Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,993,016 times

Advertisements

Also....they don't want their kids going to school with "those people's" kids.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,199,185 times
[quote=small arms;7417882]I don't hate teachers. I do think they should keep their liberal views to them self rather than spew them to my children. My child can make up her/his own mind.[/QUOTE
This is probably the best one to explain the thread. The part of the child thinking is a way of saying we don't want our child exposed to any ideas that contradict what we believe at home. We don't need no education!

Last edited by Visvaldis; 02-11-2009 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: addition!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:27 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,354,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think the Right Wing loonies abhore public schools because they do not teach the kids who to hate. Damn liberals think everyone should be treated equally.
Nah. The liberals teach their kids to hate conservatives.

As this thread attests.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:30 AM

89,119 posts, read 44,928,596 times
To go along with my previous post on why many libertarians oppose what public education has become...

Nationwide, student achievement in the public schools is actually much lower than most people think. Each state's education officials establish their own state standards, commission/construct their own tests, and set their own 'passing' scores. This has resulted in manipulations that make it look like public schools are educating our children, when in reality the majority of students in many states are far below acceptable levels of proficiency. In some cases, there's as much as a 70 percentage point difference in proficiency levels between state achievement tests and the NAEP (National Assessment of Educational Progress) tests.

If you want to see your state's reported proficiency level vs. the NAEP proficiency level (to see if your public schools are being honest about providing an adequate education), check here:
NAEP Researchcenter - NAEP and State Equivalent Percent Table
For each grade level, the first column lists the percentage of students scoring as proficient (meets or exceeds state standards) on the state test; the second column lists the percentage of students scoring as proficient on the NAEP (National test).

Those who know what's going on (or rather, what's not going on) in our nation's public schools are growing increasingly dissatisfied with how poorly our students are being educated.

People who try to work with students capable of high levels of achievement know EXACTLY what's going on in our educational structure. You can read what Joann DiGennaro of the Admiral Rickover Center for Excellence in Education (collaborates with MIT) has to say about it here:
Joann DiGennaro - Gifted Minds We Need to Nurture - washingtonpost.com

And... what happens to students capable of high levels of achievement when they smack head first into our educational structure? You can read about it here:
USATODAY.com - SAT talent searches lead nowhere for many

Old 02-11-2009, 09:35 AM

266 posts, read 402,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
[quot;7417882]I don't hate teachers. I do think they should keep their liberal views to them self rather than spew them to my children. My child can make up her/his own mind.[/QUOTE

This is probably the best one to explain the thread. The part of the child thinking is a way of saying we don't want our child exposed to any ideas that contradict what we believe at home. We don't need no education!
What are you smoking?

Old 02-11-2009, 10:11 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,688,591 times
I want few things out of public schools.
I want children to think for themselves. I would like teachers to think beyond the text book and the political headlines and give the individual child a chance to think for himself/herself. Most importantly they are to teach not convert them to any political or social view they might have.. That includes religion. I want children to know the difference between responsiblity and dependancy and most importantly I want thinkers. A childs mind is molded in many ways in schools and movies and parents. But his/her life experiences are really the source of all knowledge and bases for his decision making. To answer your question conversatives don't like their children being told a political or social view that is different from what they want their kids to know. Conversatives are afraid of losing the control over their child. I consider it a challenge and my kids should challange any system that doesn't embrace all views and children the chance to think for themselves. Public schools do teach kids but I find other schools might have a better program on how to do it and for less money.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:15 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,206,560 times
I find that, a lot of the people who most fervently object to outside influences on their children(Ie: the guy worried that teachers are "indoctrinating them with liberal beliefs, etc.) really only object to the outside world rendering them unable to mold their children in whatever fashion they want.

I mean, let's be honest here. very few people actually are objective when it comes to the influence they have on their children.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:25 AM

410 posts, read 515,692 times
I think it is very important to educate the children on the politics in their own areas for them to have a better understanding of what is going on and they can keep up to date on the changes. They are not doing a good enough job across canada of teaching politics. We all keep talking about Obama over here. Alot don't even know the name of their own Prime Minister here.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,856,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Keeping an ignorant and uninformed populace is very much part of a Neocon agenda. If they can get the kids to be as ignorant and stupid as some of the people posting here, they can forge ahead with the dumbing down of America and bleeding it dry to enrich their base. They prefer to destroy this country while enriching themselves. What better way than to destory education.
Completely the opposite. Conservatives ("Neocon" is a slur; equivalent to "moonbat" for a liberal) want choice for schools and giving all parents the right to choose which school to send their kids to, not just the rich parents that can afford private schools....

Conservatives want people to be educated and not dependant on the government (which seems to be the liberals agenda). We want more engineers, scientists, etc. These are the people we want working in our companies.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 AM

266 posts, read 402,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I find that, a lot of the people who most fervently object to outside influences on their children(Ie: the guy worried that teachers are "indoctrinating them with liberal beliefs, etc.) really only object to the outside world rendering them unable to mold their children in whatever fashion they want.

I mean, let's be honest here. very few people actually are objective when it comes to the influence they have on their children.

Last I checked, they were my kids. I raised them. And yes, I do object to someone else influencing them politically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies