Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 AM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times

Advertisements

I hear black people use this term about someone being black but yet they are white on the inside and it is a negative used by blacks. I think it is racist to say someone is acting white.

I don't know what it fully means. Acting white is what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I hear black people use this term about someone being black but yet they are white on the inside and it is a negative used by blacks. I think it is racist to say someone is acting white.

Yes, it's racism, used by ignoramuses.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
I have recently become acquainted with a Senegalese family and a Gambian family. They are all Black, but none of them act like African-Americans which I guess means even African-Americans don't act like Blacks.

My point being, what a bunch of twaddle this 'acting like your skin color' is. As if skin color somehow magically affected your behavior.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
You have heard this term from black people huh....?

On this forum or IRL?

I'm black and I've never heard of "black on the outside, white on the inside" out of a black person's specific mouth in person, only online or on TV, which IMO is not a true reflection of any group of people.

I have heard of "oreos" when I was in elementary school. It made me think of cookies lol, still does, I mostly heard it in reference to mixed people of black/white descent. I have also heard of "uncle Toms" which is basically what I think the media or online people you heard mention the OP topic meant and what some people mean when they say "oreos" as well.

How is your phrase racism when it doesn't imply any sort of superiority or hatred? So no, that is not "reverse racsim" and racism cannot have a reverse. It is what it is and anyone can be a racist.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:12 PM

990 posts, read 939,987 times
Quote:

Being like you...

Why just focus on the blacks?

I have an Asian Girlfriend who is called a "Twinkie" by her family because she is "yellow on the outside and white on the inside".

I've been called a "Golden Oreo" by my black friends because I'm "vanilla on the outside but chocolate in the middle".

I've got a bunch of "Wexican" friends.

It's all based in stereotypes. Blacks are supposed to be a certain way, whites another, Asians another, etc. It's all nonsense. We are all individuals...

Though most white people fall squarely into the "acting white" category, especially if you look at the GOP conventions or rallies or watch anything related to country music.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 PM

990 posts, read 939,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I have recently become acquainted with a Senegalese family and a Gambian family. They are all Black, but none of them act like African-Americans which I guess means even African-Americans don't act like Blacks.

My point being, what a bunch of twaddle this 'acting like your skin color' is. As if skin color somehow magically affected your behavior.
Plus, they aren't African-Americans. That's an IDIOTIC term. Black people in Africa are not Americans...and plenty of white people come from Africa, so the term is nonsense.

In fact, I've actually met more African transplants who are white or brown (North African) than who are black. I dated a girl from South Africa who was actually African-American (her mother was American, her father African) and 100% white and 100% Jewish...how would you describe her?

Old 10-11-2012, 01:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

How about people act like people, no matter what color their skin might be.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:35 PM

33,572 posts, read 18,177,840 times
I still haven't gotten an answer what is acting white. I have heard it in political circles from black individuals.

I too see us as individuals and reject the term "oreo" "uncle tom" or these kind of negative words used to describe certain blacks .

I have never heard of someone being black on the inside and white on the outside. It is a strange perception to say the least to have one color on the outside and being another color on the outside. I just don't accept it at all. We are all human beings.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:38 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,794 times
Quote:
I still haven't gotten an answer what is acting white. I have heard it in political circles from black individuals.

I too see us as individuals and reject the term "oreo" "uncle tom" or these kind of negative words used to describe certain blacks .

I have never heard of someone being black on the inside and white on the outside. It is a strange perception to say the least to have one color on the outside and being another color on the outside. I just don't accept it at all. We are all human beings.
Yes people use the black on the inside also. Just like they use the term Wigger for the same thing. All of it is based out of ignorance. It all stems from racist stereotypes.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:54 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You have heard this term from black people huh....?

On this forum or IRL?

I'm black and I've never heard of "black on the outside, white on the inside" out of a black person's specific mouth in person, only online or on TV, which IMO is not a true reflection of any group of people.

I have heard of "oreos" when I was in elementary school. It made me think of cookies lol, still does, I mostly heard it in reference to mixed people of black/white descent. I have also heard of "uncle Toms" which is basically what I think the media or online people you heard mention the OP topic meant and what some people mean when they say "oreos" as well.

How is your phrase racism when it doesn't imply any sort of superiority or hatred? So no, that is not "reverse racsim" and racism cannot have a reverse. It is what it is and anyone can be a racist.
OP is trying to construct yet another thread on race.

I wonder why its such an issue?

Legally the Bakke case was a federal case (heard in US Supreme Court) of "reverse discrimination" , where a plaintiff claimed he was not admitted to Medical School in the late 70's.

But its an academic issue and I'm certain the OP has no knowledge of it.

American Experience.Eyes on the Prize.The Story of the Movement | PBS

What is "white on the inside anyway"? Is it defined by fox news? I define myself as a human female with principles.

Of course, in the late 70's National Review jumped on this case, so its possible some right wing John Birchers want to resurrect it right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies