Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I agree with you, but apparently not everyone does. Some may want to put pressure on the Iraqi government to extend our stay there until... until what actually?
Those who think we should still be there ought to put their lives on the line, enlist and volunteer.
It's easy to be an armchair hawk while someone else gets killed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What a pitiful argument. Pitiful.
Sad that you have no clue to what the young men and women do for our country so some of you can sit and mock them and their leaders with utter disrespect. The left hates GWB with such vile and discontent, yet all they repeat is the mantra that he lied, when in fact he was lied "to", by the Clinton CIA head that he should have fired instead of keeping on. Since GWB took the battle to "them", we have not had another attack here at home. There have been dozens of thawrted attempts, but they have been stopped and the "Left" cries out they would have never happened. What if Bush was able to stop 9/11, those same idiots would scream that a plan like that could never happen and he was harassing foreign nationals without just cause. Can't have it both ways.

When we have another 9/11, and we will, maybe you will pray there are soldiers that are like the ones we have now still in the military. The people that attacked us weren't planning on a one time strike, or the response that they got back in return which has taken them to task and broken them down. As soon as we relent, they will be back.

I served in the military when I was younger in a very unpopular war without any choices, came home and was spit on by people with your mind set and I have no respect for anyone that demeans our military or it's purpose, which is to defend from all enemies both foreign and domestic.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:52 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Sad that you have no clue to what the young men and women do for our country so some of you can sit and mock them and their leaders with utter disrespect. The left hates GWB with such vile and discontent, yet all they repeat is the mantra that he lied, when in fact he was lied "to", by the Clinton CIA head that he should have fired instead of keeping on. Since GWB took the battle to "them", we have not had another attack here at home. There have been dozens of thawrted attempts, but they have been stopped and the "Left" cries out they would have never happened. What if Bush was able to stop 9/11, those same idiots would scream that a plan like that could never happen and he was harassing foreign nationals without just cause. Can't have it both ways.
Pray tell what role did Iraq play in 9/11? For what he did in Iraq, Bush and his cronies should be facing criminal justice for 2 crimes - the deaths of those soldiers and the countless deaths of Iraqi civilians.

Quote:
I served in the military when I was younger in a very unpopular war without any choices, came home and was spit on by people with your mind set and I have no respect for anyone that demeans our military or it's purpose, which is to defend from all enemies both foreign and domestic.
Well...its not our fault if you still haven't recovered from the shrapnel wound you received in Nam though I thought getting hit there would only affect your sitting position but not your brain...Hmmm...medicine who knows?

Old 02-09-2009, 04:26 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Well, they followed the orders of an idiotic president AND congress.... If they didn't want to follow the lemmings over the cliff, they shouldn't have... the age of "I was just following orders" is over.... be your own brain...
QFT. One of America's greatest authors and antiwar icons, Henry David Thoreau, said it well a long time ago:

Quote:
A common and natural result of an undue respect for law is, that you may see a file of soldiers, colonel, captain, corporal, privates, powder-monkeys, and all, marching in admirable order over hill and dale to the wars, against their wills, ay, against their common sense and consciences, which makes it very steep marching indeed, and produces a palpitation of the heart. They have no doubt that it is a damnable business in which they are concerned; they are all peaceably inclined. Now, what are they? Men at all? or small movable forts and magazines, at the service of some unscrupulous man in power? Visit the Navy Yard, and behold a marine, such a man as an American government can make, or such as it can make a man with its black arts — a mere shadow and reminiscence of humanity, a man laid out alive and standing, and already, as one may say, buried under arms with funeral accompaniments, though it may be

"Not a drum was heard, not a funeral note,
As his corse to the rampart we hurried;
Not a soldier discharged his farewell shot
O'er the grave where our hero we buried."

The mass of men serve the state thus, not as men mainly, but as machines, with their bodies. They are the standing army, and the militia, jailers, constables, posse comitatus, etc. In most cases there is no free exercise whatever of the judgment or of the moral sense; but they put themselves on a level with wood and earth and stones; and wooden men can perhaps be manufactured that will serve the purpose as well. Such command no more respect than men of straw or a lump of dirt. They have the same sort of worth only as horses and dogs. Yet such as these even are commonly esteemed good citizens. Others, as most legislators, politicians, lawyers, ministers, and office-holders, serve the state chiefly with their heads; and, as they rarely make any moral distinctions, they are as likely to serve the devil, without intending it, as God. A very few, as heroes, patriots, martyrs, reformers in the great sense, and men, serve the state with their consciences also, and so necessarily resist it for the most part; and they are commonly treated as enemies by it.
--Thoreau, "Civil Disobedience", 1849.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:30 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
When we have another 9/11, and we will, maybe you will pray there are soldiers that are like the ones we have now still in the military.
When we have another 9/11, and we will, it will be because we wouldn't give up our repulsive addiction to militarism and worldwide bullying, which was the cause of the first 9/11.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:53 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Wars are always horrible....why not start a thread why dictators can still in our life time have so much power over innocent people....maybe you can start a thread about how proud we are of military people and a president who had the guts to free thousand of people from fear and worse...why always so negative.
I'm only here and many with me because Americans came to Europe to free us of Hitler...I'm so grateful of the Americans who stood up and did something to change history!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
When we have another 9/11, and we will, it will be because we wouldn't give up our repulsive addiction to militarism and worldwide bullying, which was the cause of the first 9/11.
There has been quite a few "9/11's" in the world because of people didn't think they would happen in the first place if they put their head in the sand and pretended they didn't notice the bad guys are there...

Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I realize it would be pointless to ask any of the war's supporters to try and justify all the Iraqi dead since the invasion but I wonder how those in favor of the war in Iraq can justify all these Americans coming home in caskets.

Is it because you think:

1) The cause is just
2) The war was a mistake, but we have to "finish the job"
3) ___________ (other)

Just wondering

(For the record, I think even one dead American is one too many. Therefore I have never tried to reconcile any of these deaths as justified. I believe they are all in vain.)
Four more American soldiers were killed in Iraq today by car bomb.
Gee isn't it great that Iraq has a pseudo democracy!

Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
It seems that we will remain in Iraq for at least 2 years +. Where is the outrage from the Left?
Ah, maybe because we realize that it will take a minimum of 12 months to remove all equipment, material and personnel for Iraq. Further, we recognize that as Obama stated clearly throughout the campaign that we would have to be smarter about leaving Iraq that when we entered. We also recognize that on his first day in office, Obama instructed CENTCOM to prepare plans for fulfilling his 16 month timeline for withdrawal.

I'm adding this one to your bill.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
Pray tell what role did Iraq play in 9/11? For what he did in Iraq, Bush and his cronies should be facing criminal justice for 2 crimes - the deaths of those soldiers and the countless deaths of Iraqi civilians.
Sorry that you are intellitually challanged to grasp facts

Not going to list the reasons we went into Iraq because the left isn't interested in hearing the facts... Just the Blather...

The fact that Saddam tried to kill President HW Bush when he was visiting Kuwait, was a good reason on it's own merit outside of all the UN mandates he ignored.

Quote:
Well...its not our fault if you still haven't recovered from the shrapnel wound you received in Nam though I thought getting hit there would only affect your sitting position but not your brain...Hmmm...medicine who knows?
Could care less what you think about my military history, you clearly have no idea of any of the history and sacrifice of those that allow you to sit at home and not be accountable to anything but your own self interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies