Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:24 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times

Advertisements

Offshore Outsourcing penalties should be a component of the Stimulus Bill - it's an idea I hope actually comes to fruition and I would like to know everybody's thoughts on it.

My thoughts are that to help create US jobs, we should start penalizing US companies, rather stiffly, for offshore outsourcing any jobs going forward. Those jobs do nothing to contribute to the US economy (no US income taxes are paid for them, the money just flows out from the US company into another country's economy).

I'll admit, it's a complicated issue as companies are great at hiding true outsourcing numbers (very large US companies like IBM just set up other companies overseas and act like they are just business partnering with foreign companies that happen to employ foreign/low-cost labor). That stated, there has got to be some ways to make things right here. Some ways to actually discourage offshore outsourcing.

Thoughts? Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Offshore Outsourcing penalties should be a component of the Stimulus Bill - it's an idea I hope actually comes to fruition and I would like to know everybody's thoughts on it.

My thoughts are that to help create US jobs, we should start penalizing US companies, rather stiffly, for offshore outsourcing any jobs going forward. Those jobs do nothing to contribute to the US economy (no US income taxes are paid for them, the money just flows out from the US company into another country's economy).

I'll admit, it's a complicated issue as companies are great at hiding true outsourcing numbers (very large US companies like IBM just set up other companies overseas and act like they are just business partnering with foreign companies that happen to employ foreign/low-cost labor). That stated, there has got to be some ways to make things right here. Some ways to actually discourage offshore outsourcing.

Thoughts? Ideas?
You are just trying to stop the tide with a broom. Outsourcing is the way to go now...like it or not. Heck, even the more developed asian countries (as an example) have seen jobs transfered to their lesser-developed neighbours..

Old 02-05-2009, 12:40 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Of course, times have changed drastically since - even a month ago, and I dont feel like digging around in the whitehouse.gov website...probably all these plans are in the air right now as we speak so there may be nothing official on that site yet (if there were it would be in "Issues > Economy").

This is probably obsolete or is being reworked; it's from the old barackobama.com campaign site. Im offering it because it shows at least Obama does know it's a problem and want(ed) to save jobs.
End Tax Breaks for Companies that Send Jobs Overseas: Barack Obama and Joe Biden believe that companies should not get billions of dollars in tax deductions for moving their operations overseas. Obama and Biden will also fight to ensure that public contracts are awarded to companies that are committed to American workers.

Reward Companies that Support American Workers: Barack Obama introduced the Patriot Employer Act of 2007 with Senators Richard Durbin (D-IL) and Sherrod Brown (D-OH) to reward companies that create good jobs with good benefits for American workers. The legislation would provide a tax credit to companies that maintain or increase the number of full-time workers in America relative to those outside the US; maintain their corporate headquarters in America if it has ever been in America; pay decent wages; prepare workers for retirement; provide health insurance; and support employees who serve in the military.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:28 PM

711 posts, read 933,104 times
Certainly some protectionism is warranted for many reasons. Can one visualize what the US will be like in the future if these practices are not better controlled or curtailed.

Those establishing new companies can simply start them elsewhere, but companies considered US companies that engage in these practices could have their rights to sell their products to US consumers restricted.

Offshoring/outsourcing is unfair exploitation and benefits the elitist upper rungs of US society more than any other group. It will create even further voids between the haves and have-nots if continued at the level of the last decade.

There are those that proclaim these matters mod inevitable and stylish, kind of like a fashion trend. Also, the free trade yips can't show an example of TRUE free trade or show a successful track history of any substance.

These issues are born in elitist management circles for the benefit of the same. As for the rest of us and our nation expanded trade and commerce of the ethical kind is much in order.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:49 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
OK so where do we go from here? How do we ensure this topic is addressed well by the Obama administration?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:22 AM

370 posts, read 440,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
You are just trying to stop the tide with a broom. Outsourcing is the way to go now...like it or not. Heck, even the more developed asian countries (as an example) have seen jobs transfered to their lesser-developed neighbours..

Not sure if this is satire but obviously given the current state of the economy I would say its not the way to go.

If you are serious explain why this would be beneficial? Who will be able to afford these products and services?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:34 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Even though I do not know if it is true, I read that for every job outsourced, two new jobs are actually created. For example, manufacturing jobs go to Asia, but companies that send those jobs to Asia do all of their R&D in the United States. Less money in manufacturing means more for R&D. You have to decide between middle income industrial/manufacturing jobs, or high paying white collar jobs. It is only natural that companies outsource, Europe has been doing it for years.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:51 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Even though I do not know if it is true, I read that for every job outsourced, two new jobs are actually created. For example, manufacturing jobs go to Asia, but companies that send those jobs to Asia do all of their R&D in the United States. Less money in manufacturing means more for R&D. You have to decide between middle income industrial/manufacturing jobs, or high paying white collar jobs. It is only natural that companies outsource, Europe has been doing it for years.

Where did you hear that job creation via outsourcing story? Sounds like a lovely PR tale by some huge corporation...

Old 02-06-2009, 09:26 AM

370 posts, read 440,616 times
Quote:

So are you saying that the white collar jobs couldnt be outsourced as well? If so, why not?

As an umemployed IT professional I can tell you first hand its not just blue collar workers.

Also think about this. Every job that is done on a computer these days can be outsourced. Do you think that is a good thing for our econonmy?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:47 AM

711 posts, read 933,104 times
Quote:
I disagree. The stats. don't show that there are two new jobs created for one outsourced--just SOME new jobs
of a different kind.

It seems the corporate world has already decided for Americans that they would rather have obedient white collar workers at higher salaries than manufacturing workers. This pocketbook decision has also, to some extent, engineered our society and American way of life. The practice has been very large in scope and detrimental in many ways.

IMO manufacturing is much too critical to be allowed to leave our shores. Making things hasn't gone out of style and neither have the interests of the American middle class. If corporate actions are based solely on their interests and they conflict with common national good than encouragement, controls and regulation must occur.
"Because we can"cannot be accepted.

Europe has generally been more protectionist concerning their commerce and corporations, and have benefited from cooperative efforts of gov't. and corporations.
Check it out.

Last edited by bluskyz; 02-06-2009 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies