Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:02 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

Do you think they work?
I am disturbed about all the corruption of police and politicians this has caused. I look at Mexico, the land of competing drug gangs and don't want us to turn into that, and fear that we may.

Many other countries who have tried the American approach has said it failed.

Do you think some other countries are addressing this better, cutting the overall cost to society and eliminating much of the corruption/profit?

If so, how would you change our approach?

Last edited by goldengrain; 02-05-2009 at 09:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
I do have some problems with drug laws. Some stuff like meth and crack are so destructive that I think they should be controled. However with things like alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana I think our current laws do more harm then good. Marijuana by virtue of it being illegal causes drug gangs. When ever a good or service is prohibited, ie marijuana, gambling, prostituton etc. it creates an illegal culture of gangs and thuggery because there is a profit in it for criminals. In the case of marijuana the profit is $38 Billion annually the largest cash crop in America. With that said in my opinion marijuana is not as harmful as the illegal culture it being illegal creates. As such I think it should be controlled much in the same way hard liquor is control in some states with a government monopoly of ABC stores or in the case of marijuana, Marijuana Control stores. This way it will eliminate the profit motive for criminals, allow taxes to be collected, and in general allow a more safe way for the product to be grown and distributed as well as helping to keep it off school campuses by more controlled access. Tobacco I think is being over restricted because people can no longer choose to make their establishments smoking or non smoking these days. I think that should be the propritor's decision for his or her property not the governments. Alcohol I feel is too restricted mainly because many states do not allow parents to serve small amounts of alcohol to their children at dinner in their own homes. This I think is foolish because the best way for a child to learn about alcohol is with parental guidence. The government should not punish parents for choosing how and when they introduce there children to Alcohol and though many states have made home, and parental exceptions to the rule many states still deem that parents who offer there kids small amounts of alcohol in the home to teach them about drinking are criminals.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
I would stop federal raids in states that have already decided for themselves on the issue of marijuana. It would be nice if states could decide their own laws when it came to marijuana without its citizens worrying federal agents will arrest them for having marijuana that is legal under state law.

NORML Blog » Blog Archive » The Public Says “No More DEA Raids!” The President Says “No More DEA Raids!” So Why Are There More DEA Raids?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:01 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
The majority of otherwise law abiding citizens have to put themselves in compromising situations to obtain a plant. I, for one, would cherish the thought of creating a less compromising and criminal atmosphere developing in our nation by decrimilizing this plant.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:48 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Illegal drugs only go to support organized crime syndicates. It is time we stop supporting terrorism and support freedom instead.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
Some countries, I notice, actually allow marijuana only if you grow your own. Selling is illegal.
Many, many, have treated it as more of a health issue and not a law enforcement issue.

Countries tend to have a tiered classification of drugs, from safest, like marijuana, to
destructive drugs.

Depending on what you are caught with you get a slap on the wrist or nothing to criminal charges.
At any rate the money that we spend on imprisoning people - maybe a decade ago it was $40 to 50k, it must be higher now - we could really be doing some good rehab for people, and instead of paying for more prison guards we would be putting money in helping professions.

It usually takes at least three rehab tries before a person kicks a habit.

It is very hard, with long waits, to get into rehab once in the US.

Should a dumb 20 something be stuck with a prison term on his record for life for making a stupid decision?

Old 02-06-2009, 11:33 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
I'd create a massive Ad Council campaign - "Get Off the Damn Drugs" - to make using drugs look weak and uncool - drug users are tools of the government drug suppliers, are directly responsible for death, suffering and mayhem...I''d offer a challenge, watch what happens, who suffers, when nobody does drugs for three months. Self-rightous anger works.

It worked for littering.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:45 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,777,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I'd create a massive Ad Council campaign - "Get Off the Damn Drugs" - to make using drugs look weak and uncool
lol .. mk

Quote:
drug users ... are directly responsible for death, suffering and mayhem...I''d offer a challenge, watch what happens, who suffers, when nobody does drugs for three months. Self-rightous anger works.
Yes, cause all of those pot smokers just sit around, get high, and cause all of that there death, suffering, and mayhem .

I'm more prone to logic in this situation. Creating a criminal atmosphere ... begets crime. I do not have any studies to back me up, but I'd say 90% of "drug users" probably only do pot (which is up to debate - whether it is a drug or not). Legalize that, and you take away the majority of the underground criminal atmosphere and the harsh social ramifications that come along with it for everyone. Then, keep the harder man-made stuff illegal and wipe out the last 10% with focused police man-power.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:49 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
lol .. mk

Yes, cause all of those pot smokers just sit around, get high, and cause all of that there death, suffering, and mayhem .

I'm more prone to logic in this situation. Creating a criminal atmosphere ... begets crime. I do not have any studies to back me up, but I'd say 90% of "drug users" probably only do pot (which is up to debate - whether it is a drug or not). Legalize that, and you take away the majority of the underground criminal atmosphere and the harsh social ramifications that come along with it for everyone. Then, keep the harder man-made stuff illegal and wipe out the last 10% with focused police man-power.
I dont mean pot, obviously.

If the question is about pot...there's some state(s?) where's it's legal up to X-ounces...I'd make that national, and not bother people who are growing their own in their own houses or on their own land in X-size quantities.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:50 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
No! We need to both legalize and tax marijuana!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies