Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 01:42 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMaster View Post
I don't really see anything wrong with it... If I had a disease and they could cure me with stem cell research, by all means, do it...
Everybody is against it, until somebody they love is drooling on their shoes.

Ask Nancy Reagan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 01:49 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I know the difference and the point being, it will ONLY be a matter of time before the "fetus" will become the tissue of choice for stem cells... I KNOW the science, do you? It is already heading down that pathway with scientists wanting older and older tissue... I have no problem with them wanting to use embryos but I doubt they will agree to a hard and fast rule against using fetal tissue... If Congress make law that cannot be overturned that states that NO fetal tissue can be used for stem cell harvesting for research purposes, you will DEFINITELY hear stem cell researchers crying foul... they want NO limits and that's where most people are against... so lets take the blinders off, shall we?
So what? It's not going to increase abortion.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:28 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Oh, look! Looks like obama will seek political cover by having congress take up the issue. During the campaign he said he would issue an executive order reversing bush's order from 2001.

Obama may not lift stem cell limits - Carrie Budoff Brown - Politico.com

Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
Let's back up here a minute.

Stem cells seldom if ever, come from aborted fetuses. They are usually too old. Stem cell research comes from the fertilized eggs that are produced during infertility treatments. They are stored, and at some time, thrown away. Researchers need the cells that have not yet developed to a point where the first development of organs has started.

Sooo, which is worse? In the garbage or stem cell research?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:04 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,377,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Everybody is against it, until somebody they love is drooling on their shoes.

Ask Nancy Reagan.
Exactly! Reagan's alzheimers that embryonic cell stem research could potentially cure symbolizes the hypocrisy/irony from the right-wing wackos. That's karma, pure and simple.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:06 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
You do realize that the "best" stem cells are from fetuses? They are pliable and easy to work with... what day would you limit stem cell research? Up to the day it becomes a fetus? Well?

Old 01-17-2009, 02:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I understand the pro-abortion argument that no one can be required to do anything with their body against their will, to include carrying a child to term. I don't agree with it, but I understand the argument. So why would the fetus/embryo be required to do something with it's body against its will? At some point the fetus/embryo becomes a commodity to be bought and sold. Do you see something wrong with that or is that not even possible?
An embryo has "will"?

Old 01-17-2009, 03:58 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
You do realize that the "best" stem cells are from fetuses? They are pliable and easy to work with... what day would you limit stem cell research? Up to the day it becomes a fetus? Well?
Why impose limits at all? If the cells can be of use, and the fetus or embryo isn't going to be harvested into a living human - what is the problem? Late-term abortions aren't legal past a certain point anyway, so I don't think you have to worry about a 6 month-old fetus being aborted for stem cells.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:00 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
An embryo has "will"?
LOL... apparently some people think so. If I'm not mistaken, the embryos are usually just leftovers from fertility treatments, and most likely wouldn't even be ABLE to "turn" into a human. I can't believe how many people will defend a cell, but then support death penalties and war, and oppose social programs that help needy & unwanted children. Hypocrisy much??

Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
It is a fact that adult stem-cells have yielded much more promise than embryonic SCs. I see no reason to create a life just to destroy it by harvesting from that life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies