Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

I would definitely say yes. They are wasteful, they love over consumption, and they dont care about the climate. Furthermore, their extreme concern only for themselves puts others at risk, as they have no concern for the welfare of other people, only themselves. Hummers, the ugly, inefficient and pretentious monsters that you see being driven by rich and wasteful people, are more llkely than ANY OTHER VEHICLE to be in an accident.

It's not the Hummer's fault, it's the type of person who drive them.

Quote:
The sense of power that Hummer drivers derive from their vehicle may be directly correlated with the number of violations they incur, or perhaps Hummer drivers, by virtue of their driving position, are less likely to notice road hazards, signs, pedestrians and other drivers," Raj Bhat, president of Quality Planning, said in a statement.

Mark S. Foster, author of "A Nation on Wheels: The Automobile Culture in America Since 1945," was even more direct, essentially calling Hummer drivers colossal jerks."Hummer drivers feel like kings of the road because of their elevated driving positions," he said. "As these statistics show, they are leading the pack when it comes to violating the law, which may reflect their driving attitude."

Ouch.
Hummer Drivers Get More Tickets. A Lot More. | Autopia from Wired.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 10:44 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,421 times
I am republican and I drive a hummer 2 to 3 times a week. Its healthy for my marraige and I assumed liberals were aware of such pleasures

No wonder you're so uptight

Old 02-01-2009, 11:01 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
I am republican and I drive a hummer 2 to 3 times a week. Its healthy for my marraige and I assumed liberals were aware of such pleasures

No wonder you're so uptight
You'd no doubt drive one if you could only afford it.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:03 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Lol, yes - the Rush/Sean fan-types, anyway. For all the OP reasons plus they're the embodiment of fear and anger.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 AM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Generalize much?

Old 02-01-2009, 11:08 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,421 times
I can afford it but the wife and I are partial to Caddies, 4.5L V8 is just as vulgar of a glutonous display as anyHummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You'd no doubt drive one if you could only afford it.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:11 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
I know a lot of Democrats that drive one. Some of our city's pro basketball players drive them, along with their corvettes, Harleys, etc. Other Republicans I know drive a Porche. One Democrat leader in our area who has a picture of himself with Obama is driven around in a limo, while another drives a Mercedes. The point is, I don't the choice of car depicts the political party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Lol, yes - the Rush/Sean fan-types, anyway. For all the OP reasons plus they're the embodiment of fear and anger.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:12 AM

5,341 posts, read 4,429,096 times
It would be interesting to gather such information at POP.

I have several friends that own Hummers and not a one of them is a conservative or an independent.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
I know a lot of Democrats that drive one. Some of our city's pro basketball players drive them, along with their corvettes, Harleys, etc. Other Republicans I know drive a Porche. One Democrat leader in our area who has a picture of himself with Obama is driven around in a limo, while another drives a Mercedes. The point is, I don't the choice of car depicts the political party.
Sure it's generalizing, but Im going to generalize that in my neck of the Midwest woods those are the Hummer buyers: people motivated in their car choice by a mix of fear and aggression.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:26 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Funny. Most of the yuppies out here where I live are liberals, and most of them have been driving SUVs for a long time. Lots of hypocrisies in topics like this.

I have another take on this particular issue, though. After 9/11 hit there was a new interest in domestic vacations. RVs enjoyed a rise in sales for awhile, and more families simply travelled to other states, often as road-trips. We owned a couple of SUVs over the years and enjoyed them immensely in road-trips, and were able to use them in places that can't accommodate smaller cars.

So complain about the Big Cars all you want ~ they've had their places in contributing towards our economy. The gasoline crisis has affected domestic travel, too.

We don't own an SUV anymore but we do keep an old pick-up truck handy for transporting stuff. And I know there's a need out there for them, because people keep wanting to "borrow" our truck to deliver/pick up stuff. I do get tired of it.

So, no, a 'big car' is not a blue or red thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies