Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:56 PM

504 posts, read 902,142 times

Advertisements

President Bush Signs H.R. 660, H.R. 3690, S. 863, and H.R. 2640 :H.R. 2640, the "NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007," which requires accurate information on individuals prohibited from possessing firearms to be transmitted by State and local government and Federal agencies to the Justice Department-administered National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS); and provides incentives for facilitating electronic transmission of such information to NICS.
BUSH SIGNS MOST DRACONIAN GUN LAW IN US HISTORY! | Know The Lies - America's new motto... "Please Prepay In Advance"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 06:01 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I am pro-guns and I have no problems with this... wait till the anti-gun come in and make stupid generalizations... I hear them coming...

Old 01-16-2009, 06:20 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,190 times
I don't understand why you're so opposed to this law. First of all, it sounds completely reasonable and like a good safety measure. Second of all, don't you think this will get even anti-gun people on your side? I support the rights of individuals to own guns for hunting and protection purposes but I'm not into the idea that people need Uzis and AK-47s and machine guns to protect their homes. Don't you think that more people like me who think that reasonable gun ownership is fine will support your gun rights more if there are safeguards like this in place?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
at some point in time. armed appointed law enforcement comes to the house and gets the guns you have been reporting on non stop. that is the only issue. zero attempts to secure the weapons in the hands of gangsters zero. this is about the people. all this registration and tracking is going somewhere. its expensive and time consuming they are doing it for a reason its not crime prevention.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,286 times
Passed in 2007, went into effect Jan 2008
H.R. 2640 [110th] - Summary: NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007 (GovTrack.us)
Quote:
[SIZE=-1]The NICS Improvement Amendments Act (H.R. 2640) would require federal agencies to provide relevant records for use in NICS. It would also provide financial incentives to states to do the same, by rewarding states that provide records to NICS and penalizing those that refuse to do so over an extended period of time.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Some pro-gun groups have claimed that H.R. 2640 would “prohibit” thousands of people from owning guns. This is not true; these bills would only enforce current prohibitions. In fact, H.R. 2640 would allow some people now unfairly prohibited from owning guns to have their rights restored, and to have their names removed from the instant check system[/SIZE]
NRA-ILA :: H.R. 2640, the "NICS Improvement Amendments Act" (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?id=219&issue=018 - broken link)

A portion of this was at one time directed towards returning military people. PTSD was considered a mental condition that could stop military from owning firearms.

Here what this Vet has to say
YouTube - HR 2640 - The Veterans Disarmament Bill

Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times
So if I'm caught smoking weed by the cops at one of my house parties, I can't buy another AK rifle for my arsenal?

Bummer.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:05 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I don't understand why you're so opposed to this law. First of all, it sounds completely reasonable and like a good safety measure. Second of all, don't you think this will get even anti-gun people on your side? I support the rights of individuals to own guns for hunting and protection purposes but I'm not into the idea that people need Uzis and AK-47s and machine guns to protect their homes. Don't you think that more people like me who think that reasonable gun ownership is fine will support your gun rights more if there are safeguards like this in place?
I don't have an AK to protect my home. I have one because they're fun. Just like some people drive a car that's capable of going twice the legal speed limit...it's just fun, has nothing to do with "need".

Old 01-16-2009, 10:07 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I prefer an Ak-47 or Uzi then a six-bullet revolver when confronting an intruder... the revolver I can miss... the Uzi, I won't....

Old 01-16-2009, 10:14 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I prefer an Ak-47 or Uzi then a six-bullet revolver when confronting an intruder... the revolver I can miss... the Uzi, I won't....
I'm just concerned with penetration...I want to take out the badguy, not my kids sleeping across the hall.

I have no particular moral or ethical issues with using an AK or Uzi for home defense...just practical concerns. Maybe with the right ammo, I don't know.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:23 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,444,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
yep, and you also won't miss your six year old next door neighbor sleeping in her bed, or your neighbor from across the street coming home from his 2nd job, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies