Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:07 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times

Advertisements

I went to a department store a few months and was repulsed to see 2 muslim women cashiers with scarves on. Why don't these ppl try to assimilate to American ways? If they want to wear their scarves so religiously, why don't they go back to their own countries and live among their own? I noticed that when i went back, they were gone. Does an employer have a right to demand that they stick to a uniform dress code for its employees? My problem with muslims is that they repeatedly go to "tolerant" countries like Netherlands and US and refuse to give up their primitive religious beliefs and dress codes or assimilate.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,222 times
"Does an employer have the right to ask an employee to remove their religious scarves?"

No.

Quote:
"Why don't these ppl try to assimilate to American ways? If they want to wear their scarves so religiously, why don't they go back to their own countries and live among their own?"

Maybe they don't know about these "American Ways" you speak of, since they probably got the old brochure that told them they would be free here.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:15 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
I believe an employer has the right to ask them to remove their scarves - but wouldnt they have worn their scarves to the job interview? This employer doesnt seem to mind.

You might try looking at it as you would a crucifix or Amish people's modest clothes.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:16 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I went to a department store a few months and was repulsed to see 2 muslim women cashiers with scarves on. Why don't these ppl try to assimilate to American ways? If they want to wear their scarves so religiously, why don't they go back to their own countries and live among their own? I noticed that when i went back, they were gone. Does an employer have a right to demand that they stick to a uniform dress code for its employees? My problem with muslims is that they repeatedly go to "tolerant" countries like Netherlands and US and refuse to give up their primitive religious beliefs and dress codes or assimilate.
Did the scarves affect the women's ability to function as cashiers? Was their service to you impaired by the presence of scarves? If not, then I don't really see what the big deal is.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:17 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
The American way is freedom of religion isn't it? And I believe we can also wear what we want within public decency standards. If an employer has a dress code, I expect that an employee will have to abide by it but if they need to cover themselves for religious reasons that is their right.

The truth is, even if these women did everything you felt they should do to make YOU feel more comfortable in their presence they would never trully be assimilated because they will never be enough like YOU for you to accept them.

Assimilation is just a crap word used by people who don't like other people that are obviously different than them.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:22 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:

I am more offended by a clerk wearing a baseball cap or shirt saying "The South is Going to Rise Again" or "FU2" then I do having someone with a hijab or a yamaka.

Can a employer tell a chemo patient not to wear a scarf as not to offend someone?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:24 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,222 times
Quote:
My problem with muslims is that they repeatedly go to "tolerant" countries like Netherlands and US and refuse to give up their primitive religious beliefs and dress codes or assimilate.
That's pretty funny too. I can't believe I didn't see that the first time. This is a joke, right?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:26 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,873 times
Sounds like they understand america better than you do!

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Old 02-01-2009, 03:27 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
OP, I understand what you mean - I expect cashiers and people I have to deal with at stores to be pretty unobtrusive. Obnoxious tattoos and hair and bad personal grooming affect my inclination to shop places - but you can also kind of tell what to expect by the rest of the store, too.

Personally I'd cheer to see scarves and yarmulkes, but that's just me. I like to see Indian women's saris.

Those women might be very well educated and personable ladies - you dont know why they're working as cashiers.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:29 PM

283 posts, read 597,509 times
If one of us went to the lumber yard with a turbon our bosses would have our ass. He should too. It isn't American. I am sick of these tolerant liberals allowing every other evil society come to our country. If they want to come here, then obey our rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies