Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 06:54 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times

Advertisements

In-flight confrontations can lead to charges defined as terrorism

By Ralph Vartabedian and Peter Pae
January 20, 2009

Tamera Jo Freeman was on a Frontier Airlines flight to Denver in 2007 when her two children began to quarrel over the window shade and then spilled a Bloody Mary into her lap.

She spanked each of them on the thigh with three swats. It was a small incident, but one that in the heightened anxiety after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks would eventually have enormous ramifications for Freeman and her children.

For full story, see:

In-flight confrontations can lead to charges defined as terrorism - Los Angeles Times

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 01-22-2009 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
The only thing this mother is guilty of is not keeping her cool in public, which, last I checked wasn't against the law. She made more of an embarassment of herself.

Complete overreactions on everyone's parts. Goodness! What does she do when he kids spill at home??? At the most, this should have ended with child services investigating, not her being put in jail!

But then again, I guess that'll "learn" her kids for not being careful right? Please! Hey Susie, if you spill juice on a plane, mommy is going to jail! I can see the collective children of this country now scheming! Better not let my kids hear about this.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:02 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
She wasn't arrested for spanking her kids. She was arrested for causing a disturbance on an airplane when she uttered profanity at flight attendants and threw her tomato juice can on the floor. Rightfully so.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 AM

114 posts, read 180,491 times
Of course, when the patriot act was passed, it was advertised that it was only going to be used for terrorist activities; of course, since its inception, there have been a lot of 'domestic' non terrorist cases where the patriot act has been used. The reality is that the mother did over react and misbehave, but was that really an offense that required her 2 kids to be taken away from her? Were the other passengers threatened by her behavior?
For those that argue this was the right thing to do, now we have 2 children in foster homes, and studies done in the past have shown that foster kids have a tendency to astray from a crime free life.
Hence, instead of maybe giving the woman a hefty fine which most likely would have taught her a lesson to behave when flying, now we got a 'terrorist' and 2 kids whose lives have been ruined.
Common sense has left this nation, and soon, we will be the ones being charged with a terrorist crime for questioning the egomaniac authorities.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
What, exactly, constitutes a terrorist activity? The last time I flew, a jar of vegetable soup that my mother prepared for me to take home was confiscated at the airport. Although I tried to reason this out, I could not quite fathom how my having that jar in my suitcase compromised the security of United States airways. And if I had actually been a terrorist, I suspect that I might have had other weaponry in my arsenal more effective than vegetable soup--although I admit I could be wrong about this.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,636,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
What, exactly, constitutes a terrorist activity? The last time I flew, a jar of vegetable soup that my mother prepared for me to take home was confiscated at the airport. Although I tried to reason this out, I could not quite fathom how my having that jar in my suitcase compromised the security of United States airways. And if I had actually been a terrorist, I suspect that I might have had other weaponry in my arsenal more effective than vegetable soup--although I admit I could be wrong about this.
Well, it was quite funny last time I went through security in Chicago. Several of the security personnel couldn't speak proper English. Let's just say they weren't the most competent people around.

I got the impression they were people who couldn't get other jobs. It's possible they were an exception. I doubt these are the people who would stop any terrorists. That must happen at some other level.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
She wasn't arrested for spanking her kids. She was arrested for causing a disturbance on an airplane when she uttered profanity at flight attendants and threw her tomato juice can on the floor. Rightfully so.
Throwing tomato juice is not "terrorism".

Old 01-22-2009, 11:39 AM

799 posts, read 1,445,740 times
I don't think any of our reps bothered to read the Patriot Act until it passed.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:41 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,463,479 times
It's the USA PATRIOT Act. "PATRIOT" is an acronym. How clever of the Bushies at the time.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Reconsidering The Patriot Act - Ron Paul

Quote of the Day (from article linked above):
“Trust us – we’re the government and we say the Patriot Act does not threaten civil liberties.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies