Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:59 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post

But I don't believe we should be paying for contraception for people in other countries. Let them buy their own, if they want it.
Perhaps the words of the uber liberal former head of the CIA will open you mind, although I sincerely doubt it.

"Today, there are about 6.7 billion people sharing our planet. By midcentury, the best estimates point to a world population of more than 9 billion. Most of that growth will occur in countries least able to sustain it, a situation that will likely fuel instability and extremism, both in those areas and beyond.

Many poor, already fragile states — where governance is difficult today — will grow rapidly. In Afghanistan, Liberia, Niger and the Democratic Republic of Congo, the population is expected to triple by midcentury. The number of people in Ethiopia, Nigeria and Yemen will more than double. Furthermore, all of those countries will have large concentrations of young people. If their basic freedoms and basic needs — food, housing, education, employment and so on — are not met, they could be easily attracted to violence, civil unrest or extremism."

Gen. Michael V. Hayden, the director of the Central Intelligence Agency
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 07:59 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I mean not "wanted" by the mother/parents. Doesn't every child deserve to be wanted? I haven't adopted either, but I'm not the one who said every child deserves to be born, or whatever you said. I think the people preaching about abortion being "murder" ought to have a "plan b", if you will, like stepping up and offering another option.
Uh, sorry, but you're twisting my words. Typical. I said I believed everyone should have a chance at being a productive citizen and dismissing the children of the poor as "likely to be burdens" is wrong. Try taking comments in context next time.

But I suppose if I were on the liberal side and saw Pelosi and the gang making ridiculous proposals, I'd throw up a smokescreen, too.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Perhaps the words of the uber liberal former head of the CIA will open you mind, although I sincerely doubt it.

"Today, there are about 6.7 billion people sharing our planet. By midcentury, the best estimates point to a world population of more than 9 billion. Most of that growth will occur in countries least able to sustain it, a situation that will likely fuel instability and extremism, both in those areas and beyond.

Many poor, already fragile states — where governance is difficult today — will grow rapidly. In Afghanistan, Liberia, Niger and the Democratic Republic of Congo, the population is expected to triple by midcentury. The number of people in Ethiopia, Nigeria and Yemen will more than double. Furthermore, all of those countries will have large concentrations of young people. If their basic freedoms and basic needs — food, housing, education, employment and so on — are not met, they could be easily attracted to violence, civil unrest or extremism."

Gen. Michael V. Hayden, the director of the Central Intelligence Agency
Groovy. And where does it say that the United States taxpayers must buy them their pills and condoms?

You people seem to have difficulty delineating issues. Shall we call it "Pelosi Syndrome?"

See, here's the thing. I don't think that the United States should be involved in the population control business in other countries. This doesn't mean I'm against contraception. Get it now? There are sensitive cultural issues involved, libs, and they need to deal with it themselves. Having a condom drop over Africa isn't going to solve the problem.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Uh, sorry, but you're twisting my words. Typical. I said I believed everyone should have a chance at being a productive citizen and dismissing the children of the poor as "likely to be burdens" is wrong. Try taking comments in context next time.:rolleyes

The discussion isn't about fetuses, it is about unconceived non-beings. I fail to see how a nonentity has a chance or even no chance. It by definition has never existed.

Perhaps your argument might have the smallest modicum of rationality if we were talking about, well I was going to say sterilization but even in that context your argument is silly.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:05 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Some very valid points from the co-founder of BeliefNet:

Steven Waldman: The Truth About Contraceptives Stimulating the Economy

Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Groovy. And where does it say that the United States taxpayers must buy them their pills and condoms?
At the same place where, the American people's elected representative say that they shall.

Quote:
You people seem to have difficulty delineating issues. Shall we call it "Pelosi Syndrome?"
Problem delineating issues? You haven't been discussing issues, you have simply been on a rant about Pelosi in a poor and disadvantages attempt at a slagging match.

Quote:
I don't think that the United States should be involved in the population control business in other countries.
Fine, you and the Vatican can stand shoulder to shoulder in your obstructionism, the rest of the world will do what is asked and needed.

Quote:
This doesn't mean I'm against contraception.
Well you just lost your only ally.

Quote:
Having a condom drop over Africa isn't going to solve the problem.
Over population? True it isn't as efficient as genocidal warfare, but it is the civilized thing to do.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
The discussion isn't about fetuses, it is about unconceived non-beings. I fail to see how a nonentity has a chance or even no chance. It by definition has never existed.

Perhaps your argument might have the smallest modicum of rationality if we were talking about, well I was going to say sterilization but even in that context your argument is silly.
Where did I mention abortion or fetuses? That was one of your liberal pals who did. Ah, and your leader Pelosi who suggested that poor families not having children would be an "economic stimulus."

You can scratch and claw at me but you're not getting anywhere near the ridiculousness of Pelosi's proposal. This tells me that you're blowing lots of smoke in hopes of a screen.

Let's see. In one week, the Dems have suggested that spending hundreds of millions on contraception can be an "economic stimulus" and that taxpayer money should go to organizations that offer contraception and abortion in foreign countries. I guess it's safe to say that they are actively seeking population control among the "wrong sort" of people. My goodness, even that liberal icon "KevK" complimented the Chinese on their "one child" policy here!

Old 01-27-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Where did I mention abortion or fetuses?
Is the conversation restricted to simply regurgitating your arguments? I think not.

Quote:
You can scratch and claw at me but you're not getting anywhere near the ridiculousness of Pelosi's proposal. This tells me that you're blowing lots of smoke in hopes of a screen.
You are playing the woman and not the ball. When you come up with a cogent argument regarding the policy itself, then you might find your way out of the mess of your own design.

Quote:
Let's see. In one week, the Dems have suggested that spending hundreds of millions on contraception can be an "economic stimulus" and that taxpayer money should go to organizations that offer contraception and abortion in foreign countries. I guess it's safe to say that they are actively seeking population control among the "wrong sort" of people. My goodness, even that liberal icon "KevK" complimented the Chinese on their "one child" policy here!
You can make that argument all you like, accept the "wrong sort" want the availability to contraception. Again, you see to conflate availability with some sort of mandatory program.

It is called providing access, you know freedom to choose between contraception and nothing?

Sort of like this argument, at least the nothing part.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:21 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Uh, no, but is this the new lib. tactic? Make things say what YOU want them to say? I see your pal here did the same thing, which I will addess shortly. It's calling contraception an "economic stimulus" that I find ridiculous. And that IS what I said, no matter how you try to twist it.

But I don't believe we should be paying for contraception for people in other countries. Let them buy their own, if they want it.
What other countries do you suppose these might be, teatime? No peeking.

Contraception is indeed an economic stimulus. All I can suggest is that you pause and think about it - try to understand how this could be so.

I didnt "try to twist" your silly words. Your words were, "I think everyone should have a chance." Contraception prevents that chance. Thus, you're anti- any sort of contraception.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
At the same place where, the American people's elected representative say that they shall.

Well, my elected representatives won't vote for it. Tough luck for you.

Problem delineating issues? You haven't been discussing issues, you have simply been on a rant about Pelosi in a poor and disadvantages attempt at a slagging match.

Uh, hello, the topic IS Pelosi's proposal. You people are hell-bent on taking it elsewhere.
Fine, you and the Vatican can stand shoulder to shoulder in your obstructionism, the rest of the world will do what is asked and needed.

Well you just lost your only ally.

I don't need allies.

Over population? True it isn't as efficient as genocidal warfare, but it is the civilized thing to do.

What does over-population have to do with genocide? Nothing, except that the policies the Dems champion would create even greater cultural differences and disagreements between the peoples, thus causing MORE violence. You know, just like the artificial borders that Western politicians create in other countries that simply aren't tenable and lead to bloodshed.
But, that's WAY off-topic, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies