Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,954 times

Advertisements

I was a bit skeptical at the onset... but I'm thoroughly impressed thus far...

In the last few days, we've already witnessed:

-sought closure of Gitmo
-sought closure of other CIA secret prisons
-freezing of certain high paid WH employees' salaries
-nsa exposed unauthorized spying under the wiretapping umbrella
-new whitehouse.gov
-reversed ********'s restrictions on Freedom of Information Act requests as well as changes to the Presidential Records Act to facilitate disclosure and transparency
-court ordered emails seem to be finally coming to fruition
-new open source [re]exploration (as evident by Obama's REQ to Sun Chairman)
-new WH robots.txt for greater [indexed] disclosure

I'm excited what this year will bring us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:33 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times

Yes, moments after hiring them at salaries over $100k a year, he froze their salaries.

You have to read MORE than just the headlines people!

Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

Yes, moments after hiring them at salaries over $100k a year, he froze their salaries.

? It means no increases. They're federal employees. If a certain paygrade gets an increase everyone at that paygrade gets the same increase. These people wont.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:43 PM

550 posts, read 1,550,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
? It means no increases. They're federal employees. If a certain paygrade gets an increase everyone at that paygrade gets the same increase. These people wont.
Their new hires they don't need raises yet, but sit back and read the very back pages of the NY Times, In a year when they get granted raises.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:32 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
I was a bit skeptical at the onset... but I'm thoroughly impressed thus far...

In the last few days, we've already witnessed:

-sought closure of Gitmo
-sought closure of other CIA secret prisons
-nsa exposed unauthorized spying under the wiretapping umbrella
-new whitehouse.gov
-reversed ********'s restrictions on Freedom of Information Act requests as well as changes to the Presidential Records Act to facilitate disclosure and transparency
-court ordered emails seem to be finally coming to fruition
-new open source [re]exploration (as evident by Obama's REQ to Sun Chairman)
-new WH robots.txt for greater [indexed] disclosure

I'm excited what this year will bring us!
Every truly patriotic American is excited. Don't forget Obama overturning Neanderthal Bush's veto on stem-cell research. What a relief to have an intelligent, open minded person in the Oval Office. They are making an issue over the fact that Obama prefers to work without a jacket...I don't care if he was sitting there in his pajamas, he's getting things done!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:47 PM

550 posts, read 1,550,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Every truly patriotic American is excited. Don't forget Obama overturning Neanderthal Bush's veto on stem-cell research. What a relief to have an intelligent, open minded person in the Oval Office. They are making an issue over the fact that Obama prefers to work without a jacket...I don't care if he was sitting there in his pajamas, he's getting things done!
There was not any government money spend on stem cell research until Bush!!!Bush was the first president to allow any government money to be used for stem-cell research!!! Of course the immediate Lib. cry when he made government money available was that he was limiting research not allowing it.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:56 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeweld View Post
There was not any government money spend on stem cell research until Bush!!!Bush was the first president to allow any government money to be used for stem-cell research!!! Of course the immediate Lib. cry when he made government money available was that he was limiting research not allowing it.
Funding for limited research was not good enough for the people waiting and hoping for cures. Sorry, not good enough Bush supporter.

BBC NEWS | Americas | Bush vetoes stem-cell funds bill

Old 01-23-2009, 03:59 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
I am fine with everything he has done so far except for his abortion-funds policy. Even though I am pro-choice, I am disgusted that taxpayer money has to go overseas to fund abortions. It should be done through private donations, not federal funds. And I thought our deficit was already bad enough?

Obama signs order reversing abortion-funds policy - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090123/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_abortion_ban - broken link)

Old 01-23-2009, 04:07 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post

Plus, most of these employees also made a lot of money in the private sector before they were hired. Nice gesture though.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
points to you for posting something true, positive, and worth discussing. So much better than posts about what the first family looks like or how they dress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies