Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:34 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
Then why not fight for states' rights like the rest of us and try to fix the situation? I believe in the original idea of America, and I'm willing to fight to restore our liberties. I wish you guys would join me. Instead you want to run away from the problem.
The federal courts serve the federal government. You think a federal court will tell another part of the federal government they're exercising too much power? Think again. We lose rights with every session of the SCOTUS. For instance, the recent cases affecting searches, seizures, and warrants in which they gave broad powers to the government to not get warrants for said actions. Each time a state attempts to assert its rights under Amendment 10 the federal courts slap it down. It's a lost cause right now, trying to get the federal government to follow the Constitution. Perhaps a state seceding will also be a wakeup call to other Americans and the U.S. government will then be fixed, but I have my doubts. They'll pull an Operation Northwoods and use propaganda to keep people in line and believe the seceding people are evil monstors/terrorists/whatever the current boogey man is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:35 AM

512 posts, read 712,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I didn't say slavery had nothing to do with the civil war...
I also didn't go to Elementary school,I wasn't educated in THIS country.

Because the fedgov. and people in general feel they can dictate how others can live and have openly stated in essence 'Too bad if you don't like it,we have the power'...

That is tyranny.
Why not petition the government the way our founding fathers believed we should. The only reason that those in power can do the things they do is because most of the people are sheep who will do what the government tells them to because they don't think they can do anything about it. Well it has been proven in the past that we can overcome oppression in this country. Why not fight for it? I would never say that America is perfect, but we do have the means for change, we have to use them.

I'm still really curious what laws specifically are you being oppressed by? I totally think there are oppressive laws, I just want to know if we are on the same page as to what is oppression.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
To the question of petitioning the federal government,read the post above.

As to being 'oppressed',I am taxed way more heavily than the original colonists ever were,I am forced under threat to provide for others,I am restricted in my 2nd Amendment rights,I am forced to comply with rules and regulations as to how I am to run a business or who I am to hire...

Just off the top of my head.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The federal courts serve the federal government. You think a federal court will tell another part of the federal government they're exercising too much power? Think again. We lose rights with every session of the SCOTUS. For instance, the recent cases affecting searches, seizures, and warrants in which they gave broad powers to the government to not get warrants for said actions. Each time a state attempts to assert its rights under Amendment 10 the federal courts slap it down. It's a lost cause right now, trying to get the federal government to follow the Constitution. Perhaps a state seceding will also be a wakeup call to other Americans and the U.S. government will then be fixed, but I have my doubts. They'll pull an Operation Northwoods and use propaganda to keep people in line and believe the seceding people are evil monstors/terrorists/whatever the current boogey man is.
Hey I believe that the US Gov has gotten way too much power, but there are ways to change that. If all of the people who were outraged about the Patriot Act actually did something (trust me there are enough to get our point across) there would be no way to ignore us. If the government thinks they can walk all over the American people it is the American people who gave them that idea. I say instead of seceding join me in a protest to get the Patriot Act repealed. People cant ignore the process and then run away when it isn't working for them.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Hey I believe that the US Gov has gotten way too much power, but there are ways to change that. If all of the people who were outraged about the Patriot Act actually did something (trust me there are enough to get our point across) there would be no way to ignore us. If the government thinks they can walk all over the American people it is the American people who gave them that idea. I say instead of seceding join me in a protest to get the Patriot Act repealed. People cant ignore the process and then run away when it isn't working for them.
BOTH parties(and the current POTUS) support the PATRIOT Act.

The people were overwhelmingly(and quite vocal) in their opposition to the past bailout...and it passed.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Protests accomplish nothing, they are largely ignored (maybe given lip service type comments from politicians). When the phones were ringing off the hook on that stimulus last year, Congress shut down their phones and email services so they could just ignore the complaints. They have rigged the system to keep the two parties in power, the media is literally almost in bed with them and spoon feeds propaganda and ignores intelligent candidates (think Ron Paul this election). I say, throw off the chains. The federal government is dying anyways. It can literally be killed overnight if China decides to kill it by dumping the debt they hold. Start anew.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:55 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Protests accomplish nothing,
That will come as news to the labor, Women's suffrage Civil Rights, and anti-Vietnam war movements. Perhaps conservatives should hire community organizers so that you can learn how it is done?

Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That will come as news to the labor, Women's suffrage Civil Rights, and anti-Vietnam war movements. Perhaps conservatives should hire community organizers so that you can learn how it is done?
Those movements were only successful because they had government backing in the case of the civil rights movement, and media backing in others. The anti-Vietnam war movement protests never did end the war, it was purely a political move, ending it.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
The protests over the last bailout plan worked????
The demands for stricter border control???

Get out of the 1960's....

Old 01-28-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
that will come as news to the labor, women's suffrage civil rights, and anti-vietnam war movements. Perhaps conservatives should hire community organizers so that you can learn how it is done?
thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies