Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:25 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times

Advertisements

GE exec sees smart grid becoming $3 bln business | Markets | Markets News | Reuters
Quote:
Krenicki said the United States will likely be the most "meaningful" growth market for smart grid technology due to the Obama administration's stimulus plan, which includes spending on that area.
Quote:
Signaling a positive note for the U.S. wind industry, one of the first wind energy projects expected to benefit from President Obama’s stimulus plan is being developed by Invenergy Wind in LaSalle County, Ill. GE Energy will supply 74 of its 1.5-megawatt (MW) wind turbines to begin the expansion of the Grand Ridge Energy Center, which, when completed, will increase the country’s wind power capacity by over 110 megawatts, enough clean energy for 30,000 U.S. households. Under the terms of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), commonly called the federal stimulus package, there are a number of provisions to encourage the development of wind projects, including a three-year Production Tax Credit (PTC) extension, an option to elect a 30% Investment Tax Credit (ITC) in place of the PTC, a temporary program that includes an option to convert the ITC into a Treasury grant and a new DOE loan guarantee program.
GE Energy - 2009 Press releases

Quote:
"In order to sustain the industry's current growth, Congress needs to pass a stimulus bill which provides an extension to the production tax credit for wind, coupled with a temporary grant program or a refundable tax credit that allows the value of renewable tax credits to be utilized during this very difficult financial environment.
GE Energy - 2009 Press releases

At least Tboone says outright he wants to do wind because of the money it will bring him. These fools are acting like it's all about America. If it was any other industry they'd be investigated for racketeering. My bubble though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 10:33 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Grand Ridge:
I'm sure the first setup there is because it's the windy state, of course.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:29 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,139,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
GE, the parent company of MSNBC (Y'know, the Chris Matthews tingley leg thing) is headed by Jeffrey Immelt. In the 8 years that he's been in charge, their stock has dropped an astounding 75%, yet not only is his job not in jeopardy, despite doing business with Iran (Y'know the guys that were smuggling weapons into Iraq and killing our soldiers) he's been tagged to be one of Obama's economic advisers. Oh, yeah, GE Capital took bailout money from B.O., so we the tax payers are footing part of Olberman, Brian Williams and Rachael Maddows salaries. How is there not a conflict of interest when a supposed legit news source is indirectly taking money from the guy who they're suppose to be reporting on objectively.

One more case of the same old same old. Nice change.
The GE connection to 0bama and the federal government makes Haliburton looks like pre-kindergarten.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:54 AM

37,960 posts, read 22,139,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Tax cuts have everything to do with the hole we are in and have to borrow and print money to lift ourselves back up. You may not like what we have to do (spend) to fix our economy but you should recognize what got us here. You asked me if I would hold Obama accountable but you are unwilling to hold you own accountable.
Lowering taxes results in a poorer economy??????? People keeping more of their hard earned money, and investing, making purchases and creating jobs is bad for the economy??

What brand of Kool-aid have you been drinking that says the more taxes government takes from Americans, the better off we will be? Bush tax cuts were small, we still pay an enormous amount in taxes and we have the second largest corporate tax in the world. Even China has a more capitalist friendly corporate tax then we do.

What happened to our country where 40% of every penny we earn needs to go to the government, or some Americans will whine that we are harming our economy by denying money to the state?

Old 05-14-2009, 02:54 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
GE plans new health care initiative - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/GE-plans-new-health-care-apf-15151891.html?.v=1 - broken link)

GE exec says economic crisis resetting capitalism - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/GE-exec-says-economic-crisis-apf-15004892.html?.v=5 - broken link)

I know let's put him on the economic team at the White House.

It's not my bubble but yours.

Go to any finance page, E-Trade, Yahoo, Google.. etc and look through the news articles. You can make of it what you will. It's hard to ignore government and industry working hand and hand. In the 30's this was treason when JP Morgan tried it... Is that the excuse the torture folks are using, back then it was torture. Are we just trading hypocritical stances with each other because they fit our agenda?
Show me the no-bid contracts the WH has handed to GE.

Then show me GE's massive profits based on government deals - correction, show me GE's massive profits at all (of course any money GE makes is a front for Immelt and Obama's sweetheart deals, I know).

Old 05-14-2009, 03:02 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,126 times
However you cut it massive companies like GE hold the government over a barrel anyway. You could completely sever government connections and they would still hold the government hostage because these corporations provide jobs and if people go broke things become politically unstable and that's bad for people in power.

The banks didn't need government power to do what they did since they held the economy hostage.

This is what you get with globalization/deregulation. Weakened government/strong corporate power. It doesn't really matter who is in power in this case until we bust large companies into small ones so that a free market economy can work to some degree.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:20 PM

519 posts, read 688,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Show me the no-bid contracts the WH has handed to GE.

Then show me GE's massive profits based on government deals - correction, show me GE's massive profits at all (of course any money GE makes is a front for Immelt and Obama's sweetheart deals, I know).
Seems I recall an argument from the liberals here that advocates for ACORN to be the natural choice for counting citizens in poverty-stricken neighborhoods in the 2010 Census because that type of work is their forte and they are best suited for it. Halliburton was best suited to go to Iraq to handle critical services on relatively short notice because that is their forte. What is the difference, I ask?

By the way, GE is positioning itself for a no-bid contract on the Healthymagination initiative. You will be eating your words shortly. Bet on it.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:32 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
Seems I recall an argument from the liberals here that advocates for ACORN to be the natural choice for counting citizens in poverty-stricken neighborhoods in the 2010 Census because that type of work is their forte and they are best suited for it. Halliburton was best suited to go to Iraq to handle critical services on relatively short notice because that is their forte. What is the difference, I ask?

By the way, GE is positioning itself for a no-bid contract on the Healthymagination initiative. You will be eating your words shortly. Bet on it.
The WH didnt give ACORN an exclusive no-bid contract, for starters.

Any no-bid contract for GE with as much competition as there is for these services - I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:43 PM

224 posts, read 378,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The WH didnt give ACORN an exclusive no-bid contract, for starters.

Any no-bid contract for GE with as much competition as there is for these services - I'll believe it when I see it.

no you won't.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies