Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 01:59 PM

357 posts, read 1,463,558 times

Advertisements

How come when you hear of a crime in toronto these days, its usually a black person commiting it?
growing up in toronto in the 80s/90s, i had no idea that there was ever a stereotype of blacks being criminals...every murder i heard of in the late 80s/early 90s in toronto was either commited by a white/italian maffia or a chinese gang. i remember hearing alot about asian gangs in toronto growing up but nothing about blacks even though statscan shows that there was almost as many blacks in toronto in 1991 as there is now.

then why now are so many murderers black in toronto? is it the influence of gangsta rap? i rmember rap in the 80s but it seemed so innocent and light-hearted compared to todays cop-killer lyrics.

so basically im asking...why so many white and asian killers then, and so many black ones now even though the demographics have hardly changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 05:05 AM

1 posts, read 7,688 times
Default ummm

You have a bad memory- I grew up in Toronto in the 80s and 90s too. The 90s was the height of youth/gang violence all across North America due to the heavy drug trade at the time. Race relations with police [in particular, the police union at the time] and black community in Toronto was very bad due to several sensational police shootings and biased media -like the Sun- playing up black offender-caused crimes to create stereotypical fervour. I'm not sure how you could not recall that period.

Also when you look at stats and you see figures based on race, you're not getting the whole picture. What you may see as a wide spread epidemic of crime across one race-based community could really be attributed to a small number of punks commiting ALOT of crime -which obviously means saying alot of members in that community are commiting a crime may in fact be inaccurate and unfair.

I agree with the fact that the influence of vulgar rap music has smashed many youth's potential to be consciensius and decent human beings -the crappy messages from that music is all about 'me,me,me' and 'bling, bling'. While it seems to be mere entertainment for fans/kids in families with decent income, poorer kids take to the music like a religion and a new-found family since they finally see a 'role' of power they can relate to-by skin-colour alone. I think we need more black role models who have excelled in various 'normal' professions communicating with black youth at risk to aspire to be normal citizens and work hard in society -even if for their own kids future [and there are alot in spite of how the media and advertising would omit blacks as having 'normal roles' in society -generally].

Politicians need to get off their asses and spend more on kids while they are pre-teens - by the time they are teens its usually too late to have a major influence. Look at Bush for example- all the hundreds of billions of dollars he's criminally spentto fight his 'version' of terrorism in Iraq...... he cares not one bit about spending that kind of money to destroy the terrorism, death and community destruction by street gangs in American cities meanwhile. Its pathetic.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:03 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
Third World immigrants to First World countries do not vote or otherwise impact local politics in any way. It must be said that there is a hierarchy of 'color' that trumps that of race that exists in every human system on earth. The darker citizens of any race will be treated worse and have less opportunities than lighter, whiter citizens of the same or different races. Thus, in a country like Canada blacks will occupy the lowest of all possible social strata and may gravitate towards crime out of desperation. Caucasian Mafia, Chinese gangs: these are criminal elements whose motivation is power and money. The denizens of these crime familes and gang cultures do not belong to untouchable castes and are in it for the thrill and the power and the violence. The numbers are relatively few. The crime prevalent in the black communities is of a more desperate and despairing nature. It is motivated by deprivation and frustration, ignorance and anger. Numbers are higher. Law enforcement has litte incentive to end crime. Crime is their business. They simply want to control it to keep their budgets and influence continued. People want crime ended. The police want crime to continue. It's a paradox. Blacks are caught in the middle.

H

Old 01-01-2009, 04:15 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
Interestingly, the city of Toronto recorded 70 murders in 2008 - a drop from 84 in 2007:

GTA murders drop in 2008

That would be an astonishingly low number were Toronto a US city.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:11 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The darker citizens of any race will be treated worse and have less opportunities than lighter, whiter citizens of the same or different races. Thus, in a country like Canada blacks will occupy the lowest of all possible social strata and may gravitate towards crime out of desperation.
honestly, i do not understand your logic.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:25 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,935,593 times
What part of "lowest of all possible social strata" is difficult to understand? I was trying to give Canada an out in that I know Canada did not have the systemic racial apartheid of slavery to fuel a deep divide between white and black people but point out that there is a human bias towards whiter individuals being perceived as better than darker people no matter what their race.

H

Old 01-02-2009, 02:32 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
How come when you hear of a crime in toronto these days, its usually a black person commiting it?
growing up in toronto in the 80s/90s, i had no idea that there was ever a stereotype of blacks being criminals...every murder i heard of in the late 80s/early 90s in toronto was either commited by a white/italian maffia or a chinese gang. i remember hearing alot about asian gangs in toronto growing up but nothing about blacks even though statscan shows that there was almost as many blacks in toronto in 1991 as there is now.

then why now are so many murderers black in toronto? is it the influence of gangsta rap? i rmember rap in the 80s but it seemed so innocent and light-hearted compared to todays cop-killer lyrics.

so basically im asking...why so many white and asian killers then, and so many black ones now even though the demographics have hardly changed?

were italians etc during the 80's killing and being criminals because of frank sinatra

Old 01-02-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
What part of "lowest of all possible social strata" is difficult to understand? I was trying to give Canada an out in that I know Canada did not have the systemic racial apartheid of slavery to fuel a deep divide between white and black people but point out that there is a human bias towards whiter individuals being perceived as better than darker people no matter what their race.

H

there were slavery in canada, not as long as the U.S

Old 01-02-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoyo View Post
you have a bad memory- i grew up in toronto in the 80s and 90s too. The 90s was the height of youth/gang violence all across north america due to the heavy drug trade at the time. Race relations with police [in particular, the police union at the time] and black community in toronto was very bad due to several sensational police shootings and biased media -like the sun- playing up black offender-caused crimes to create stereotypical fervour. I'm not sure how you could not recall that period.

Also when you look at stats and you see figures based on race, you're not getting the whole picture. What you may see as a wide spread epidemic of crime across one race-based community could really be attributed to a small number of punks commiting alot of crime -which obviously means saying alot of members in that community are commiting a crime may in fact be inaccurate and unfair.

I agree with the fact that the influence of vulgar rap music has smashed many youth's potential to be consciensius and decent human beings -the crappy messages from that music is all about 'me,me,me' and 'bling, bling'. While it seems to be mere entertainment for fans/kids in families with decent income, poorer kids take to the music like a religion and a new-found family since they finally see a 'role' of power they can relate to-by skin-colour alone. I think we need more black role models who have excelled in various 'normal' professions communicating with black youth at risk to aspire to be normal citizens and work hard in society -even if for their own kids future [and there are alot in spite of how the media and advertising would omit blacks as having 'normal roles' in society -generally].

Politicians need to get off their asses and spend more on kids while they are pre-teens - by the time they are teens its usually too late to have a major influence. Look at bush for example- all the hundreds of billions of dollars he's criminally spentto fight his 'version' of terrorism in iraq...... He cares not one bit about spending that kind of money to destroy the terrorism, death and community destruction by street gangs in american cities meanwhile. Its pathetic.
stop blaming music for evErything, what kind of movies, tv shows do u watch

Old 11-27-2010, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,791 times
The Afrocentric school amazes me, black people created an all-black school and it's said the kids performance really got improved, I wonder if they would like to try an "Afrocentric neighbourhood"
or something like that, may be they'll also do better ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies