Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:01 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times

Advertisements

While many posters rejoice in Obama proposing caps on executive compensation and golden parachutes for companies getting government assistance (and I generally agree with the posters), another item received little notice:

The administration also will propose long-term compensation restrictions even for companies that don't receive government assistance, Obama said.

Those proposals include:

• Requiring top executives at financial institutions to hold stock for several years before they can cash out.

• A Treasury-sponsored conference on a long-term overhaul of executive compensation.

Obama caps executive pay tied to bailout money - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090204/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bailout_executive_pay - broken link)

I object to this proposal, companies not requesting government assistance shouldn't be restricted in setting compensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 01:06 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,053,820 times
A mixed bag of possibilities. Not being allowed to cash out while still employed is one thing. However to not be able to cash in for several years after they are no longer calling the shots is another thing.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:12 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
While many posters rejoice in Obama proposing caps on executive compensation and golden parachutes for companies getting government assistance (and I generally agree with the posters), another item received little notice:

The administration also will propose long-term compensation restrictions even for companies that don't receive government assistance, Obama said.

Those proposals include:

• Requiring top executives at financial institutions to hold stock for several years before they can cash out.

• A Treasury-sponsored conference on a long-term overhaul of executive compensation.

Obama caps executive pay tied to bailout money - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090204/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bailout_executive_pay - broken link)

I object to this proposal, companies not requesting government assistance shouldn't be restricted in setting compensation.

The three items in the proposal (I know, you've only listed two) are not so bad, in my opinion. Asking executives to hold stocks they've acquired as compensation for a certain time period gives those executives additional incentive to see that their company performs well. And the second item, the one you left out, is a non-binding request that executives submit their compensation agreement to the stockholders of a company. I think this is an excellent idea. It's non-binding, but it empowers stockholders by providing them with key information, and by allowing them more opportunity to confront boards of directors who've been offering these ridiculous compensation packages. The third item--a Treasury-sponsored conference to assess over the long-haul what kind of compensation is appropriate for top executives, is just another government conference. But a discussion of these packages is certainly timely right now.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:26 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,227,257 times
I disagree, compensation should be set by the Board of Directors, selected by the stockholders. Stock options can be cashed as they deem appropriate.

This reminds me soooooo much of the initial discussions concerning smoking...

Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
I disagree, compensation should be set by the Board of Directors, selected by the stockholders. Stock options can be cashed as they deem appropriate.

This reminds me soooooo much of the initial discussions concerning smoking...
As to the Board of Directors setting compensation, the proposal is NON-binding, so it really is just for the sake of transparency. And while I certainly see your point about stock options, I think you can appreciate that asking executives to hold them does give the executive incentive to make them more valuable over time. I agree with you wholeheartedly that since these companies are not receiving federal funds, requiring them to do anything is out of line. But suggesting that they overhaul the way they make decisions regarding compensation, and giving them specific ideas of how to do that, seems more like constructive criticism rather than government interference.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:40 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
>I object to this proposal, companies not requesting government assistance shouldn't be restricted in setting compensation.<

I think you are getting what you ask. You have to come to the trough to be restricted.

They should be glad they dont head auto companies. They get alot less bailout, beaten up more by congress, and their pay cap is $1 a year.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:49 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:

Those proposals include:

That's beyond ridiculous.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:50 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,041 times
I have one thing to say to this...
Asking for government assistance is like making a deal with the devil.
Evenutally the devil comes to collect his due and in the process he will take us all with him.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:50 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
>I object to this proposal, companies not requesting government assistance shouldn't be restricted in setting compensation.<

I think you are getting what you ask. You have to come to the trough to be restricted.

They should be glad they dont head auto companies. They get alot less bailout, beaten up more by congress, and their pay cap is $1 a year.
True. The bailouts seems to be like a loan from the mob. Accept it and they own you.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:52 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Unless the entire world follows the plan this is just a disastrous plan aimed at sending more of our talent elsewhere. No better than bringing people in that get doctoral degrees then sending them on their way off to the competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies