Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Fine but one of the BIG problems in Katrina was the housing of violent criminals, rapists, murderers, muggers in with elderly, children, woman. That was absurd.

It is right for family shelters to turn away pedophiles, rapists, drug addicts and so on. Allowing violent predators to prey upon helpless individuals and families seeking only shelter is criminal in itself.

The churches are providing much of the shelter for families. What is stopping the liberal groups, the atheists and so on from providing shelter to sex offenders and other thugs?
Liberal - not conservative - churches provide homeless shelters, drug-addict halfway house places... liberal groups and churches provide domestic violence shelters. They all get state/city funding and couldnt survive without it. Homeless sex offenders - there probably are some, in the biggest cities. But Id guess there are too few to make it cost-efficient to 24/365 for smaller cities.

Liberal churches and groups tend to offer care to the unattractive needy. Does your church sponsor or run a 24 hour shelter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 05:01 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Liberal - not conservative - churches provide homeless shelters, drug-addict halfway house places... liberal groups and churches provide domestic violence shelters. They all get state/city funding and couldnt survive without it. Homeless sex offenders - there probably are some, in the biggest cities. But Id guess there are too few to make it cost-efficient to 24/365 for smaller cities.

Liberal churches and groups tend to offer care to the unattractive needy. Does your church sponsor or run a 24 hour shelter?
Don't know where you live but it's conservative churches here that do those things. The liberal ones here spend more of their time organizing anti-war protests, etc.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:04 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
And the world became just a little bit better place.
At some point this individual made a choice. The choice was to sexually violate another human being. The consequences for such a choice are well known. He did it anyway. In the end he received the same mercy, the same pity, and the same compassion that he granted to his victim. Sorry I have no tears for such an animal.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:29 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
So that automatically gives him an excuse for doing it himself??? Give me a break! That's whats wrong with people nowadays, always trying to justify their crimes with ones that may or may not have been committed against them.
I have been held up at gunpoint before, but I don't go out and buy a gun and hold people up because I was victimized!
I have no sympathy for rapists or child abusers - but does anyone really know the details of what this guy did to be labelled a sex abuser?

Many people are scarred with that title for very minor offenses...

I vividly recall a case of a high-school graduate a few years back - he was one of the brightest in his class - and he had conscentual oral sex with a 17 year old - and was convicted of statutory rape and labelled a sex offender.. He spent a year in jail before public outrage got him out - but he still carries the scarlet-letter of 'sex offender' - and in his case it was conscentual sex... but his life is ruined on the alter of political correctness.

This does not mean that true sexual predators should be allowed in normal shelters - there should be some special provisions at jails or somewhere secure where they could stay...

I just think that crying Hallelujah that this guy is dead, without even knowing what crime he actually committed - is pretty sad...

Old 02-01-2009, 05:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes it does please read the article. 7th paragraph down after the pictures.
children
Oooops.... YES! Read the F-ing Article , you obviously didn't read it, but did a word search, and felt you had a slam dunk when the word child or children was found. Well what you did was to you slam dunked yourself and the fact you did not read the article and have absolutely no idea at all what it says. It in no ways says that he committed any crime against children, but another utterly stupid and ignorant person was quoted in their comment "children should be protected................. blah blah blah"

Reading comprehension much? I suspect not, just a little cherry picking of in your desperation to substantiate your total lack of facts.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:38 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Victim, my eye.

There are people on the sex offender registry for things they did when they were ten.

There are people on the sex offender registry for taking a leak in public where someone's kid saw it.

There are people on the sex offender registry for having sex in the back of a car outside a rock concert.
Bla bla bla. Do you APPROVE of a man sexually absing a child under 13??????

Personally,I think ALL child abusers need to be put down like rabid dogs.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Bla bla bla. Do you APPROVE of a man sexually absing a child under 13??????

Personally,I think ALL child abusers need to be put down like rabid dogs.
agreed.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:55 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
You always sympathize with the criminal. Can you express concern for the child that the sex offender has destroyed, mentally and emotionally, not to mention physically? Fake it if you must, but at least give it the old college try.Why is the pedophiles life greater in value than an innocent little child?
They are both human beings. Why is a child's life worth more than his or any other adult's life? It seems that in our country, children's lives are valued more highly than an adult's life. And that isn't right. If a parent or family member wants to sacrifice their life for their child's, that's their choice to make, but don't make the rest of us have to follow the same standard.

And it seems to me that most pedophiles aren't pedophiles by choice, but rather victims of being abused themselves when they were children. They are broken people, but still human beings that deserve a protection from the elements and entry into shelters.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
They are both human beings. Why is a child's life worth more than his or any other adult's life? It seems that in our country, children's lives are valued more highly than an adult's life. And that isn't right. If a parent or family member wants to sacrifice their life for their child's, that's their choice to make, but don't make the rest of us have to follow the same standard.
Society did not devalue the sex offenders life. The sex offender did through their own actions. The innocent child violated by a sex offender is of greater value than that of any sex offender for 1 reason. They are innocent and they are the victim. The sex offender however ignored societies tennants and made the choice to be less than the rest of us.
This individual earned the scorn he receivedand he earned his rewards.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:05 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times
Default being liberal has it's advantages

not sure I agree with all of your comments.
was watching the first 48 once, detectives were searching for a suspect (homeless) person, and they'd received a phone call from a homeless shelter that the person they were looking for was there, but not allowed into the shelter because of past conflicts. (good judgement exercised here)
I'm all too familiar with the katrina aftermath, and term gov't response as deplorable.
combining liberals with atheist groups? confusing remark to me. liberals are atheists, atheists are liberals?
is dragging a liberal into the discussion fair? as for me, I'm about as far left as one could get, but I've never forgotten my early years teachings to respect life.
here, let's hypothesize for a minute: I'm running a homeless shelter, a sex offender or other criminal has just asked for admittance because he/she is freezing. I turn this person away and do nothing? no. I turn this person away and call the cops, maybe they can help this person's situation? after all, are the cops not out here to serve and protect?
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Fine but one of the BIG problems in Katrina was the housing of violent criminals, rapists, murderers, muggers in with elderly, children, woman. That was absurd.

It is right for family shelters to turn away pedophiles, rapists, drug addicts and so on. Allowing violent predators to prey upon helpless individuals and families seeking only shelter is criminal in itself.

The churches are providing much of the shelter for families. What is stopping the liberal groups, the atheists and so on from providing shelter to sex offenders and other thugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies