Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should 55+ Communities Be Allowed Or Banned?
55 Plus Only Communities Should Be BANNED 7 6.14%
55 Plus Only Communities Should Be ALLOWED 90 78.95%
Should Be Allowed Only In Certain Circumstances 17 14.91%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:51 PM

102 posts, read 309,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I'm 100% for freedom of choice on EVERYTHING as long as it doesn't bother me personally,so I see no problem with them living how they want to....I do not see where if I was a person who didn't want to live around kids,blacks,whites,asians or martians and I had the money to live in one of the places that didn't allow that group why it would be anyone else's damn business.Live where and how you want to and let others do the same.

Yeah, please let them live in a 55 and older community and let them be.

Better that than they be around us all depressed and controlling in a way that is not positive for children's normal activities and development. Let kids be kids. If you cannot tolerate noise and action it may be a sign of rapid ageing with depression and paranoia along with confusion and therefore possibly demensia(spelling?) so get into a supporting community and get medical help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 02:01 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweating in Florida View Post

Better that than they be around us all depressed and controlling in a way that is not positive for children's normal activities and development. Let kids be kids. If you cannot tolerate noise and action it may be a sign of rapid ageing with depression and paranoia along with confusion and therefore possibly demensia(spelling?) so get into a supporting community and get medical help.
And it may be a sign that we just don't want to be around spoiled, poorly behaved brats.

Bad behavior in children may be a sign of entitled parents who don't understand that their kids aren't cute to anyone else but them.
If this weren't true, why would Supernanny be on TV?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,510,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

Bad behavior in children may be a sign of entitled parents who don't understand that their kids aren't cute to anyone else but them.
Agreed

Old 01-14-2009, 02:07 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
While I myself could never live in one, I think those that choose to want to be in an older adults only community should be allowed to do so

Old 01-14-2009, 02:09 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweating in Florida View Post

There are PLENTY of active adults over 55 communities with people residing in them no where near your description.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:43 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Don't do enough? We pay them SSI, cover their medical care, every politican throws every benefit they can invent at them - paid for with our tax dollars - and now we are even paying for their drugs. Please spare me the pity party for our benighted seniors. I've seen to many Caddy's and Lincolns jockeying for the handicap spots at Coco's during the early bird specail to swallow that tripe anymore.
Geez. One would think that these seniors have never paid taxes themselves or contributed a damn thing to this country from the way you are making it sound. God forbid someone who has worked their ass off for a lifetime and in a lot of cases with the elderly, served their country have a freaking nice vehicle to drive. Those old bastards.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
I find it amazing that anyone can be against seniors living in a seniors only community. You ***** because they are slow checking out at the store, you have temper tantrums of heart stopping magnitude when you get behind a senior in traffic, and you sure don't want to talk to them. You probably don't even bother with, care for, or visit your own parents. So what's the beef? Do you want to move in and drive the seniors out? Looking for a group that you can bully? Afraid of you own destiny?

Old 01-14-2009, 02:56 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And it may be a sign that we just don't want to be around spoiled, poorly behaved brats.

If this weren't true, why would Supernanny be on TV?
A more then fair assesment. I can see why some people may not think it is 'cute' that my driveway resembles a garage sale from April through October, what with all the bikes, trikes, scooters, and a fleet of Tonka trucks in it. I can perfectly understand why some neighbors will not be happy when/if my teenager 'burns rubber' leaving the house, or comes home at midnight with his/her stereo blasting. Hell, I may not like all of these things -- but as a parent, my job is to live with them while guiding my children into a productive adulthood. But, that job is not the job for the community at large. And anyone who believes otherwise would be a complete tool, imho.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:06 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Don't do enough? We pay them SSI, cover their medical care, every politican throws every benefit they can invent at them - paid for with our tax dollars - and now we are even paying for their drugs. Please spare me the pity party for our benighted seniors.

If seniors want more respect from society stay engaged and lend us the wisdom of your years. Walling yourself off into senior communities where you can hang out with other oldsters and relive the bygone years isn't going to help.
I think a lot of seniors would love to stick around and share their wisdom, but we as a society tend to marginalize and disenfranchise them.

I see your point on how we do take care of these people, but they paid into the system for this very reason. A system, btw, that we wouldn't need if we didn't shamelessly pawn off our seniors to be taken care of by the state instead of their own families. As someone from an asian background, I still say we treat our seniors poorly, despite paying for medical care and reiumbursing the social security they paid into the system for.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:14 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I find it amazing that anyone can be against seniors living in a seniors only community. You ***** because they are slow checking out at the store, you have temper tantrums of heart stopping magnitude when you get behind a senior in traffic, and you sure don't want to talk to them. You probably don't even bother with, care for, or visit your own parents. So what's the beef? Do you want to move in and drive the seniors out? Looking for a group that you can bully? Afraid of you own destiny?
I love old people. But sometimes, yes, their driving skills or lack thereof irritate me. I always feel guilty whenever I see really old, sweet-looking people. Like on the bus one time, the bus driver pulled away just as an elderly man was walking to the stop with his grocery bags and I yelled really quick for the bus driver to wait (because sometimes the driver will) but she didn't and I just felt so bad. I don't really get it, but everytime I look at old people I just feel guilty for real and perceived injustices that other people visit on them. I definitely understand why they want to be somewhere peaceful and quiet for their retirement and so we should try to be understanding of them. Besides, it's not as if these communities comprise a huge percentage of available housing anyway and until they do, I don't think it presents an issue at all. So long as the only criteria is age, not race or sexual orientation or religion, then it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies