Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:32 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,712,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If that is the case Kev - I'm sure you can point all of to a source for your "well known fact"
http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/nhsda/tobacco/chapter7.htm

African Americans were more likely to select mentholated cigarette brands as their top choices. Newport, a menthol cigarette brand, was preferred by three quarters of African-American smokers aged 12 to 25.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post

African Americans were more likely to select mentholated cigarette brands as their top choices. Newport, a menthol cigarette brand, was preferred by three quarters of African-American smokers aged 12 to 25.

Thanks

Old 01-16-2009, 04:41 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:

I figured it was Kool or Newport. My source is my personal experience.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:41 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Quote:
Ya know, you've inspired me...I'm going to send Obama a carton of cigarettes a week and encourage him to smoke up.

Anyone know what brand he smokes? And for the record, responding with "Kools" or "menthol", although funny, will be considered racist and will not be replied to.
He smokes camels

Old 01-16-2009, 04:42 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,712,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Thanks
Don't it suck when someone can provide concrete proof of something before you can really nail them for being racist?

Old 01-16-2009, 04:56 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,727 times
I smoke (pack a week, roughly); only at night after work.

I do agree with some of the original sentiment.
Because of his popularity (a politician who is a role-model? strange), I hope he does keep it private.

I worry that public images of a highly regarded individual enjoying a cigarette might encourage smoking.
Speculation only, of course.

I should add, that so far I haven't seen many pictures of him smoking - so I think he's doing a pretty decent job of keeping it low-key.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:05 PM

558 posts, read 1,836,254 times
Quote:
Ya know, you've inspired me...I'm going to send Obama a carton of cigarettes a week and encourage him to smoke up.

Anyone know what brand he smokes? And for the record, responding with "Kools" or "menthol", although funny, will be considered racist and will not be replied to.
I read that he smokes Marlboros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
He smokes camels
Are you sure? Why do you say that?

OP-
Who cares if Obama smokes or not? Our country has much more serious issues to worry about right now.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:09 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Dear President Obama:

Like millions of Americans who admire you and think you are one of the smartest and most intelligent presidents we have ever had, I am glad to see you are my President.
While I will follow you and trust you to lead this nation, I am quite concerned about your smoking habit and the effects it will have on you, your family and the nation as a whole.
I will be honest with you- I detest cigarette smokers. I don't like being around them. They stink, have yellow teeth and dump butts all over the landscape. In short they are slobs.
But the worst thing is that smokers are dope addicts. In my view they are the worst kind of dope addicts because they feel the need to affect everybody around them with their addiction. They smoke in public, they smoke around their kids in cars, they smoke at home and they blow smoke into the faces of their babies. And, yes, the slobs even smoke while pregnant for 9 months. At least a Heroin addict keeps his habit to himself.
It cannot be an exaggeration to say that smokers cause many children to become ill and even die- if not from smoking itself from the hundreds of fires they set every year with cigarettes.
The shocker of the whole thing is this- I too was an addict. I was an addict for 25 years from the time I was 14! And I smoked a hell of alot more than a half pack a day for much of it. But one day I saw how damn STUPID this was and I laid it aside for good. No it was not easy and even now many years later I sometimes yearn for a smoke. But as time passes it does get easier to stay clean.
I would never hire a smoker if I owned a business. I don't want the filth, the smell or his health problems in my business. I would honestly prefer a pot smoker! That said, I "hired" you via my vote to lead my country. And I did so knowing you are smoking.
The time has come for you to stop. You should promise this to yourself and your family and the nation you lead. You have smoked less time and less cigarettes than I did and certainly as President of the United States, you can get the kind of medical assistance I never could to help you stop.
It is my hope you will do so and inspire others to do likewise.
Well, I doubt you'll score many points with that!

I will have to disagree that he is "one of the smartest and most intelligent" Presidents... Based on what? He hasn't done anything yet; he isn't even in office.

Besides, from what we have seen so far in his speeches, and opinions, he is far from the brightest bulb. Personally, I don't think he has a clue. If he did, he might take note that even President Kennedy (whom the Democrats still worship, to a large extent) saw the value in tax cuts to stumulate the economy (works every time...where do you think Reagan got the idea?).

Be that as it may, you weren't exactly tactful in your approach to the smoking issue.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:12 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
I read that he smokes Marlboros.

Are you sure? Why do you say that?

OP-
Who cares if Obama smokes or not? Our country has much more serious issues to worry about right now.
I saw it on the news, they could be wrong

Old 01-16-2009, 05:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,238,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Dear President Obama:

Like millions of Americans who admire you and think you are one of the smartest and most intelligent presidents we have ever had, I am glad to see you are my President.
While I will follow you and trust you to lead this nation, I am quite concerned about your smoking habit and the effects it will have on you, your family and the nation as a whole.
I will be honest with you- I detest cigarette smokers. I don't like being around them. They stink, have yellow teeth and dump butts all over the landscape. In short they are slobs.
But the worst thing is that smokers are dope addicts. In my view they are the worst kind of dope addicts because they feel the need to affect everybody around them with their addiction. They smoke in public, they smoke around their kids in cars, they smoke at home and they blow smoke into the faces of their babies. And, yes, the slobs even smoke while pregnant for 9 months. At least a Heroin addict keeps his habit to himself.
It cannot be an exaggeration to say that smokers cause many children to become ill and even die- if not from smoking itself from the hundreds of fires they set every year with cigarettes.
The shocker of the whole thing is this- I too was an addict. I was an addict for 25 years from the time I was 14! And I smoked a hell of alot more than a half pack a day for much of it. But one day I saw how damn STUPID this was and I laid it aside for good. No it was not easy and even now many years later I sometimes yearn for a smoke. But as time passes it does get easier to stay clean.
I would never hire a smoker if I owned a business. I don't want the filth, the smell or his health problems in my business. I would honestly prefer a pot smoker! That said, I "hired" you via my vote to lead my country. And I did so knowing you are smoking.
The time has come for you to stop. You should promise this to yourself and your family and the nation you lead. You have smoked less time and less cigarettes than I did and certainly as President of the United States, you can get the kind of medical assistance I never could to help you stop.
It is my hope you will do so and inspire others to do likewise.
Oh I suppose you are one of the **perfect people crowd?
Hypocrites are everywhere..let the guy have a smoke if he wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies