed, plain and simple.
We rarely agree but this post is spot on!

Old 12-23-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Give me a break willya? The repubs caused the mess, and the dems and repubs voted for the bailouts.
Nice try but not everything is the fault of the republicans.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:23 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
well saganista, sounds to me as if the ca$h went to a bunch of teenagers. my daughter used to do the same thing with the money we'd give her for washing dishes, cleaning house, well but, that's no comparison at all, at least she did something for the $$$, more than we can say for the non-sayers.
I'm just trying to point out that people are apparently expecting something that doesn't exist under any conditions...a one-to-one correspondence between dollars in and dollars out. Next to nothing works that way. None of the $350 billion has disappeared. None of it has been used for cushy bonuses or lavish parties. The bulk of it is sitting out there being what it was always supposed to be...capital reserves to lend against replacing those that went up in smoke and mirrors as this crisis was allowed to unfold. People want to see something tangible for their investment. Natural enough, but what you've bought here is things that haven't happened. All of them bad. I'll be happy to smack Paulson and Kashkari around for their seemingly total lack of interest in getting the oversight mechanisms called for under TARP up and running. I'll agree that in their haste, they haven't been aggressive enough in wringing the excess water out of stockholders in creating these initial deals. But it is still the case that you won't be able to find anyone with a head on his or her shoulders who won't say that the situation that exists out there today isn't better than what it would have been had those bailout bucks failed to materialize...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies