Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the current stimulus package be passed as written?
Yes it's fine as is. 7 12.28%
No, take it back and re-write it 50 87.72%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

I think the current stimulus package as written is a boondoggle that's filled with pork and won't do much at all to stimulate anything but some peoples pockets. I'd like to see it pulled and re-written with actual programs that will stimulate the economy not just fund pet projects and wish lists.
What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 07:48 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
No.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:54 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
Point to the pork! Section, division, title! If you have the guts to read and have an honest debate! Don't listen to the bs on tv and radio!
OpenCongress - Text of H.R.1 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009

Old 01-30-2009, 07:55 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Take out the pork! and then humiliate whoever add that pork in (make sure their constituents know what they did).... Transparency and accountability... Remember?

Old 01-30-2009, 08:25 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,904,049 times
If I read it in full, I'll come back to vote in the poll.

From what I do know - I don't like the added tax cuts - but then again, I don't know the specifics on who gets those tax cuts.

The CBO analysis I read says that it will create millions of jobs (different estimates for different years).

For the people saying no, there should be a second poll:

You voted no because:
A. Fundamentals of the economy are strong
B. We need tax cuts; not spending
C. Didn't read the plan - and I like saying no
D. There is a portion of the plan that should be changed

From what I've read, people who know more than me think waiting is bad (economy needs help).
So I hope they don't try to make a perfect bill, which takes months longer.

If they can tweak things positively in the very short term.
Great.

If not, my answer would be yes.
Pass that fcker.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:22 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
I say do a way with the porkulus package and cut my taxes. And yours as well. Send me enough for a down payment on a Chevy Crapola and everyone will benefit.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:17 AM

773 posts, read 1,215,434 times
I voted no. This stimulus bill is just another example of government redistributing wealth because it feels it knows how to spend your money better than you do.
Here it is only January 30 and we have the democrats in congress rolling in the pork barrel trough trying to pay off the electorates elite buddies.
They are just as bad as the republicans in cronyism and special interest back room corruption.

The only stimulus plan I would support is one that Ron Paul would support, which would call for a 50% budget cut in government spending across the board and a motion to remove all regulations and laws that are victimless.
Give me liberty or a revolution!

Old 01-31-2009, 12:34 AM

244 posts, read 486,185 times
Please. this package is simply the dem congress paying off their supporters under the guise of stimulating the economy. If they want a true stimulus bill then take the 12% that the CBO says is stimulus and pass that and throw out all the rest of the spending that they say 75% of wont even come into being until 2011. This isnt change this is congressmen no matter which party lining their own pockets and insuring they win re-election. We need people that are interested in serving the people not in re-election!

Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Cut the pork, and cut taxes.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:27 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,438 times
The greatest portion of this bill (which should actually be called the safety net repair and stimulus bill) is actually puttinig money in place to cover increasing number of people who are out of work. 30% of it (circa $280 billion) is dedicated to unemployment benefits, food stamps, and fiscal aid to states so they can stay afloat.

Despite what the talking heads tell you, there are $145 billion in tax cuts in the bill, providing tax credits of up to $500 per worker.

Then, the second biggest chunk of the bill is the $87 billion in aid for states to fund their Medicaid programs - now that so many more people qualify for it. This is important not only in its own right but by the federal government helping with Medicaid, it frees up the states from having to cut other services in order to cover their Medicaid obligations.

There are billions in other tax cuts in the bill such as the Earned income tax credit to benefit the working poor plus new provisions for an additional $1000 tax credit per child.

$62 billion is dedicated to infrastructure and highway projects plus mass transit and schools which are desperately needed since our roads, bridges, and schools are crumbling but these will put much money into the construction industry while improving our quality of life. Also, its nice to actually have something to show for the money we're spending.

Then there is $40 billion to subsidize health care for the unemployed plus tens of billions for other building projects.

Then, for those who claim they support the troops, you'll find this in the bill:

$3.75 bliion for VA medical centers
$950 million for VA hospital renovations
$600 million to replace Army training and recruit housing
$360 million for military child care centers
$350 million for alternative energy research on military transport
$220 million for Army housing
$210 million to refurbish National Guard centers
$200 million for Air Force housing
$190 million for reserve center projects and refurbishment
$170 million for Navy and Marine Corps Housing
$50 million for veterans memorial repairs

And to think not one GOP member of the House thought any of this was worth funding.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies