Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:18 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,796,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
The same Demmies who favor illegal immigration include a provision to favor American workers by excluding American workers who have all left the Union so they could compete with the illegal immigrants, thereby making them ineligible to work, providing a shortage of labor that will be filled by illegal aliens.

Most workers don't leave the union when they work non-union; they hold on to their card and work union when they can. Thus they'll be better off when more union jobs open up and they can work for better money.

You also ignore (or are ignorant of) the fact that the building trades unions are very actively recruiting non union workers. When I was an apprentice teacher many of our apprentices were people who'd worked non union and now wanted to better themselves.

Funny with guys like you, the only time you stick up for worker's rights is when it's their right to get screwed that's at stake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,016,441 times
Quote:
guy
Girl.

I believe skilled laborers(not illegals) and businesses should not be penalized just because they don't work for/employ union workers. Clearly this is a gift to the unions, which are run by democrats, support democrat politicians and sink millions of money into democrat coffers.

How could you believe that unions could ever be part of conservative economic theory?

Old 02-08-2009, 08:23 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,587,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I believe this signals the end to the 'union busting' days of Reagan, Bush I and Dubya...

I say - THANK GOD!!! (and I'm NOT a union worker nor ever have been)

Old 02-08-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
How could you believe that unions could ever be part of conservative economic theory?

Conservative economic theory teaches that the greatest good comes when people pursue their own economic interests. Workers do that through unions, thus unions, by conservative theory, serve the greater good. Think of a union as a corporation but for workers rather than investors.

Conservative theory teaches that talent chases money. The money is better working union, thus, according to conservative theory, the best talent is found there.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,016,441 times
Quote:
Conservative economic theory teaches that the greatest good comes when people pursue their own economic interests. Workers do that through unions, thus unions, by conservative theory, serve the greater good. Think of a union as a corporation but for workers rather than investors.
Totally, completely false.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Totally, completely false.

The argument by assertion. You can't refute my premise nor the logic that follows so you simply assert it's false.

Typically conservative. I don't mind you guys pursuing your self interest but quit trying to BS me that what you guys want is in the general interest.

Since there aren't enough millionaires to put conservatives in office you appeal to "economic law" to BS people that policies that favor the wealthy and owners also favor workers. But when held up to scrutiny these laws either don't hold water or can be used to justify liberal policies as well as conservative ones.

So tell me, are you a business owner? Or one of the BSed? If the first why should workers care what you think about this, you don't share the same interest. If you're the second workers still have no reason to care what you think.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,746,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
I believe this signals the end to the 'union busting' days of Reagan, Bush I and Dubya...

I say - THANK GOD!!! (and I'm NOT a union worker nor ever have been)
Indeed.

If this hadn't been a provision, how much do you want to bet that the title of this thread would have been 'Obama encourages/advocates for illegal alien construction workers to keep taking American jobs''?

It is so clear to me now, the contempt certain members of certain political parties hold for the American labor force.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:48 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,621,099 times
It's just vote buying. Use public money to buy support from the Unions.

If I own a construction company with some non-union workers, now I can't bid for certain govt. contracts? Before this repeal, union, a mix of union/non-union or complete non-union workforce companies could bid for contracts. What is wrong with that?

Sounds like it excludes competition from the bidding process in favor of the unions.

Sounds like the taxpayer is gonna get screwed in favor of the unions.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:13 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,860,809 times
Combine this with the democrats plan to do away with secret ballots for union votes (how unAmerican is that!) and you can see what it happening.... Massachusetts has a "prevailing wage" law that favors unions but also raises costs...

Old 02-08-2009, 11:23 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,857,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Combine this with the democrats plan to do away with secret ballots for union votes (how unAmerican is that!) and you can see what it happening.... Massachusetts has a "prevailing wage" law that favors unions but also raises costs...
I never understood how you guys apply your logic. Lets tinker with what you are saying a bit. Using your argument why don't we all work for free and everything will be free, communlsm anyone? See how the right twists the argument to fit their liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies