Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:03 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times

Advertisements

Curious how Republicans feel about the anti-gay positions of the GOP & if it is hurting rather than helping their party? I believe the turning point will be how California votes on gay marriage in November. The GOP is officially against gay marriage & frankly most people against gays are Republican.

Is this issue now beginning to hurt the GOP unlike past elections where Rove made sure anti-gay marriage was also on the ballot [to attract more Republicans]?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 12:18 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,874 times
This is just my opinion but as younger people like me start to vote we tend to go Democrat because most of us are familiar with at least a few gay people and don't see what the fuss is. I, for one, don't know why opposition to gay rights is such a selling point of the GOP, it repels me from the party and I'm actually kind of embarrassed that they're a shell of their former self because they were hijacked by the Religious Right. Where the heck did the smaller government party go because I don't see it anywhere now. So long as opposition to gay rights is part of their platform, I'd be very hard-pressed to vote for the GOP. My parents are Republicans but at this point they're just disgusted at the turn the party has taken. We live in California and my mom is staying registered as a Republican but voting for Obama and in support of gay marriage in November and my dad is registering as a Democrat and voting for Obama and in support of gay marriage also. Make of that what you will, I'm proud of them though.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Not really any evidence that it is hurting the party, why would it? Contrary to the homosexuals who are a much higher percentage on this forum than the general poulation, most normal folk, arent down with the homo agenda, and they need some one to vote for! I get a kick out of some of the young misguided, spewing the talking points on here, like the Republican party just started standing against the homosexual agenda yesterday! "Reagan Democrats", were those more moderate democrats that could no longer stomach the freak show the Democrat party had turned into, some 28 years ago!

Old 08-03-2008, 01:35 PM

So you're saying that young people aren't voting Democrat more often than not? I've met very few college students who are voting for McCain in the fall. Younger people are down with the "homo agenda" the same way old WASPs are down with the Religious Right agenda. The gay issue helped the GOP in the past two elections but in elections to come, as more and more young people begin to vote, you'll see that issue begin to hurt the GOP.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:37 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
a real republican would be for states rights, which is actually a pro-gay stance. if the republican party wasn't infested with bible thumpers, they wouldn't have this label.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
a real republican would be for states rights, which is actually a pro-gay stance. if the republican party wasn't infested with bible thumpers, they wouldn't have this label.
Exactly! That's why my dad left. He said he'd switch back when the party decides to stand for smaller government, less taxes, and more personal responsibility. Religious Right = Vomit.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:45 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
and the funny thing is that all those "conservative" talk show hosts go along with the message. too funny. I don't think there is actually a conservative talk show host.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Exactly! That's why my dad left. He said he'd switch back when the party decides to stand for smaller government, less taxes, and more personal responsibility. Religious Right = Vomit.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:58 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Curious how Republicans feel about the anti-gay positions of the GOP & if it is hurting rather than helping their party? I believe the turning point will be how California votes on gay marriage in November. The GOP is officially against gay marriage & frankly most people against gays are Republican.

Is this issue now beginning to hurt the GOP unlike past elections where Rove made sure anti-gay marriage was also on the ballot [to attract more Republicans]?

Any thoughts?
i think that their anti-gay tactics will definitely work against them this time around. there are just too many other MAJOR issues that affect everyday americans. those take precedent over gay rights issues. younger ppl are not as indifferent to gays. i think that choosing mccain in particular (an 80 year old man) sends a signal to younger voters that the repub party is a party of the past and not the future. every day, older voters are dying off and with those deaths go anti-gay votes for the most part.

Last edited by wehotex; 08-03-2008 at 03:12 PM..

Old 08-03-2008, 03:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Not really any evidence that it is hurting the party, why would it? Contrary to the homosexuals who are a much higher percentage on this forum than the general poulation, most normal folk, arent down with the homo agenda, and they need some one to vote for! I get a kick out of some of the young misguided, spewing the talking points on here, like the Republican party just started standing against the homosexual agenda yesterday! "Reagan Democrats", were those more moderate democrats that could no longer stomach the freak show the Democrat party had turned into, some 28 years ago!
I know you’ve been asked at least ½ dozen times, but what is this homosexual agenda that you’re always talking about?

Is wanting equal rights a negative thing?
What if white guys were treated like gays are treated?
Oh, occasionally being beat up just for breathing; being fired from jobs for being white guys; being told that they couldn’t marry; having their family barred from their deathbed.
Are these really acceptable to you?

Old 08-03-2008, 03:38 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
You are a little mixed up. Now listen up. The Republicans that have been responsible for taking the party away from smaller governmet, lower taxes and more personal responsibility, are the "Moderate" republicans who tend to be soft not only on economic issues but the social issues such as homos and abortion as well. Most social conservatives the so called "religious right" are economic Conservatives as well who are some of the biggest advocates of smaller government lower taxes and personal responsibility! Maybe you and dad need to spend a little more time discussing facts and less time watching Kieth Oberman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies