Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:07 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times

Advertisements

washingtonpost.com

Quote:
Senate Democratic leaders conceded yesterday that they do not have the votes to pass the stimulus bill as currently written and said that to gain bipartisan support, they will seek to cut provisions that would not provide an immediate boost to the economy.
Why, sure they do. They have enough dems in the senate to pass the bill - however, they are looking for political cover.

As more and more details of this dem-pork bill get out, they realize just what a pickle they are in - and that's why pelosi and the house dems tried to rush this bill along, changing the rules as she goes.

Glenn Thrush's Blog: Cooper: Obama staff encouraged defiance of Pelosi - Politico.com

Quote:
"They know its a messy bill and they wanted a clean bill. Now, I got in terrible trouble with our leadership because they don’t care what’s in the bill, they just want it pass and they want it to be unanimous. They don’t mind the partisan fighting cause that’s what they are used to. In fact, they’re really good at it. And they’re a little bit worried about what a post-partisan future might look like. If members actually had to read the bills and figure out whether they are any good or not. We’re just told how to vote. We’re treated like mushrooms most of the time."
This is a democrat talking about his fellow dems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Why not change the stimulus package to make it all go to military spending? I propose we spend $15 trillion.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
From your link:

Rep. Jim Cooper (D-TN) "suggest[ed] the White House quietly encouraged him to buck House leadership on the stimulus.

"Cooper was one of 11 Dems to vote no -- joining every GOP House member.

"'Well, I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but I actually got some quiet encouragement from the Obama folks for what I’m doing,' said Cooper, one of about 55 House Democrats to sign a letter criticizing Speaker Nancy Pelosi for suspending normal debate and committee rules on the $819 billion package.
Cooper, an early supporter of Obama's, referred to the House leadership repeatedly as 'old bulls' and the president as 'Barack,' said House leaders had 'pinned' Obama down by jamming pork into the bill, and expressed hope the Senate would radically revise the package."

, if kind of tattle-taley.

Obama needs to whip these babyish fools into line.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:13 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,879 times
I like the idea of just collecting taxes for 3 months. That would stimulate the economy more than anything.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I like the idea of just collecting taxes for 3 months. That would stimulate the economy more than anything.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:43 AM

472 posts, read 739,426 times
American Democrats are the bravest, most noble creatures in this universe!

We are blessed to be witness to their amazing talents and unsurpassed intellectual honesty...

Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,314 times
I think its funny how someone to lazy to read the bill calls it pork bill. I heard the items with issue are less than 1% of the bill.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
I'm still confused about the $2.4 billion for "carbon capture demonstration"

Something that captures carbon from the atmosphere and removes it from the air....

DIDN'T THAT USED TO BE CALLED A TREE?

Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
I honestly hope this thing doesn't pass.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 AM

472 posts, read 739,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I'm still confused about the $2.4 billion for "carbon capture demonstration"

Something that captures carbon from the atmosphere and removes it from the air....

DIDN'T THAT USED TO BE CALLED A TREE?
How dare you question the workings of Liberal America!!

Don't you know they are soooooo very smart?

It's true!

It really is!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies