Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:19 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times

Advertisements

I believe this thread exists in the "Great Debates" forum. However, there are debate standards, so ...

Old 02-19-2009, 03:22 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,242,017 times
Tim Wise is nothing short of intellectual genius.

His other website has dozens of archived writings from the 90's through last year. His book, "White Like Me" is essential reading for any antiracist mind. Can't wait to get my hands on his new book about Obama. In debates he is exceptionally fierce, and has consistently been able to hold his own even with the likes of David Duke and Jared Taylor. I don't think he gets nearly enough media time, though. Seen him on CNN once or twice, that's about it. Maybe it's by choice, or maybe (echoing the Atty General), the MSM is too cowardly for someone so incisive and blunt, yet truthful.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:25 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,519,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Tim Wise is right on point.......
Maybe where you live he is.

Ask my gf (who is black) how she feels about white privelege. She will laugh at you since here in H Town, people are judged on their qualifications and not to meet quotas and be looked at as tolerant. In other words, qualified minorities have no more of a problem getting the jobs down here than qualified whites do

Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,546,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post

Ask my gf (who is black) how she feels about white privelege. She will laugh at you since here in H Town, people are judged on their qualifications and not to meet quotas and be looked at as tolerant. In other words, qualified minorities have no more of a problem getting the jobs down here than qualified whites do
I'm trying to figure out what on earth White privilege--in whatever forms it does or doesn't exist--have to do with qualified or unqualified "minorities"?

By the way, you do know that in Texas, "minorities" are White?

Old 02-19-2009, 03:42 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,242,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post

For the most part, you're right, since there is so much work to go around here. But try to break into any of the old money good ol' boy networks here (especially in the energy sector and politics) as a minority and we'll see just what "qualifications" matter.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:45 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
Hmm, where was all that white privilege when I was out of work years ago and couldn't get a job? Jobs in which blacks and other minorities were working.

Where was the white privilege when my cousin and a friend were passed over for civil service jobs when they scored over 100 (with veteren's preference) in favor of minority hiring?

Where was the white privilege when school districts lowered their standards and passing scores in order to accomodate minorities and immigrants?

I can go on and on but I'll spare you the countless examples of how being white has not placed me at an advantage in my lifetime and on several occasions has actually been a disadvantage.

Yes discrimination exists, but it exists on both sides. I would also bet that many whites try to avoid hiring people of color for fear that they will one day have to be on the receiving end of a discrimination suit, just because someone didn't want to do their job and didn't get asked to do with pretty please and a cherry on top. I've seen a lot of ugly things go down in regard to Equal Opportunity discrimination cases, many of them were nonsense, something you'd expect from Sharpton or the ACLU.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
When you're in the majority and have never faced real discrimination, it's easy to be clueless about the privileges you enjoy.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,078 times
Quote:
So, for instance, studies have found that job applicants with white sounding names are 50% more likely to receive a call-back for a job interview than applicants with black-sounding names, even when all job-related qualifications and credentials are the same.

Other studies have found that white men with a criminal record are more likely to get a call-back for an interview than black male job applicants who don't have one, even when all requisite qualifications, demeanor and communication styles are the same.

Others have found that white women are far more likely than black women to be hired for work through temporary agencies, even when the black women have more experience and are more qualified.

Evidence from housing markets has found that there are about two million cases of race-based discrimination against people of color every year in the United States. That's not just bad for folks of color; the flipside is that there are, as a result, millions more places I can live as a white person.

Or consider criminal justice. Although data from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration indicates that whites are equally or more likely than blacks or Latinos to use drugs, it is people of color (blacks and Latinos mostly) who comprise about 90 percent of the persons incarcerated for a drug possession offense. Despite the fact that white men are more likely to be caught with drugs in our car (on those occasions when we are searched), black men remain about four times more likely than white men to be searched in the first place, according to Justice Department findings. That's privilege for the dominant group.
This is really the bread and butter of Wise's argument. If you don't believe anything else he says, this has to speak for itself.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Tim Wise is nothing short of intellectual genius.

His other website has dozens of archived writings from the 90's through last year. His book, "White Like Me" is essential reading for any antiracist mind. Can't wait to get my hands on his new book about Obama. In debates he is exceptionally fierce, and has consistently been able to hold his own even with the likes of David Duke and Jared Taylor. I don't think he gets nearly enough media time, though. Seen him on CNN once or twice, that's about it. Maybe it's by choice, or maybe (echoing the Atty General), the MSM is too cowardly for someone so incisive and blunt, yet truthful.
I promise to look into his work....would be interested to hear a well-stated case being made to counterbalance the other side..

Old 02-19-2009, 04:36 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Hmm, where was all that white privilege when I was out of work years ago and couldn't get a job? Jobs in which blacks and other minorities were working.
Perhaps you have other flaws that counter the white privilege.

Seriously - it's not a valid argument to point to anecdotal evidence (you too, sweetclimber - your girlfriend's word isn't worth anything). Look at the statistics. Blacks have much higher unemployment rates in almost every region, and almost every sector. Blacks are almost absent at the top ranks of companies and institutions - that's why we celebrate the few who do make it.

I'll tell you my criterion for deciding that racism is over and affirmative action isn't needed. I have black kids, and I belong to a group for adoptive families with cultural differences. I'll know we've made it when the first black parents show up with a white kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies