Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
But step right up, folks...feel free to do the right thing by being throughly vetted today! Put all your papers on the table and let's see how many can pass muster. People are out there cutting every corner they think they can get away with. What are the actual chances that you're not one of them...
An illuminating post.

I would have no problem with that whatsoever. Honesty has never been a problem for me, nor for lots of other Americans -- a pretty healthy majority, I would bet.

Yet more evidence of what living in the capital zone does to people....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:55 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Bill Richardson / gone....

Tom Daschle in serious jeopardy....

Now the watchdog lady goes down.....

Obama nominee withdraws over taxes - White House- msnbc.com

This is change?

Jeezus.
yes it is change, change of staff! but it is similar to what bush faced with many of his nominees, i think this is what happens when you have others influencing your picks if that actually occured?

sometime people should take risk and pick lesser names and or people who have not been in previous admins who will taint the new

Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,306,337 times
Obama was never vetted...and he still absolutely refuses to release his records. He's ineligible to be President, thus the Dumbocrats have elected a fraud, usurper as President.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:55 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
I would have no problem with that whatsoever. Honesty has never been a problem for me...
I've read too many of your posts to fall for that in any normal sense. In the sense that if you just don't care about honesty, how could it ever become a problem for you, maybe...

Quote:
...nor for lots of other Americans -- a pretty healthy majority, I would bet.
Well, the IRS variously estimates that the amount of tax owed but not paid is around $350 billion annually. Either quite a lot of people are TAX CHEATS or there are a couple of guys who are just making out like bandits out there...

Quote:
Yet more evidence of what living in the capital zone does to people....
Tends to bring one a little closer to reality. You should try that sometime yourself, though the trip might be a long one...

Old 02-06-2009, 04:41 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,193,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
It makes me feel as though they are almost ALL on somebody's take or cheating in some way and anyone he touches might have problems in this area.
To me, it is a sad commentary on how corruption has been accepted as commonplace in our government.
I blame this financial crisis on them and not Wall Street.
I expect financial people to be greedy. It is what they do, like birds flying. I expect the government to put a damper on their over-enthusiasm.
Instead, the government sold out.
We had those Glass-Steagall Bills, created after the Great Depression, to prevent it ever happening again.
Piece by piece different administrations, responding to urgent requests by business both Pres and Congress, removed these protections/government regulations, until nothing was left. Then, this thing hit. It should have been predicted. Everyone is trying to make a quick profit and escape before the thing hit the fan.

So it hit, and is in Obama's lap.
Hard to get the corruption business out of government when most of your employees are on the take.
Anymore, I have given up any hopes of my cynicism evaporating because government found a conscious.

I expect to find a rotted and bloated government laying next to an unethical corporate brotherhood in the same brothel and a media that would rather report on Phelps doing bong hits or a monkey running loose in a Japanese train station then bothering to mention that there is trouble in paradise.

The people cannot honestly rely upon any of these three entities providing a proper model to follow and I cannot rely upon people to have enough common sense to realize it.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:42 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootr View Post
Obama was never vetted...and he still absolutely refuses to release his records. He's ineligible to be President, thus the Dumbocrats have elected a fraud, usurper as President.
an obama stan, wow....

Old 02-06-2009, 07:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Didn't the Roman General, Tacitus once say, "The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the state"?

I think we might start running out of Democrats here pretty soon, I mean do any of them have a clean tax record? They may consider picking

To be honest, I think the entire Congress should be vetted and audited. I would like to know just how many other members of Congress aren't exactly square with their taxes.
I am a Dem and my tax record is clean.

Quote:
We've lost two superb candidates to having set the bar too high. It wasn't Obama being damaged today, it was best interests of the nation. No doubt quality people will be confirmed instead -- Kathy Sebelius is being talked about for HHS, for instance -- but losing top people for trivial reasons is a sign that things have simply gone too far. And I guess we really haven't gotten down yet to the matter of whose dog isn't licensed or whose cat hasn't had a rabies shot in the last year. Can't imagine the damage that could be done once we get to that level...
What Geithner and Daschle did (more like didn't do) is not "trivial", it's large scale fraud. Over $100,000 in taxes owed, in the case of Daschle. It has nothing to do with claiming too much money for donating used closthes (I used the Salv. Army's methodology, BTW, when we donated to them), things like that. I think that is obvious.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:34 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
God forbid people ask anything from their damn government, those kind, gentle, ethical and righteous souls.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:42 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Daschle did his own taxes.
He, upon his name being mentioned, had a CPA scrutinize his taxes.
When the irregularities were found he reported it, himself, and paid the back taxes and associated fines.

Honestly, if someone sent a limo to pick me up I would not think that I would have to assess the value of the ride and report taxes on it because it was a gift.

Then again, it's been a very long time that someone has even mentioned my name associated wit a limo.

Does that mean, technically, that any time I ride in a friend's car I should be paying tax on it? Ok. a limo and private jet are another thing, but technically is this true?

Old 02-08-2009, 06:19 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
I've read too many of your posts to fall for that in any normal sense. In the sense that if you just don't care about honesty, how could it ever become a problem for you, maybe...
Maybe you need to start falling for something. The cynicism you express is depressing.

Quote:
Well, the IRS variously estimates that the amount of tax owed but not paid is around $350 billion annually. Either quite a lot of people are TAX CHEATS or there are a couple of guys who are just making out like bandits out there...
I think both of those factors are at play, certainly. The fact remains that they do not in any way describe me or the overwhelming majority of the American people. A pity you find that so flabbergasting.

Quote:
Tends to bring one a little closer to reality. You should try that sometime yourself, though the trip might be a long one...
Geographically, yes. Reality-wise, nah. In fact, you need to get away from Foggy Bottom and get out here to God's Country -- though we'll rename it Darwinvania to make you more comfortable, if you wish...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies