Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 02:12 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,198,320 times

Advertisements

Sorry to have not understood about the online status of the records, though a government database is far more secure than some website.

Paper records are much more faulty and easy for unscrupulous employers to access as well as much more expensive to maintain and transfer. The potential for security breaches would be as high or as low as that for any other government database.

Palin's email was hacked, and she deserved it - she was using Yahoo

The McCain and Obama websites were hacked, but they're website. Obama's and McCain's (if he has one) government email accounts were never hacked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Here is a place to write to the ACLU and tell them this is not right! I hope the moderators don't cut this link.American Civil Liberties Union:

They will be selling our records and we will have no more privacy. This is the ONLY thing now you have left private and Obama is happily wanting to take that away too. The money is already slated for this in the stimulus package he is trying to get passed.
You do understand the ACLU is on your side in this, right?

"American Public Cannot Trust Their Records Will Not Turn Into A Commodity Without Safeguards" http://www.aclu.org/privacy/medical/...s20090127.html

The ACLU on the privacy of our medical records as it stands now:
Medical information is arguably the most personal and private sources of data about us. Yet privacy protections in this area are far from adequate.

The relentless commercialization of information has also led to the breakdown of some longstanding traditions, such as doctor-patient confidentiality. Citizens share some of their most intimate and embarrassing secrets with their doctors on the oldfashioned assumption that their conversations are confidential. Yet those details are routinely shared with insurance companies, researchers, marketers, and employers.
The ACLU believes that this easy, warrantless access to our medical information violates the U.S. Constitution, especially the Fourth Amendment, which generally bars the government from engaging in unreasonable searches and seizures.[viii] However, because the Patriot Act and the HIPAA regulations have only recently gone into effect, their constitutionality remains largely untested, although at least one legal challenge to the HIPAA rules is underway, and more challenges are likely.
American Civil Liberties Union : FAQ on Government Access to Medical Records

Old 02-09-2009, 02:17 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,301,970 times
I do not understand WHY we as Americans let the politicians tell us what we need, what is going to be better for us,etc. I have 2 brother in laws that are attorney's and medical records has nothing to do with the increase cost of health insurance.

People better stand up and fight this one. There is no reason for big brother to have access to your medical records. This is your ONLY private thing you have left from them.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:19 PM

delusianne "You do understand the ACLU is on your side in this, right?"

Yes, I know that. People should write to them and send letters to their Congressmen and Senators....not that it matters. Obama will just say " I won the election" and do what he wants anyway.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I do not understand WHY we as Americans let the politicians tell us what we need, what is going to be better for us,etc. I have 2 brother in laws that are attorney's and medical records has nothing to do with the increase cost of health insurance.

People better stand up and fight this one. There is no reason for big brother to have access to your medical records. This is your ONLY private thing you have left from them.
This would cut down on paperwork - "administrative costs" - which is a huge part of the cost of medical insurance.

This is from 2005; back then a billion dollars was a lot of money. Imagine what the numbers are now:
Billing and insurance paperwork consume at least one out of every five dollars of private insurance health spending in California, according to a new study by health policy researchers.

The findings suggest that about $230 billion in health care spending nationally is devoted to insurance administration.
Study finds billions of health insurance dollars used for administrative costs - UCSF News Office

Old 02-09-2009, 02:29 PM

If Washington wanted to cut costs, then throw all the meical insuance lobbyists out of Washington. Washington could do two things to cut costs, 1) put on cap on how much medical insurance can charge....2.) cap the amounts of medical malpractice.

It will never happen because of lobbyists. You can't why do we never hear of the pay and the bonuses of the CEO's of insurance companies? Because of LOBBYISTS!!!! This will do nothing but let big brother watch over us closer and let their buddies make more money.

I find it ironic that Obama wants to be able to have MY medical records online but his own records he had sealed and all we ever got to see was a letter from Oprah's Dr. saying Obama was in good enough health to run for president.

Double standards here.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:36 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,316,110 times
Cut down on cost of healthcare? They're in for a rude awakening when they find out how spendy it is to keep their computer networks running!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:38 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,634,823 times
I don't think they've reached the end of the line as regards what they want. Look for a campaign to promote voluntary microchip implantation (only because they know they can't force it on everyone...yet).

Old 02-09-2009, 02:43 PM

382 posts, read 955,106 times
Quote:
If Washington wanted to cut costs, then throw all the meical insuance lobbyists out of Washington. Washington could do two things to cut costs, 1) put on cap on how much medical insurance can charge....2.) cap the amounts of medical malpractice.

It will never happen because of lobbyists. You can't why do we never hear of the pay and the bonuses of the CEO's of insurance companies? Because of LOBBYISTS!!!! This will do nothing but let big brother watch over us closer and let their buddies make more money.

I find it ironic that Obama wants to be able to have MY medical records online but his own records he had sealed and all we ever got to see was a letter from Oprah's Dr. saying Obama was in good enough health to run for president.

Double standards here.
Americans wanted him; now we have to live with the nightmare. Just think, the best is yet to come!

Old 02-09-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Americans wanted him; now we have to live with the nightmare. Just think, the best is yet to come!

Don't remind me!

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies