Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 05:22 PM

681 posts, read 2,878,386 times

Advertisements

I'm finally going to open up about a topic that is sure to get me pilloried by who knows how many people around here. Luckily, it's a "controversy" and not likely to be moved or locked down.

I have been noticing, for about the past 12 years or so, a phenomenon I can best describe as "reverse racism". I understand how black people were oppressed back in the day as slaves, and repressed more recently until the civil rights movement of the 1960s. I am not saying that that stuff was "right" in any way. Let it be known, for the record, that I am an advocate of full equality.

However... it seems as though the once-repressed black people are now going supremacist on people of other races... mostly white people. Maybe they don't believe that they have achieved equality, but I really believe that the system allows this form of supremacy. Allow me to give some examples.

1) Black people have "BET" (Black Entertainment Television), a cable channel dedicated to programs which I imagine feature black people prominently. Okay, I have no problem with that. However, if white people decided to establish "WET" (ha ha), a channel which featured white people most prominently, the people who established the channel would be vilified by the media as KKK-sympathizing racist monsters.

2) Black people have "JET" magazine and "ESSENCE" magazine... magazines which appear to be focused on black people and black culture. Again... that doesn't bother me. We all have our culture and our history and I think we should be proud of those, no matter what. What bothers me is that it can't be "no matter what". If white people decided to establish "SNOW" magazine and "IVORY" magazine, with the exact same purposes and peaceful nature as the magazines that focus on black people... except that these magazines would focus on white people... again they would be universally lambasted as racist, KKK-influenced, Nazi-sympathizing periodicals.

3) I heard of an Election Day threat made by some kids (presumably black kids) at a high school not far from where I live... that they would kill all of the white kids in the school if Obama wasn't elected President. Okay... let's think about this. First of all, Obama is as much white as he is black... but if they want to call him black, let them call him black. You never heard of any white kids saying that they'd kill all of the black kids if McCain wasn't elected... and we all know that if such a threat were made, most likely ANYWHERE in AMERICA, it'd have been public knowledge (and probably national news) WAY sooner than the threat I heard. Who is the racist here?

4) I teach at a high school which is about 1/3 black, 1/3 white, and 1/3 other "minorities"... predominantly Hispanic and Latino. In the normal course of events as I go about my day, I hear more racist comments coming from the black kids than from any other ethnic group. I have to ask... what is up with that?

The list goes on and on, but I think I can stop for now. Back when black people were repressed, they were pressing for equality... Martin Luther King Jr. was a fighter for equality to the best of my knowledge... I recently read that he rarely brought up race in his speeches, choosing instead words like "everyone". These days, it seems as though a lot of black people want to turn the tables and become the American majority through laws and oppression rather than sheer numbers. In a company where most employees are black, nobody would say a word about racism. However, if most employees were white, that raises the risk of someone talking about racism.

I really want to know... why is this "reverse racism" becoming such a popular trend? Why was it never true equality? I mean, if America were truly a country that valued equality, then there would be no such thing as allowable reverse racism... and I think we all know that it is allowed. (By the way, some black people recognize this too and they don't like it any more than white people do. I can still hear a black friend of mine, during senior year in high school, complaining to me about how colleges were just blindly accepting her due to the fact that she was a smart, high-achieving black female. She wanted her achievements to be weighed against those of everyone else and THEN have the college admissions officers check her out to see how she compared.)

In my classes, I have a lot of smart and high-achieving kids from every race and I think that it's pretty obvious that racism has no place in my classroom. My highest-scoring kid from last marking period is black, my smartest kid is black, the kid who participates the most out of any of my classes is black... etc. Everyone gets what he/she earns, nothing more, nothing less. Everyone has a chance to succeed, and no matter who a person is or where he/she comes from, it's the same chance that everyone else has. I believe that's what American life should be about... but apparently, my thought process is not representative of everyone else's. Let's get talking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 05:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
1. Black people have BET.

You mean the BET owned by Viacom? That BET? Even if we go back to the days of yore, when there black folks were few and far between and BET was answer to the paucity of programing of interest to African Americans, citing BET as supremacist begs the question, do you even know the definition of the word?

2. Black people have Jet.

Hmmm, founded in 1951 when Black folks could buy their way into a main stream news magazine is black supremacy?

4) "I teach at a high school"

That is the most frightening thing that I have read on this board. EVER! And, the wonder why our children are brain dead and dysfunctional.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:38 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,377 times
Racism has existed on both sides since Jamestown.

The only difference is that up until the 1970's it was acceptable for whites to be racist in public towards blacks, and that today it is not.

The few blacks that are racist towards whites are more socially acceptable today than the few whites that are racist towards blacks.

But overall, most in both groups are not racist, at least not openly.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Default No such thing as "Reverse Racism"

There is no such thing as reverse racism.
Something is racism or it is not.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:50 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
I really hate the term "reverse racism"...what's up with the reverse? Racism is racism, whether it is being directed at black, white, or any other color in the spectrum. It's ugly any way you look at it.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy
In my classes, I have a lot of smart and high-achieving kids from every race and I think that it's pretty obvious that racism has no place in my classroom. My highest-scoring kid from last marking period is black, my smartest kid is black, the kid who participates the most out of any of my classes is black... etc. Everyone gets what he/she earns, nothing more, nothing less. Everyone has a chance to succeed, and no matter who a person is or where he/she comes from, it's the same chance that everyone else has. I believe that's what American life should be about... but apparently, my thought process is not representative of everyone else's. Let's get talking.
With all due respect sir, unfortunately that (bold part) is 100% not true.

I have to run off for a few but when I return we can engage in discussion. Please stay tuned for my comment on why it's not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I was starting to lose hope that there was any common sense left in this forum until I read this.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:55 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You beat me to it....good point. Just as a wife beating up her husband commits "domestic violence",....not "reverse domestic violence".

Old 01-29-2009, 05:56 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,241,918 times
I'm neither black or white.

Please stop thinking you are the only beings on the planet.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:57 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I really hate the term "reverse racism"...what's up with the reverse? Racism is racism, whether it is being directed at black, white, or any other color in the spectrum. It's ugly any way you look at it.
"Ugly"?.....I suppose one COULD say that a particularly unattractive person is "reverse pretty"....maybe...

Old 01-29-2009, 05:58 PM

784 posts, read 2,265,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
1. Black people have BET.

You mean the BET owned by Viacom? That BET? Even if we go back to the days of yore, when there black folks were few and far between and BET was answer to the paucity of programing of interest to African Americans, citing BET as supremacist begs the question, do you even know the definition of the word?

2. Black people have Jet.

Hmmm, founded in 1951 when Black folks could buy their way into a main stream news magazine is black supremacy?

4) "I teach at a high school"

That is the most frightening thing that I have read on this board. EVER! And, the wonder why our children are brain dead and dysfunctional.
Your posts are so blatantly blind and one sided. He addresses a truth that you just dont want to address. What is so freightening about what he is saying? There is and has been a double standard for some time now. I also agree racism is racism no matter who it's from. I think black people have gotten a pass with it for a while now because of the years of segregation and discrimination. I also think there will come a point when this will no longer be tolerated so freely.

And yeah, the OP pointing out a reality or truth is why our children are brain dead and dysfunctional. That is a brilliant educated response. I would like to know what class and at what school you teach at, because I would make sure any offspring of mine never take your class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies