Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:23 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times

Advertisements

I guess the Somalis have decided that since four guys in a raft can render the US Navy impotent, they're going to just start boarding US owned vessels at-will.

I do hope that Obama actually has a plan, and is just keeping quiet about it for some reason. I'd hate to think that he really is as unable to deal with these relatively minor events as he appears to be.

FOXNews.com - U.S.-Owned Tugboat With Italians Aboard Hijacked Off Somalia - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 09:27 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,318,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I do hope that Obama actually has a plan,
Oh he does.
It's apologize profusely for having arrogant American vessels in their pirate infested international waters.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:28 AM

654 posts, read 1,211,059 times
Have no fear. I understand that Dear Leader is going to appoint Johnny Depp as Secretary of Pirate Affairs and send him to the region to 'open a dialogue' with the International Pirate Committee.

Now, how about Michelle Obama's wardrobe. Isn't it stunning!!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:30 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Quote:
I guess the Somalis have decided that since four guys in a raft can render the US Navy impotent, they're going to just start boarding US owned vessels at-will.

I do hope that Obama actually has a plan, and is just keeping quiet about it for some reason. I'd hate to think that he really is as unable to deal with these relatively minor events as he appears to be.

FOXNews.com - U.S.-Owned Tugboat With Italians Aboard Hijacked Off Somalia - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
Expect this to continue and to get worse. No one is scared of prancy legs Obama. These type of events will continue and increase at a rapid pace because there is nor fear of reprecussion from Obumble.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:31 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,981 times
Quote:

How did DUBYA deal with the Somali pirates??? Enlighten us - this piracy problem has been raging for 10 years...

What did DUBYA do that Obama is not doing???

Obama is sending more Naval vessels to the area - what else do you want???

What is YOUR solution to the problem?

Old 04-11-2009, 09:31 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,694,870 times
Obama is asking that the pirates talk with him without any preconditions.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:34 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
How did DUBYA deal with the Somali pirates??? Enlighten us - this piracy problem has been raging for 10 years...

Ummmmm.......Obama is the POTUS. It is HIS job to supply the solutions. Not posters on CD. Wasn't he the one that had all the answers and was suppose to bring the positive change??????

If solutions are being solicited from posters on CD, then have a MUCH WEAKER and DUMB president than I even thought.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:01 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
How did DUBYA deal with the Somali pirates???
Enlighten us - this piracy problem has been raging for 10 years...

You seem to be a very angry and defensive person. Why is that?

Did I deride or insult President Obama in some way? My post was intentionally politically neutral.

Relax and stick to the topic, please.

Oh, and piracy has been a problem for much longer than 10 years.

Now, to address the only line in your post that actually has something to do with the topic -

Quote:
What effect has that had? Four guys in a glorified rowboat have effectively incapacitated the United States Navy. You don't have a problem with that?

What do I want? I want a SEAL team in there three days ago and the pirates' heads popped like pumpkins two days and twenty hours ago, that's what. I want our President to demonstrate a willingness to take action.

Now, as I said in the OP, I hope that he has a plan that he's just not making public for some reason. I wouldn't expect that he'd publish the details, but a simple "we have a plan and are taking the steps required to put it into action" would have been nice. Maybe it would have kept the Somalis from hijacking that tugboat this morning.

I guess you didn't notice, but I was giving the President the benefit of the doubt here. Your response to such a neutral post tells me that you're willing to throw all logic and reason out the window when discussing Obama or anything connected to him. Your attitude is like that of people who are unwaveringly militant about their religion, and frankly, that's scary. The President is just a man, you know.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:42 AM

946 posts, read 2,604,932 times
Our CIA, lacking supervision as has become the custom, paid warlords (probably some of the same people currently hijacking ships) up to 150k so they'd fight the Islamist government of Somalia. Worked out like most programs conducted without legal oversight, kinda like our other projects in the Banastans. One of the consequences was the fall of the Islamist govm't and a subsequent lack of government authority and control. Nothing happens in life without cause. These pirates did not spring from the forehead of Zeus fully formed, like a Greek myth. They were grown and cultivated by the causes in their country and we share a significant responsibility in this growth. Reap the whirlwind.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:43 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Obama plans on talking them to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies