Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:15 PM

105 posts, read 253,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Because people who ditched high school to stack cans and wash lettuce for a career deserve 20+ bucks an hour and a pension right?
BA English Major SFSU. Proud member of The International Brotherhood of Teamsters and a former member of Carpenters and Labor Unions.

We earn every penny we make and we paid for the right to Union Representation in blood. I'll stand by my Brothers and Sisters of all trades and education levels to the end. I washed dishes to put myself through school and it's an honorable and honest living. Damn right we deserve a livable wage, and we'll fight for it too. Always have, always will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 06:25 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Default Maybe not a demon, but definately an organization not to be trusted.

Oh Wal-Mart, that shining sign on the horizon of every city and small town in America that signals savings beyond compare. Can't beat their prices, no way, no how. Of course that is because they have completely gone back on their word and outsourced to foreign countries for nearly every piece of merchandise they sell. How have they gone back on their word you might ask. Oh, simply because they started as an all American made product outlet. Their promise to the American people was that they would provide Americans with jobs by buying and selling American made products. A promise they quickly made into a lie.

Wal-Mart has also been gracious enough to nearly eradicate the small hometown business district. Muscling their way in to town after town, putting mom and pop retail outlets and grocery stores out of business by the hundreds while simultaneously destroying the clothing manufacturing market by outsourcing nearly exclusively to India and China. I don't care how many jobs they now provide, they have taken and destroyed far more.

They are a corporate powerhouse whose only desire is profit. It's all business all the time with none of that good old fashioned hometown pride. I for one do my best to frequent the few small businesses left in my area simply because I despise corporate entities like Wal-Mart who come only to plunder and never think of the consequences for the local shop owners or the people they employ. But hey, they can just go get a job at Wal-Mart right?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:32 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
The one thing not mentioned yet (at least with a quick scan) is the obviousness of how Wal-mart is directly responsible for the disappearance of thousands of grocery, apparel, furnishings, electronics, and toy store small and medium-sized businesses. Businesses which no doubt employed more people all together and for better wages (for their snapshots in time) than Wal-mart does today.

Wal-mart exemplifies the worst in publicly traded big business capitalism; where the psychotic pursuit of ever increasing profits is prioritized over moral and ethical values. One has to ask, when is big too big, or at least when are enough profits enough?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:34 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
I belong to The International Brotherhood of Teamsters, I would not buy a Qt. of Mobil One full synthetic motor oil at Walmart even if it saved me $10 for 4 cases. That goes for Food Lion also. I will not give a red copper penny to any greedy, slave employment operation, or corrupt "increase the trade deficit" Corporation. Get back to "Made with pride in the U.S.A.", and "Buy with pride in the U.S.A"
I would love to have everything we consume American made however, the unions have made it virtually impossible for some businesses to compete in the global marketplace.

Quote:
Shame on any and all who contributed to the collapse of the United States,,,

"America Works Best When We Say Union Yes"
That would include the unions, right?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:34 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknblue View Post
BA English Major SFSU. Proud member of The International Brotherhood of Teamsters and a former member of Carpenters and Labor Unions.

We earn every penny we make and we paid for the right to Union Representation in blood. I'll stand by my Brothers and Sisters of all trades and education levels to the end. I washed dishes to put myself through school and it's an honorable and honest living. Damn right we deserve a livable wage, and we'll fight for it too. Always have, always will.
Then you don't stack cans? You must be disgusted to share ranks with other Union employees getting paid near what you make with no skills?

Don't forget, Joe blows like me are the people paying for your wages. We shouldn't have to pay 20 bucks and hour and bennies for someone to stack cans, slide a can across a code reader or chase shopping carts. Actually it is an insult to the people that have to pay those inflated wages for sub-standard credentials and products.

The entitlement mentality is off the charts.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Many of these same complaints were made of Sears in the early days of the last century. I think it's much more complicated than presented here. For example, they are hardly the only retailer to pay the wages they do, offere the health care they do or do not, etc. It's funny that people who won't darken Wal Mart's door will proudly wear their Nikes, made in sweatshops.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:36 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
The one thing not mentioned yet (at least with a quick scan) is the obviousness of how Wal-mart is directly responsible for the disappearance of thousands of grocery, apparel, furnishings, electronics, and toy store small and medium-sized businesses. Businesses which no doubt employed more people all together and for better wages (for their snapshots in time) than Wal-mart does today.
Good point. I loathe Walmart, just loathe them & it stems from when I heard about their practice of hiring someone as part-time so they would not receive benefits & then having them work the maximum amount of part-time hours...I believe it's 39? Riiiiight up to the point of full-time, but not all the way there because then they would have to extend benefits. I'm sure this is not a secret. It is true that Wal-mart makes jobs, especially for people who are not educated, however they do not extend the benefits that they should to these people. Surely not everyone who works at Wal-mart is uneducated, I just do NOT believe that. And if they do, then that to me is taking advantage.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
As Mr. Platt details, some of the mom-and-pop stores are their own worst enemy. I have every doubt that they employed more people for better wages.

You seem to have some fairy-tale image of mom-and-pop. What if they were vindictive, cheap, petty people to work for? Where is the recourse for the employee?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
just loathe them & it stems from when I heard about their practice of hiring someone as part-time so they would not receive benefits & then having them work the maximum amount of part-time hours
Here's your problem. Taking for truth what someone told you, most like a anti-walmart liberal blog or a union member.

You see, almost all the smears and stories like this are perpetrated by those groups listed in the article, which in turn are union affiliated.

Now, why would the unions have it in for walmart? Because for years and years they have been trying to unionize the workers, who reject the union over and over again.

Do you know how much that is costing the unions in terms of lost dues?

Old 02-11-2009, 06:45 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Wal-Mart, meet Employee Free Choice Act.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies