Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 08:10 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
More liberals are miserable with life than conservatives. They are more often single, lonely, and depressed. I want to be around happy people, wherever they may dwell. I'll take conservative families over urban, chic, 35-year old coffee drinkers with no direction in life.
Oh man. Ditch the cliches. What about urban, chic, 35 year old coffee drinkers with kids and a mortgage? They exist. I can introduce you to them.

How about miserable conservatives with families? Those exist too. Lots of em.

I've lived in more conservative places. I've lived in more liberal places. My favorites tend to be areas that are generally socially liberal, but also somewhat family-oriented. I like places that value the arts and culture, and tolerant of other ways of doing things. I've encoutered places that fit that bill in neighborhoods in big cities and smallish towns alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 08:11 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
More liberals are miserable with life than conservatives. They are more often single, lonely, and depressed. I want to be around happy people, wherever they may dwell. I'll take conservative families over urban, chic, 35-year old coffee drinkers with no direction in life.
Male conservatives also appear to have loving families and the males are stalwarts of good old fashioned "Christian" values while they troll for sex in airport restrooms or in internet chat rooms. You always have to keep an eye on your children in the vicinity of these conservatives.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM

922 posts, read 1,909,163 times
Default conservative lands

I prefer montana, wyoming, Idaho area. majority conservative. just enough liberals for us to talk down about most of the large landowners of the late comers are libs. they fence off the land and streams. trying to keep allelse out. so much for open minds.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaJ View Post

Care to back that up? That is patently false.

The most liberal areas are the areas where welfare classes and tax consumers live. Tax-payers usually live in conservative areas.

Liberal areas host far more illiterates and drop outs than do conservative areas.

Conservative areas will always show a higher degree of education.
Whoa whoa. Care to back any of that up? I think you're both wrong.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
I've always liked my home region--The midwest. We're neither liberal nor conservative. We're purple. We're too sensible and pragmatic for ideology.

Case in point--West Michigan, where I live is conservative and religious, but our towns actually value public education and the christians aren't the Bible thumping variety. At the same time we have liberal outposts (like Kalamazoo and Ann Arbor) that keep life interesting.

All in all, I'd probably like a slightly more conservative region, because I'm a christian, but with some liberal areas here and there. It creates a good balance.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:19 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,733,329 times
The great state of South Carolina and nowhere else.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:

Care to back that up? That is patently false. The most liberal areas are the areas where welfare classes and tax consumers live. Tax-payers usually live in conservative areas. Liberal areas host far more illiterates and drop outs than do conservative areas.

White flight is such a dependable phenomenon that the term for it actually exists!! It always involves movement to more conservatism. Only single hipsters and unmarried yuppies buck this phenomenon, and they represent a small sliver of educated American people.
The southeast, a traditional stronghold of the Republican Party and the most conservative part of these United States, regularly rank last in aptitude scores amongst its public high schools.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:25 PM

283 posts, read 597,621 times
Quote:

Care to back that up? That is patently false. The most liberal areas are the areas where welfare classes and tax consumers live. Tax-payers usually live in conservative areas. Liberal areas host far more illiterates and drop outs than do conservative areas.

White flight is such a dependable phenomenon that the term for it actually exists!! It always involves movement to more conservatism. Only single hipsters and unmarried yuppies buck this phenomenon, and they represent a small sliver of educated American people.
Yup I live in the suburbs. We all pay our taxes and work hard. What do we do, support lazy people in the city who live off my welfare checks and in the projects I build for them. How do they pay me back? They mug me if I go to the city, Steal my car when I park it down there, and maybe even shoot me if I am trying to drive home and get caught there. The worst thing, these people are in power now. Just lock and load.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Obama's home city of Chicago is filled with HS drop outs and immigrants that have less education than the people downstate, who have better educations overall.

This is fact. Downstate is more "conservative" and Chicago is "liberal" and Chicago has the worst public schools in the nation, a bad crime rate, etc.

What facts do you have?

I've already backed my statement up. You have yet to present anything credible. Your argument is hereby disregarded as null and void.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
Yup I live in the suburbs. We all pay our taxes and work hard. What do we do, support lazy people in the city who live off my welfare checks and in the projects I build for them. How do they pay me back? They mug me if I go to the city, Steal my car when I park it down there, and maybe even shoot me if I am trying to drive home and get caught there. The worst thing, these people are in power now. Just lock and load.
You are both paranoid and delusional, and I doubt you go anywhere near large cities unless you have to. I'm guessing you are much happier staying home and watching Hee Haw reruns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies