Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:58 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
oh really?

little trouble? if it is unconstitutional, then I expect no support from either the democrat or republican parties.
You rebel!

Besides, you don't need the support of any political party to petition the government.

Quote:
as both of these parties do not care whether anything is Constitutional, as long as they have their power over the people, then they are happy.
Having lost their power over the people in a huge way over the past two election cycles, I'd wager that the GOP is very unhappy these days.

Seems to me that the people have spoken. And they've made a clear statement of disapproval of the way things have been going in recent years.

You don't approve of tossing an irresponsible party out of office? Well, too bad, so sad. That's the way America works. Even if only at election time, officals are accountable to the people. Holding angry fringe viewpoints is only going to raise your blood pressure. It isn't going to change America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:05 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Having lost their power over the people in a huge way over the past two election cycles, I'd wager that the GOP is very unhappy these days.

Seems to me that the people have spoken. And they've made a clear statement of disapproval of the way things have been going in recent years.

You don't approve of tossing an irresponsible party out of office? Well, too bad, so sad. That's the way America works. Even if only at election time, officals are accountable to the people. Holding angry fringe viewpoints is only going to raise your blood pressure. It isn't going to change America.
It is cyclical, if the GOP had the majority of control for the past eight year it meant that the American people at one time thought the Dem's weren't doing a good job. The GOP in my view had a weak candidate running then he added Palin, who as a conservative myself my head about exploded, and that was a great recipe for a loss.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:10 AM

605 posts, read 1,108,043 times
Quote:
Sure, you can get angry at Obama and blame Gitmo on him. But that's useless misdirected emotion that'll lead to nothng but raising your blood pressure.

I don't know that I'm in favor of closing Gitmo, either. But then, I don't have access to very much info regarding that situation, and neither do you or any of the rest of us posting here.

But here's what I do know:

1. In seven years, Bush/Cheney were able to make one single "high-profile" conviction, and that was bin Laden's driver. Not some high-level Al Qaeda officer, a chauffeur, for Pete's sake.

2. Numerous Gitmo detainees have already been released over the past several years. Obama isn't advocating setting the rest free, but moving them to someplace else where they'll be a lot less visible and probably a lot more likely to be tried, rather than being held indefinitely with no plan on what to do next.

3. Obama's legal specialty is Constitutional law, which leads me to think that he has a pretty firm grasp of the issues involved here.

4. Gitmo is just another poorly thought out and even worse managed Bush fiasco that will be better put behind us, and the sooner the better. This incompetence is Bush's hallmark. Getting angry at the folks who are trying to set it straight isn't going to be helpful to anyone.

5. Numerous military and former military people who have served at Gitmo over the past seven years have made statements indicating that #4 above is definitely the case. Gitmo is a warehouse of suspected terrorists, but many of the detainess have been proven to be no threat whatsoever. Many were turned in to US forces for reward money, with nothing but here-say from the captors to make them suspects.

Whatever decision Obama and his team come to in regards to Gitmo, I'll support them until shown that it was poorly conceived and executed. I've been very critical of the Bush administration for the past several years, even though I did vote for Bush in 2000. And my criticism has been aimed directly their childish, poorly planned actions that have time and again driven our country deeper into the ditch.

From my perspective, it looks to me like Obama is the guy who's arrived with the tow truck. I'm not about to start griping at him as he enters the ditch with the tow line in his hand. If he ends up pulling the bumper off, then I'll get angry.

For now, let's see how things develop. I'll be very happy if Obama proves to be competent and results-oriented. That'll be a very welcome change in management style.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
It is cyclical, if the GOP had the majority of control for the past eight year it meant that the American people at one time thought the Dem's weren't doing a good job.
That's absolutely the case. The Dems held congress for decades, but lost both houses in the 1994 elections. Most probably due to the idiotic Clinton gun ban that the Dems supported. That move cost them dearly.

Quote:
The GOP in my view had a weak candidate running then he added Palin, who as a conservative myself my head about exploded, and that was a great recipe for a loss.

2008 is the first time I've ever voted for the Democratic candidate. And I wasn't voting that way because I thought McCain was a weak candidate. I think the GOP was headed for an electoral spanking no matter who they nominated as their candidate. The negligence and incompetence of the past eight years will continue to haunt the Republicans for some time into the future, most likely. The damage they've done has absolutely convinced me, a long-time GOP supporter, that they've changed, and can no longer be trusted to govern. They've become short-sighted, greedy, self-serving, and small-minded. They've abandoned conservatism in favor of religious idiocy and corporate advocacy.

Now, if they stonewall efforts to repair the damage they've caused during the Bush/Cheney era, I'll spend the rest of my life voting against every GOP candidate for every office at every level in every election.

I doubt that I'm alone in this sentiment.

Country first.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:29 AM

50,376 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Darn! Why didn't anyone think of this before? The only important thing is to be nice. Then everyone will stop hating and love the US again.
And now that we don't need to listen to those grumpy Republicans saying no all the time, let's all send in more money to the government, too, so that it can better provide for all of us.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:43 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
I can't believe there are idiots in this country who are symathetic to terrorist suspects. They are enemy combatants, a phrase coined by FDR and says that those who are suspicious in activity to commit acts of harm against the US are subject to detainment. Thes people are not subjrct to constitutional rights, they are not even citizens and in fact one of these gitmo prisoners released has become a member of al queda. Great job libs

Old 01-24-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I can't believe there are idiots in this country who are symathetic to terrorist suspects. They are enemy combatants, a phrase coined by FDR and says that those who are suspicious in activity to commit acts of harm against the US are subject to detainment. Thes people are not subjrct to constitutional rights, they are not even citizens and in fact one of these gitmo prisoners released has become a member of al queda. Great job libs

Why did those "libs" Bush and Cheney release lots of detainess from their Gitmo facility? Maybe they're terrorist-loving idiots, too!
1. Fifty-five percent (55%) of the detainees are not determined to have committed any hostile acts against the United States or its coalition allies.
2. Only 8% of the detainees were characterized as al Qaeda fighters. Of the remaining detainees, 40% have no definitive connection with al Qaeda at all and 18% are have no definitive affiliation with either al Qaeda or the Taliban.
3. The Government has detained numerous persons based on mere affiliations with a large number of groups that in fact, are not on the Department of Homeland Security terrorist watchlist. Moreover, the nexus between such a detainee and such organizations varies considerably. Eight percent are detained because they are deemed "fighters for;" 30% considered "members of;" a large majority - 60% -- are detained merely because they are "associated with" a group or groups the Government asserts are terrorist organizations. For 2% of the prisoners their nexus to any terrorist group is unidentified.
4. Only 5% of the detainees were captured by United States forces. 86% of the detainees were arrested by either Pakistan or the Northern Alliance and turned over to United States custody. This 86% of the detainees captured by Pakistan or the Northern Alliance were handed over to the United States at a time in which the United States offered large bounties for capture of suspected enemies.
5. Finally, the population of persons deemed not to be enemy combatants - mostly Uighers - are in fact accused of more serious allegations than a great many persons still deemed to be enemy combatants.

http://law.shu.edu/news/guantanamo_r...al_2_08_06.pdf

It's very easy to get your blood boiling about something you have very little knowledge of. Getting oneself informed takes a little more effort, but it maintains one's blood pressure within normal limits and keeps one from making foolish statements.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:01 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Again if the detainees were innocent Obama would have not made a plan for a plan to close GITMO. He would have shut it down right then.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:01 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,926 times
Quote:
Why did those "libs" Bush and Cheney release lots of detainess from their Gitmo facility? Maybe they're terrorist-loving idiots, too!
1. Fifty-five percent (55%) of the detainees are not determined to have committed any hostile acts against the United States or its coalition allies.
2. Only 8% of the detainees were characterized as al Qaeda fighters. Of the remaining detainees, 40% have no definitive connection with al Qaeda at all and 18% are have no definitive affiliation with either al Qaeda or the Taliban.
3. The Government has detained numerous persons based on mere affiliations with a large number of groups that in fact, are not on the Department of Homeland Security terrorist watchlist. Moreover, the nexus between such a detainee and such organizations varies considerably. Eight percent are detained because they are deemed "fighters for;" 30% considered "members of;" a large majority - 60% -- are detained merely because they are "associated with" a group or groups the Government asserts are terrorist organizations. For 2% of the prisoners their nexus to any terrorist group is unidentified.
4. Only 5% of the detainees were captured by United States forces. 86% of the detainees were arrested by either Pakistan or the Northern Alliance and turned over to United States custody. This 86% of the detainees captured by Pakistan or the Northern Alliance were handed over to the United States at a time in which the United States offered large bounties for capture of suspected enemies.
5. Finally, the population of persons deemed not to be enemy combatants - mostly Uighers - are in fact accused of more serious allegations than a great many persons still deemed to be enemy combatants.

http://law.shu.edu/news/guantanamo_r...al_2_08_06.pdf

It's very easy to get your blood boiling about something you have very little knowledge of. Getting oneself informed takes a little more effort, but it maintains one's blood pressure within normal limits and keeps one from making foolish statements.
They don't have any connection?? Did they tell you that? Wow but you are ignorant. Do you really think that these prisoners are going to admit they are part of that terror group. My blood is not boiling, but it is kind of sad to see all the bleeding heart liberals want nothing more than to see us get another terror attack.

Regarding your last paragragh, you REALLY should take your own advise

Old 01-24-2009, 10:10 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,687,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
They don't have any connection?? Did they tell you that? Wow but you are ignorant. ...
Well, why don't you take them to court to find out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies