Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 02:30 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times

Advertisements

There has been some controversy over people who place roadside memorials for dead people- usually at or near where a wreck happened. The state sometimes removes them because they interfere with grass cutting and/or distract drives along the interstates but often the cities and counties leave them and, if they are built well, they can stay there for years. Some of them are simple crosses and others are a bit more fancy- we have one here that actually has a solar light on it and lights up at night!
Do you think the state should make an effort to mow around these things or should they just remove them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,475,181 times
I think they should be left alone, standing as a memorial to a life lost and as warning to drivers to be cautious. It's not a bad thing to be reminded of life's fragility.

Here in Oregon, any kind of cross, flowers, etc. are taken down rapidly by the highway department, or some other government entity. When I was in Missouri, I saw a lot of crosses on the highway.

I don't think they distract drivers at all. That's just an excuse the gov't uses. I sincerely doubt any gov't has any kind of data to back that up.

As far as grass cutting goes, how the heck many memorials are there, as to where workers couldn't just drive around the memorial or get off their rear and move the memorial then replace it when they're finished cutting grass?

IMO, it's extremely disrespectul to remove them. They memorialize someone's child, friend and loved ones. Billboards are a lot more distracting than a small little cross or some flowers. But then, there's some revenue involved in leasing land for billboards...

Old 01-25-2009, 03:07 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,704,174 times
I say whomever/whatever owns the land on which said memorials are placed, should have the final say as to whether or not they are left standing, regardless of their reasoning behind their decision. If an accident happened in front of my house and family members wanted to put a permanent cross on my lawn to commemorate their loved one's life being lost there, I wouldn't allow them to do so...for many reasons. So, if the government owns land alongside a highway, and doesn't want permanent memorials placed there for whatever reason, I say it's their land- they get the final say.

If people want so badly to place memorials to commemorate their loved ones, they are free to do so at the deceased's gravesite, home, etc. There's a time and a place, and not everyone agrees that the road alongside a highway is the proper place.

Just my two cents...

Old 01-25-2009, 07:52 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,086,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
I think they should be left alone, standing as a memorial to a life lost and as warning to drivers to be cautious. It's not a bad thing to be reminded of life's fragility.

Here in Oregon, any kind of cross, flowers, etc. are taken down rapidly by the highway department, or some other government entity. When I was in Missouri, I saw a lot of crosses on the highway.

I don't think they distract drivers at all. That's just an excuse the gov't uses. I sincerely doubt any gov't has any kind of data to back that up.

As far as grass cutting goes, how the heck many memorials are there, as to where workers couldn't just drive around the memorial or get off their rear and move the memorial then replace it when they're finished cutting grass?

IMO, it's extremely disrespectul to remove them. They memorialize someone's child, friend and loved ones. Billboards are a lot more distracting than a small little cross or some flowers. But then, there's some revenue involved in leasing land for billboards...
I agree with you.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:04 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,113 times
Virginia, as usual, if you're willing to pay, will put up a memorial for you!

Roadside Memorial Signs

Old 01-25-2009, 08:08 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,348,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There has been some controversy over people who place roadside memorials for dead people- usually at or near where a wreck happened. The state sometimes removes them because they interfere with grass cutting and/or distract drives along the interstates but often the cities and counties leave them and, if they are built well, they can stay there for years. Some of them are simple crosses and others are a bit more fancy- we have one here that actually has a solar light on it and lights up at night!
Do you think the state should make an effort to mow around these things or should they just remove them?
Remove them.

Like the departed, they belong in a cemetery.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:18 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post

I agree with you, with the exception of private lands (unless the land owner agrees to have a cross there). Federal and State public lands should be fine, since the survivors placing the monuments there are also tax payers and own the land as much as governments do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies