Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 05:11 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,430,319 times

Advertisements

Of the top 10 states with the highest average annual smoking death rates, Kentucky, West Virginia, Nevada, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Indiana and Missouri, only Indiana and Nevada went blue this past Nov...and even in those cases, both states are traditionally red.

Now, you may ask, is all this just a coincidence? Or is it just further confirmation that the majority of the GOP's supporters are, on the whole, just stupid rednecks? Judge for yourself, but the evidence is rather damning.

CDC study: Kentucky has highest smoking death rate - NewsFlash - OregonLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 06:03 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Of the top 10 states with the highest average annual smoking death rates, Kentucky, West Virginia, Nevada, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Indiana and Missouri, only Indiana and Nevada went blue this past Nov...and even in those cases, both states are traditionally red.

Now, you may ask, is all this just a coincidence? Or is it just further confirmation that the majority of the GOP's supporters are, on the whole, just stupid rednecks? Judge for yourself, but the evidence is rather damning.

CDC study: Kentucky has highest smoking death rate - NewsFlash - OregonLive.com
1. Those states hardly make up the "majority" of the GOP supporters.

2. How does smoking automatically make one a "stupid redneck"?

Old 01-22-2009, 06:07 PM

13 posts, read 48,034 times
Maybe poverty/lack of access to good care might have something to do with it?

Oh wait, this is the POC forum so everything is solely red/blue issue. Carry on.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
1. Those states hardly make up the "majority" of the GOP supporters.

2. How does smoking automatically make one a "stupid redneck"?
This is just my opinion, but anybody who purposely inhales carcinogens, indeed pays good money to do so...has issues.

Virtually every one of the top ten states are filled with rednecks..

The definition of a redneck...

red⋅neck

   /ˈrɛdˌnɛk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [red-nek] Show IPA Pronunciation
Informal: Often Disparaging. –noun 1. an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South. 2. a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.

The key word in this case is "uneducated"..though "bigot" would be relevant as well, since prejudice is usually a product of a lack of education.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:23 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
This is just my opinion, but anybody who purposely inhales carcinogens, indeed pays good money to do so...has issues.

Virtually every one of the top ten states are filled with rednecks..

The definition of a redneck...

red⋅neck

   /ˈrɛdˌnɛk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [red-nek] Show IPA Pronunciation
Informal: Often Disparaging. –noun 1. an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South. 2. a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.

The key word in this case is "uneducated"..though "bigot" would be relevant as well, since prejudice is usually a product of a lack of education.
I wouldn't be so quick to bash all smokers......

Remember who smokes cigarettes occasionaly, and is sitting in the White House now......

Old 01-22-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to bash all smokers......

Remember who smokes cigarettes occasionaly, and is sitting in the White House now......

I'm quite aware of Obama's problem. Hopefully, he will embrace fully his position as a role model, and will quit the nasty habit. If not, he should be judged accordingly.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:37 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
I've seen other data that show the same group of states is also the most obese and has the highest incidence of diabetes.

Poor education (ignorance) exacts a high price on it's victims, both black and white. The issue is further aggravated by societal attitudes in those places that tend to keep people from breaking out of their multi-generational frameworks.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:45 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,506 times
No surprise here. They are the same group that does not believe in global warming why would they believe that cigarettes cause cancer and cancer kills. Like being inept to believing in sciences.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:07 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I've seen other data that show the same group of states is also the most obese and has the highest incidence of diabetes.

Poor education (ignorance) exacts a high price on it's victims, both black and white. The issue is further aggravated by societal attitudes in those places that tend to keep people from breaking out of their multi-generational frameworks.
I live in the Dorchester section of Boston.
Down the street is a convenience store where many many overweight people sit around playing the lottery with nicotine stained fingers.
Boston could not be more blue.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:10 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,842,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

And I have seen data that these same group of states have a much higher fertility rates than their blue state counterparts. So I guess it will all work out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies