Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:29 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,489 times

Advertisements

Kelloggs instead of ending their agreement with Phelps because of cash issues (ie credit crunch), took the opportunity to jump on the Phelps bashing bandwagon for cheap publicity. i think it is extreme hypocrisy as kelloggs has been pushing copious amounts of sugar on to unsuspecting children for decades. sugar, if you don't know, is addictive and an exponentially bigger problem than marijuana, just look at obesity, diabetes etc!

everyone is screaming about his duties as a role model. i look at phelps as a good swimmer, not for his moral fabric. i encourage my kids to see him in the same light. if you as a parent have blown him up to saint-like status that's your problem. he is just a swimmer!

this whole affair is a crushing indictment on our waning democracy. the idea that we should legislate and ban everything that we don't agree with is a blatant infringement on our civil liberties. we better wake up because a ban on something you don't like is only a step away from a ban on something you do!

i will never buy another kelloggs product again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 05:32 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
Kelloggs instead of ending their agreement with Phelps because of cash issues (ie credit crunch), took the opportunity to jump on the Phelps bashing bandwagon for cheap publicity. i think it is extreme hypocrisy as kelloggs has been pushing copious amounts of sugar on to unsuspecting children for decades. sugar, if you don't know, is addictive and an exponentially bigger problem than marijuana, just look at obesity, diabetes etc!

everyone is screaming about his duties as a role model. i look at phelps as a good swimmer, not for his moral fabric. i encourage my kids to see him in the same light. if you as a parent have blown him up to saint-like status that's your problem. he is just a swimmer!

this whole affair is a crushing indictment on our waning democracy. the idea that we should legislate and ban everything that we don't agree with is a blatant infringement on our civil liberties. we better wake up because a ban on something you don't like is only a step away from a ban on something you do!

i will never buy another kelloggs product again!
Wow, I bet you really have kelloggs quaking in their shoes with all the power and influence you have. They are a company and they can have who they want endorsing their products and it isn't Phelps anymore. Get over it

Old 02-06-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Wow, I bet you really have kelloggs quaking in their shoes with all the power and influence you have. They are a company and they can have who they want endorsing their products and it isn't Phelps anymore. Get over it

i don't dispute that they are a company and can pick and choose who they want. imo what they did was a cheap shot. they were probably going to wind down the contract anyway with economic constraints.

the issue for me is that there are many in our country who'd boycott kelloggs were they to stick with phelps. i'm just presenting the other side of the coin and my own indictment on the war on drugs!

Old 02-06-2009, 05:54 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,053,611 times
I'd have boycotted Kelloggs had they not ended his endorsement contract. Athletes are a dime a dozen, they'll find somebody else.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:55 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Right on, Icy.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'd have boycotted Kelloggs had they not ended his endorsement contract. Athletes are a dime a dozen, they'll find somebody else.
i wouldn't expect any less from the neocons!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,652 times
Last time I checked, a private company can do whatever they want with their advertising contracts.. Since Phelps violated that contract by smoking weed, Kellog's has every right to drop him. There is probably a huge line of other athletes who would kill for a new advertising deal..

Good luck with your boycott.....

Old 02-06-2009, 06:43 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,101 times
I would think that Kellogg's would embrace Phelps. I mean there's nothing like downing a box of cheezit's after pulling tubes! Or eggo waffles, or pop-tarts, or Sandies...

Mmmm....Sandies.

Since about 1/2 of Americans admit to having smoked pot, I think Kellogg's made a bad business decision, myself.

Last edited by Art123; 02-06-2009 at 07:14 AM..

Old 02-06-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Last time I checked, a private company can do whatever they want with their advertising contracts.. Since Phelps violated that contract by smoking weed, Kellog's has every right to drop him. There is probably a huge line of other athletes who would kill for a new advertising deal..

Good luck with your boycott.....

for the 2nd time, i don't dispute that they can do whatever their contract says. i will boycott them because they took a cheap shot for publicity and the are hypocrites.

i will get behind phelps because he brought us gold and as far as i'm concerned that is what he job was. if you're looking to 23 yr old sports stars as role models for your kid's moral education, or movie stars, politicians, businessmen, you're probably looking in the wrong place. might i suggest going to the kids cancer ward at any hospital and have a chat to the nurses, or going to speak to volunteers at homes for the aged if you're looking for spiritual/moral role models.

i will also get behind phelps because he proves that it's not just degenerate junkies who smoke pot. his actions speak volumes about our irrational approach to the whole drug issue. he also highlights the erosion of our civil liberties by the legislature, judiciary, media, paramiliary police force and president

Old 02-06-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I would think that Kellogg's would embrace Phelps. I mean there's nothing like downing a box of cheezit's after pulling tubes! Or eggo waffles, or pop-tarts, or Sandies...

Mmmm....Sandies.

Since about 1/2 of Americans admit to have smoked pot, I think Kellogg's made a bad business decision, myself.

hahahahahahahahaha! brilliant! now if we can just get some of those who have smoked a joint to get behind the boycott!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies