Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:36 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
You would wear a fur coat made from a wild animal??
WOW, really??
Most of us here would, just like the guys in Florida would wear an Alligator belt or carry a purse made of the critters.

At -50, the fur is pretty warm and have kept people from freezing to death for years, same as bear, mink and a host of other critters.

Most people in the states don't think twice about going to McDonald's to eat meat, have leather seats in their cars, leather boots and the list goes on... but will rally against a wolf kill because they are "Cute", they are neat to listen to at night, but are far from "Cute", they are in fact, very good at killing in their own right. You should see how terrified a moose is being torn apart by wolves and hear it bellow for help... Not a pretty picture either.

The reason the Palin allows wolf hunts is to balance out the moose/caribou populations, you get too many of one, the other is affected. There is a balance and Alaska has a very good, wolf, moose, bear, eagle and other critter population that most states would give a right arm for. She has an army of Biologist that monitor the populations, not counting the far left wacko's that don't have a clue and just keep yelling "Save the Wolves", then go out and eat meat, when they have no clue to what "Balance" means.

Carry on with the rants, pretty neat to hear stupidity in action....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:39 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
There's no need to wear fur in Alaska. Not in the 21st century. At the same time, Native peoples--such as the Gwich'in in Arctic Village--depend on the Caribou for their livelihood. Caribou are at the center of their culture. They hunt them, but have a deep respect for them. They use every part of the animal: the pelts are used for clothing and boots. I have no problem with such people, who live off nature, but would never THINK of needlessly harming an innocent creature.
What I was pointing out that even among people who wear fur, most would point out that the animal is ranch raised. People who taxidermy animals also ranch raise animals. My Mother has a mink coat, made from ranch raised mink.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
There's no need to wear fur in Alaska. Not in the 21st century. At the same time, Native peoples--such as the Gwich'in in Arctic Village--depend on the Caribou for their livelihood. Caribou are at the center of their culture. They hunt them, but have a deep respect for them. They use every part of the animal: the pelts are used for clothing and boots. I have no problem with such people, who live off nature, but would never THINK of needlessly harming an innocent creature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Most of us here would, just like the guys in Florida would wear an Alligator belt or carry a purse made of the critters.

At -50, the fur is pretty warm and have kept people from freezing to death for years, same as bear, mink and a host of other critters.

Most people in the states don't think twice about going to McDonald's to eat meat, have leather seats in their cars, leather boots and the list goes on... but will rally against a wolf kill because they are "Cute", they are neat to listen to at night, but are far from "Cute", they are in fact, very good at killing in their own right. You should see how terrified a moose is being torn apart by wolves and hear it bellow for help... Not a pretty picture either.

The reason the Palin allows wolf hunts is to balance out the moose/caribou populations, you get too many of one, the other is affected. There is a balance and Alaska has a very good, wolf, moose, bear, eagle and other critter population that most states would give a right arm for. She has an army of Biologist that monitor the populations, not counting the far left wacko's that don't have a clue and just keep yelling "Save the Wolves", then go out and eat meat, when they have no clue to what "Balance" means.

I do understand that at some times there is a need for hunting to balance things out, thats why they allow the hunting of alligators here in Florida however doing it from a helicopter is just not fair pool. I suppose you believe in dropping a stick of dynamite in the lake to fish so all the fish float to the stop stunned. Of course not because thats not sportsmen like. Its just not sportsmen like to shoot an animal from a helicopter. Get on the ground and track the animal if it HAS to be done.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:52 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post

No need to wear fur. There are plenty of alternatives these days.

Wolves are predators. Predators are necessary to ecological systems balance.

The reason Palin allows wolf hunts is because she wants votes from hunters. There is no imbalance of wolf populations in Alaska. Palin is lying to you.

Sarah Palin, predator control, shooting wolves | Salon

http://www.defenders.org/resources/p...gov._palin.pdf

You should educate yourself before you start calling other people "stupid."

Old 02-08-2009, 12:58 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Maybe you don't know Palin as well as you think you do. She is all for the hunting of polar bears was against Bush putting them on an endangered list. Its the wolves they hunt out of a helicopter, they don't even have a fighting chance.

If you don't like the realities of living in Alaska then don't live there. Its disgusting to desimate the wildlife to make it nicer for you. I cringe when here in Florida they build houses where wildlife are found and then people whine when their doggy gets taken off a leash by an alligator in the retention pond. OR even better when a bear wanders into a neighborhood and rather then relocate him they shoot him. Its not his fault we moved into his backyard. Just the other day they had a wildcat of some sort, bobcat I think that they put down because they found him in a neighborhood. He hadn't even killed any pets and they gave him death rather then relocation.

As for me, I like the fact that wild animals live around me, that I could wake up one morning and find a bear or an alligator on my front lawn. I would never hurt one unless he gave me no choice. Just the other day I got to see a big black/brown bear crossing the road near my daughters school. The very last thing I could do would be to kill him, I have far too much respect for wildlife to relish the killing of innocent wild animals.

I don't think you can blame the wolf for his food sources being depleted, MAN has been at fault for that, not the wolf. I understand some hunting is necessary with certain wild animals but HERE you are governed in HOW you do this hunting, when you do it etc. For example you can't go around with a bright light blinding alligators at night and shooting them. There are rules. This idea of using a helicopter to hunt them is just disgusting and doesn't even give the animal a chance.

What color is the sky in your world?

"I cringe when here in Florida they build HOUSES where wildlife are found"

"I like the fact that wild animals live around me, that I could wake up one morning and find a bear or an alligator on my front lawn."

Did you not just make BOTH of these statements? Please tell me you don't live in a HOUSE!!!

Aren't you doing the very same thing by living in the animal's environment as the people you are complaining about?

"The very last thing I could do would be to kill him, I have far too much respect for wildlife to relish the killing of innocent wild animals."

Please don't tell me you're pro-abortion!!!

"This idea of using a helicopter to hunt them is just disgusting and doesn't even give the animal a chance."

Would you sleep better at night if they jumped out from behind trees and beat their brains out with baseball bats?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:02 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,279,481 times
No need to do either.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
What color is the sky in your world?

"I cringe when here in Florida they build HOUSES where wildlife are found"

"I like the fact that wild animals live around me, that I could wake up one morning and find a bear or an alligator on my front lawn."

Did you not just make BOTH of these statements? Please tell me you don't live in a HOUSE!!!

Aren't you doing the very same thing by living in the animal's environment as the people you are complaining about?

"The very last thing I could do would be to kill him, I have far too much respect for wildlife to relish the killing of innocent wild animals."

Please don't tell me you're pro-abortion!!!

"This idea of using a helicopter to hunt them is just disgusting and doesn't even give the animal a chance."

Would you sleep better at night if they jumped out from behind trees and beat their brains out with baseball bats?
WOW, hostile much??

The reality is I don't live in that kind of neighborhood. The wildest thing I have ever found are Sand Hill Cranes. If you check out the map of Florida though you will see developments built right up against natural lakes. I used to work in a buildling that was right up against a natural lake and all you had to do is walk out where people took a smoke break to see where they had flicked their cigarette butts on the ground where the baby Sand Hill Cranes were hatching out of their eggs. I truly did work with vultures, the real ones, this land was their breeding ground too, the buildling being in the way didn't displace them, they just hung out around it in a Halloween sort of scene.

Do you know much about hunting in the lower 48?? There are rules that make it more sportsmen like, like I pointed out earlier, poachers of alligators take bright lights and blind the gators and then shoot them which is against the law. Hunting any animal from the sky in a helicopter is just not sportsmen like.

Near my daughters school is a place that is heavey with bears. You hear about people loosing a cat or a dog to a bear. While I feel terrible for the pet that is lost, you can't really blame the bear, he is only doing what he knows, its the owners that are at fault.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
1) Dogs should not be left unattended outside.
It is amazing how much city folks have no clue to what is real. It only takes a few seconds for a wolf to grab your dog by the throat and drag it off into the woods.

Quote:
2) There is no need for aerial hunting of wolves in Alaska. It's also inhumane.
How would you know what is needed, other than watching the wacko's on TV tell you so. Have you even been in the wilderness to see what is "Right"... Odds are, you are probably a city person with no clue of what being around real wild animals is like. (Zoo's don't count)

Quote:
3) Alaska is not an island. All Americans pay taxes that go to support Alaska. It is part of the United States.
Alaska pays out more in Federal Taxes of all kinds per person capita over any other State. We pay out in Oil taxes from the oil you get to run your car, fishing, mining, timber and a host of other sources that makes getting some of it back a good deal for the State.

Quote:
3) Stop generalizing about "animal rights organizations." Your comments are offensive and insulting. I support animal rights, I don't belong to PETA (mainstream media strikes again), I have no financial investment in fighting for animal rights, and don't have a "cash flow" as a result of my support of it. I'll never understand why human beings are so THREATENED by even the IDEA of animals being treated well and humanely. You remind me of the slave-holders in the 19th century who were just CERTAIN that freedom for slaves would result in destruction of the nation. Or the white men in the early 20th century who were just CERTAIN that votes for women would result in destruction of the nation. And now the anti-animal rights neanderthals: OMG: Take the health and wellbeing of animals seriously and the sky will fall!!! Animals are sentient beings. They have emotions, they feel pain, they deserve respect. Get over it.
Clearly a rant with no real direction

Quote:
4) The problem of the wolves and the salmon is a sustainability problem. If you understood how ecosystems work, you would know that. And unhealthy ecosystems impact adjacent ecosystems. This means, for example, that acreage lost in the Amazon Rain forest affects people in Alaska.
Another mindless rant and proof that you have no concept of the "Ecosystems". Yes they are cutting/burning "jungles" in the Amazon, not "rain forests" as claimed, they don't burn because of all the rain and soggy vegetation don't burn...

What they do after clearing the land is plant crops to replace what they took off the land, so there is still plants growing and giving off oxygen unlike the tree huggers claim. So this killing the air is bunk.... It is however, a great way to claim something that isn't true to raise money for whomever's cause. Besides, claiming a "Rain Forest" verses a "Jungle", brings in a lot more money from idiots that don't know the difference.

There is no acreage lost, just replanted for food for those that live there.

So what is your suggestion on the food base, don't plant crops or kill animals for food. By the way, wild Salmon isn't a problem here in Alaska, we have a very good abundance of salmon, matter of fact, there is so much the prices have been pretty low for a number of years.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
No need to wear fur. There are plenty of alternatives these days.

Wolves are predators. Predators are necessary to ecological systems balance.

The reason Palin allows wolf hunts is because she wants votes from hunters. There is no imbalance of wolf populations in Alaska. Palin is lying to you.

Sarah Palin, predator control, shooting wolves | Salon

http://www.defenders.org/resources/p...gov._palin.pdf

You should educate yourself before you start calling other people "stupid."
Sad you have no clue to what Alaska is like.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:14 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Cheri Shankar: Palin Shows No Love for Baby Wolves
Sarah Palin and her support of hunting wolves from helicopters if ALL OVER THE INTERNET.

State will sue over polar bear listing, Palin says: Polar Bear News | adn.com
Check this link out directly to an Alaskan newspaper. Palin was so against the polar bear being added to the endangered list, Alaska sued over it.

You can find a HUGE number of listings on both by putting the main words into google. If you SAY you support someone, at least know what they stand for.

As for me, I do indeed love animals. I would only harm a wild animal if the animal was going to cause harm to myself or another human being. I have yet to meet someone who loves wild animals so much they are willing to allow themselves to be killed or maimed for them.

Palin is a dangerous crackpot. At least Cheney only shot at his lawyer, we could do with a few less of them in the states.

"Palin is a dangerous crackpot."

And the animal "rights" folks are sane? You should be held for observation just for constantly contradicting yourself. It's almost as though someone with multiple personalities were writing your posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies