Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,319,664 times

Advertisements

All everybody has to do is quit shopping at Wal-Mart. You guys go first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 09:16 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,419,409 times
Walmart's business model is poison. Shop local whenever possible. It takes a little research and sometimes a little more money, but I see no reason to ship half of my dollar to Arkansas and the other half to Shanghai.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:17 PM

105 posts, read 253,764 times
Quit? Hell, I never started.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,813,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
CHARLES PLATT GOES UNDERCOVER AT WAL-MART - New York Post

I think he is absolutely right - Walmart is providing jobs and stimulus to the economy. This company is vital to the working poor, both in terms of where they shop and where they work.

These are the people with little to no education and skills, who are provided an opportunity of a good job, and if they have a mind to apply themselves can work their way up the ladder to even better jobs.

Why is this staple of the American economy so villified by the Left?

Ah, here we come to the reason for the smear campaign.
I am not a Wal*Mart basher and some of it is unwarranted but Wal*Mart invites alot of abuse on itself with some of its practices such as trying to tell employees how to vote in a Presidential election. And it is not "vital" to the working poor. The working poor were actually better off before the age of Wally.
But Wal*Mart does good stuff too. It is open 24/7 and, by golly, if I need a hammer at 3AM, I can damn well get it now!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,296,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am not a Wal*Mart basher and some of it is unwarranted but Wal*Mart invites alot of abuse on itself with some of its practices such as trying to tell employees how to vote in a Presidential election. And it is not "vital" to the working poor. The working poor were actually better off before the age of Wally.
But Wal*Mart does good stuff too. It is open 24/7 and, by golly, if I need a hammer at 3AM, I can damn well get it now!
It's able to do that "good stuff" because it has driven its competitors out of business. And not in the good ol' capitalist level-playing-field kind of way. It's ruthless, completely devoid of any ethical commitment to community at all. Sam Walton is turning over in his grave, I can assure you.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Wal-mart is communist.... enough said.
They'll start making people wear red shirts in the US pretty soon.
They are doing the Wal*Mart cheer:

Stack it deep, stack it high
Price it low and watch it fly
Hear those downtown merchants cry!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:26 PM

564 posts, read 894,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ha, I'm a contract employee that makes 6 figures because my talent says I'm worth it. You couldn't do my job but I'm pretty sure I could do yours can stacker.
I'm glad to hear that. In that case I'll contact Obama, I hear he's backing unions right now. People with six figures and shop at Walmart to save a buck need to pay more taxes to pay for all the "forced" part-time employees with no health insurance! Yahoo! I'm starting to see a way out of this economic mess! Under 80k a year no income tax, six figures,,,taxed at 60%, YEEEHOOOW! While the wealthy pay for their fare share, the rest of us can invest, and since we are not crooks-well the financial sector might just heel and start to see a return!

Isn't that what Republicans say? Oh we need to give them a break so they can invest? Hell if we make six figures and above pay more, the majority of us could invest 1 million times more! We'd have the stock market up and over 15,000 pts. in a week!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
It's able to do that "good stuff" because it has driven its competitors out of business. And not in the good ol' capitalist level-playing-field kind of way. It's ruthless, completely devoid of any ethical commitment to community at all. Sam Walton is turning over in his grave, I can assure you.
I don't know if it drove them out of business or they just decided they did not wish to compete. It seems to me that Wal*Mart has opened lots of stores in places that its competition like Sears and KMart abandoned for the suburban malls.
Here in Atlanta in the city proper, there are Wal*Mart stores (2 I know of) and there are empty buildings where Sears and Kmart were before they joined white flight and fled. It is really funny to me that Wal*Mart seems to make a profit there.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,296,548 times
Quote:
I don't know if it drove them out of business or they just decided they did not wish to compete. It seems to me that Wal*Mart has opened lots of stores in places that its competition like Sears and KMart abandoned for the suburban malls.
Here in Atlanta in the city proper, there are Wal*Mart stores (2 I know of) and there are empty buildings where Sears and Kmart were before they joined white flight and fled. It is really funny to me that Wal*Mart seems to make a profit there.
It drove them out of business. No question about it.

Sears and KMart can't compete with Wal-Mart. They didn't "join white flight." They had to relocate their stores to where consumers fled. Sears is having serious financial trouble, and KMart declared bankruptcy in 2002.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:44 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,020,755 times
Quote:
You know, I had an epiphany about this issue one day. I was talking to a friend who was saying the usual, that Wal Mart drove out the other downtown retailers, etc. I said that in the case of the Wal Mart in my area, there really was nothing left of downtown before Wal Mart ever moved in. It all of a sudden occurred to me that such was probably the case in many small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies