Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:51 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
So you're saying that the title of the OP is a lie, but that we should be outraged at the Obama Administration's plans, because you say they're lying.

Have I got that right?
What I'm saying is different people think they will push or not push,or at least not push right away.Nobody has a crystal ball to know for sure so the only thing is to wait and see.

My opinion is that even though the Dems have a agenda for gun limitations and and have proven they will lie to push the agenda on the American people I think their thirst for power will prevent them from going after this issue at least right away.They have other agendas they want to do also and if they are smart they will remember what happened to them in the Clinton years when they pushed bans.

Or,they might go for broke and just push their idealism and not worry about the consequences of them angering many voters latter.Im betting they want to remain in power to go for other topics rather than risk their power on legislation against guns.But there is the dirty secret.They don't have to legislate.They can use executive orders to make it hard on gun owners by banning foreign ammo sources or guns from foreign sources.Just little things like that that hurt enthusiasts but do little for crime control really.One stroke of the pen and I'll be faced with loosing foriegn made ammo at a reasonable price and not able to shoot my guns much because I can't find the ammo or I have to pay triple for the ammo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 05:56 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
I've already asked you. If the goal is fewer dead children, why waste your time with the 10th leading cause of death?

And why, exactly do you hate guns? That seems kind of strange to me.
Oh. Okay, I've got it. Re: the first question...I didn't say that was my goal. I didn't even say I had a goal. So I'm not sure where you got that idea.

Why waste my time: Oh, I was just making a comment on an internet forum. Why does anybody waste time on any POV, ever? Or get into a debate about it? Not necessarily to change the world one post at a time.

Why do I hate guns? Because people do in fact die from them. Because they are something deliberately created to inflict harm. I hate medieval torture devices, too. (That's the one History Channel category I uniformly have to turn off. ) It's my right to hate guns, no? They're incredibly loud. They cause pain. The smoky part smells horrible. So I hate them.

So would I cheer control of guns? Oh sure! Would I go picketing, rioting, etc. for it? Of course not. Unlike perhaps some others...I don't feel my personal likes, dislikes and opinions are enough to change everyone else's views and rights. So there you have it.

-- JerZ...sitting here and still hating guns

Old 01-20-2009, 06:01 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Oh. Okay, I've got it. Re: the first question...I didn't say that was my goal. I didn't even say I had a goal. So I'm not sure where you got that idea.

Why waste my time: Oh, I was just making a comment on an internet forum. Why does anybody waste time on any POV, ever? Or get into a debate about it? Not necessarily to change the world one post at a time.
Fair enough

Quote:
Why do I hate guns? Because people do in fact die from them. Because they are something deliberately created to inflict harm. I hate medieval torture devices, too. (That's the one History Channel category I uniformly have to turn off. ) It's my right to hate guns, no? They're incredibly loud. They cause pain. The smoky part smells horrible. So I hate them.
Ever worked a car accident?

I'm an EMT...believe me, car accidents cause far, far more suffering than guns ever could. It's true whether you're talking about types of injury, sheer number of people injured, number of deaths, whatever. Vehicles that I've owned have cause me far, far more pain and suffering than any of my guns ever will...I'm going to have scars and physical debilitation for the rest of my life thanks to one of the trucks that I used to own...my guns? Never caused anything worse than a sore shoulder.

What difference does it make, anyway, WHY something was created? If it causes death and destruction, but was not intended to do so, does that make the death and destruction any less terrible?

Quote:
So would I cheer control of guns? Oh sure! Would I go picketing, rioting, etc. for it? Of course not. Unlike perhaps some others...I don't feel my personal likes, dislikes and opinions are enough to change everyone else's views and rights. So there you have it.

-- JerZ...sitting here and still hating guns
Well, please just realize that hating inanimate objects is rather irrational, ok?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
OK, dunkel, good points...and good on you for your line of work. That takes a strong person (I mean emotionally as well as physically).

My hatred of guns probably is irrational; my irrationality is part of what makes me human. We humans are irrational. We're fanciful. We're a bit weird. Perhaps what I hate is the intent of guns. But because the association is there, when I see one, I feel that negative feeling. So whether it's the gun I hate or the intent, the difference is pretty much negligible considering the outcome.

If that made sense.

Thanks for your calmness and your sincere questions, dunkel!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:29 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,919,537 times
Cool Again, logic prevails...

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Because it ignores the 2nd Amendment....
What if we ignored other Amendments...
How about we ignore the 1st? Censor all media and speech...
Ignore the 14th? Let's bring back discrimination.....
Ignore the 19th? Let's take the vote away from women...

Seriously, all the amendments are in the Constitution for a reason. You cannot pick and choose what ones to follow and what ones to ignore...
Some want to do exactly that, vault!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Did you even think to read your own post? Do it now please....ok, now please tell me where in this post guns are being yanked from gun owners, where? where? Oh I know, pesky childproof triggers, blast those safety measures! Let those kids shoot their heads off, it's their fault they don't know how to safely handle guns!
karfar: you overstep your own logic. Is that even possible? A return to the proven-pointless and ineffective AWB amounts to, yep, yanking them out of law-abiding citizens' hands. Since when did THAT strategy EVER work? (link please..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Does the same apply to your car?
Or your prescription drugs?
Or your liquor cabinet?

Already DOES apply! Haven't you had your TV turned on?

Quote:
Good! I hate guns.
Ahhh. Now that's a good reason to tear apart the Constitution, right?

PS: I hate righteous, over-bearing "We Know Best" uber-liberal Dems who want to impose their irrational fears and arrogant personal ethics on other innocent law-abiding honest patriotic citizens.

I know! Let's ban THEM! (Ohh... sorry, JerZ; you'll have to go now!)

Quote:
Yes, class.

By doing...what again? (pausing) (cupping ear with hand)

Yes, that's right. Putting holes in their bodies. You know. The kind of holes that even when you're not aiming for an internal organ, can wind up there.

I think you forgot that part, hon.

(p.s....It is such jolly fun to watch the "Y'all will get mah gun from me when you pry it from mah cold dead fingers" crowd get riled up. ) Anyway...GO, MR. PRESIDENT! I'm pretty happy to hear about this. (Waiting for the next round of dancing-around-in-anger gun-lovers to show up...)
I don't dance. I think. Apparently you don't! A recent eloquently written article (by a Dem no less), nationally syndicated, noted that the old-tymie stuck-in-the-1960's Dems who think all gun owners are single-issue, brain-dead Neanderthal-minded toothless violence-prone drunken Camaro-driving morons, are in the dying, shrinking minority. Why? Because it just ain't so, eh, Homer?

He also noted that there are a growing number of rational educated Dems that understand the hunter ethic (you know, the one that values safe family-building bonding experiences and the value to wildlife management of regulated hunting).

And that many new-age Dems also understand that the police's stated duty is NOT to be there BEFORE an illegal event, and that illegal behaviour is already, well, illegal, no more laws required.

Or that a new-age forward-thinking Democrat politician might just see the value of appealing to the endlessly disrespected, honest and patriotic American gun owner, might also read up on the Constitution's legal limitations, and join with other brave new intellectuals in protecting this critically valuable amendment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Isn't the point of banning a firearm to save lives?
Aren't the lives the important thing not how you save them?
That IS the point of banning firearms right,to save lives?
Not really, oz. That approach been proven to be ineffective. Check out the 3 other countries that rank significantly higher violent gun crime per capita rates, but also have significantly more rigorous gun legislation, control and restrictions than us. (Mexico, Russia, Cuba).

I repeat; they have vastly higher violent gun crime than here. And, following strict long-and hand-gun registration in Canada, England and Australia, gun crime has skyrocketed. Oops. Do we have to repeat their silly mistakes? What exactly would THAT prove again?

Too inconvenient a truth for most readers. And why is that?

Because the true intent of gun control in America at this point in time is, simply, to remove the citizenry's ability to effectively resist governmental arrogance and tyranny.

Actual rigorous enforcement of the 20,000 existing gun laws, appropriate sentencing (absent early release because of State budgetary shortfalls and overcrowding), limits on judicial activist re-interpretation of our laws and penalties; all these things would, and have, significantly reduced career or first-time criminals' social affronts, as well as their complete disrespect for yours and my legal rights, property and safety.

Simple, right? To say otherwise is to tip your hat (and wallets of course) to the anti-freedom, anti-democratic, anti-'republic' types.

That the plan?

Last edited by rifleman; 01-20-2009 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-20-2009, 06:37 PM

283 posts, read 597,621 times
The hippie liberal dictators want to just re-write the consitution.................

Old 01-20-2009, 07:21 PM

123 posts, read 747,772 times
Default Whitehouse already calling for gun bans

I made this thread earlier, but it seems to have 'disappeared' or been moved somewhere? Anyhow, here's the info.

The Dims waste no time going for our rights.

Urban Policy

Address Gun Violence in Cities: Obama and Biden would repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, which restricts the ability of local law enforcement to access important gun trace information, and give police officers across the nation the tools they need to solve gun crimes and fight the illegal arms trade. Obama and Biden also favor commonsense measures that respect the Second Amendment rights of gun owners, while keeping guns away from children and from criminals. They support closing the gun show loophole and making guns in this country childproof. They also support making the expired federal Assault Weapons Ban permanent.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:11 PM

274 posts, read 197,445 times
Quote:
Yes, class.

By doing...what again? (pausing) (cupping ear with hand)

Yes, that's right. Putting holes in their bodies. You know. The kind of holes that even when you're not aiming for an internal organ, can wind up there.

I think you forgot that part, hon.

(p.s....It is such jolly fun to watch the "Y'all will get mah gun from me when you pry it from mah cold dead fingers" crowd get riled up. ) Anyway...GO, MR. PRESIDENT! I'm pretty happy to hear about this. (Waiting for the next round of dancing-around-in-anger gun-lovers to show up...)
Guns are only unsafe in hands of idiots. Guns are our right to own and operate them and i would only buy a gun which i am doing very soon again, to protect my family from invaders or criminals and an overzealous stormtrooper government.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
why the moral outrage about gun violence, why. 40% of homocides are puncture wounds.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
The hippie liberal dictators want to just re-write the consitution.................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies