Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 06:45 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,768,601 times

Advertisements

You've got to be kidding yourself, ya know? But first;

Quote:
President-elect Obama chooses as his science adviser and head of our weather research agency two global warming activists who believe your SUV is driving us over a climate cliff.

Personnel is policy, the political cliche goes, and on Saturday the Obama administration's policy on global warming became clear.

He nominated Harvard physicist John Holden to be his science adviser as director of the White House Office of Science and Technology, and marine biologist Jane Lubchenco to head to head the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
IBDeditorials.com: Editorials, Political Cartoons, and Polls from Investor's Business Daily -- NOAA's Ark (http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=314842335792193 - broken link)

I'll only say this: There may be, in fact, global warming, but it ain't gone happen tomorrow! Or next year! Maybe in a decade, maybe in a century, but not anytime soon.

So, all y'all living in fear of dying from the heat, heck, just move north. Granted, you may end up living at the North Pole, or even the South Pole, if you live another millenia or two, but I don't think so. Really, get a grip, folks! The Earth is its own furnace, heating and cooling daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 06:51 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,634,279 times
Yes there is global warming. No I don't think its going to kill us all. We should be far more concerned about the quality of our freshwater supply.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:56 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times
I certainly believe pollution hasn't helped the Earth any -- but ice ages and warmings are a part of the Earths cyclical nature. Personally I worry more about the fresh water supply as well as the Ozone layer.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:57 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post

I'll only say this: There may be, in fact, global warming, but it ain't gone happen tomorrow! Or next year! Maybe in a decade, maybe in a century, but not anytime soon.

So, all y'all living in fear of dying from the heat, heck, just move north. Granted, you may end up living at the North Pole, or even the South Pole, if you live another millenia or two, but I don't think so. Really, get a grip, folks! The Earth is its own furnace, heating and cooling daily.
Get a grip?

First, you get a clue. You are seriously asking if there is global warming? Something that has been increasing in severity for years now.

[MOD CUT/personal attack]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-22-2008 at 11:33 PM..

Old 12-22-2008, 07:02 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,486,551 times
That the earth has gotten warmer is not in dispute. They can measure it, ya know?

Whether humans have caused some or all of it, whether the doomsday scenarios are plausible, whether it can be corrected or whether it will correct itself, I'm in no position to say. I'm not a scientist. Most scientists seem to have concluded that it's a fairly major threat, and unless I have some great countervailing evidence, I trust the experts in their own field.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:07 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,907 times
I believe humanity has upset the balance of nature and will pay the price...soon. Population is not the cause because this planet can handle more than it has now. The systematic separation of humanity from its source is the real cause. The effect is unproven. Whether it's a warmer planet, a cooler one, a nuked one, or a polar axis shift, we will know for certain that we have erred.

898 posts, read 1,403,197 times
Evidence seems to say that the earth has gotten warmer. What I disagree with is that it is man made. I think that politicians are fools to think we can do anything to change it.

273 posts, read 342,996 times
Absolutely. It is an inconvenient truth.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:12 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,689,554 times
I believe scientists and a vast majority of them think it is quite real. Scientists can be wrong but I would rather trust them than anyone else - especially those with political agendas.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Evidence seems to say that the earth has gotten warmer. What I disagree with is that it is man made. I think that politicians are fools to think we can do anything to change it.
If it has gotten warmer in the last 50 years and such warmth coincides with a threefold increase in the human population and the production of waste as well as untold billions of tons of pollution pushed into the atmosphere, why is the cause NOT man-made? The natural world hasn't changed by itself, we have changed it. While I agree we may not be able to do anything to change what has already started, to attribute it to something other than ourselves is a weak, unscientific argument. It also wrongly tends to absolve humanity of its responsibility and obligations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies