Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 08:30 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
In your previous sentence, you seemed to claim a stronger alliegance to your state than for your country. That might explain your sympathy for Confederate symbolism.
As far as my "sympathy for Confederate symbolism," I think my sympathy derives from the fact that so many Americans refuse to acknowledge the ambiguity of the confederate flag. People assume that the flag objectively represents racism, when in reality the meaning is very subjective. It's meaning can vary from heritage, to southern pride, to federalism, to racism, to rebelliousness, to reverence of the Confederate dead, to slavery, or to something else entirely.

I don't expect anyone to "like" it, nor do I personally believe that it is a great and noble symbol. Even though it does "represent my heritage," my heritage is something I have mixed feelings about.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:02 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
Once again from what I've learned from this board, the confederate flag, for me, represents a critical time in the history of American when southern whites sought ( in selfishness I now believe) to ignore the rights of those who were suffering from even more oppression than them and take up the cause of their own personal rights because the southern whites felt that they were being oppressed by the north. To me it means that at that critical point in redefining what the flag could mean today, the southern whites dropped the ball so to speak by not helping to get help and support from blacks and slaves first (who probably would understand how oppressed they felt more than anyone else) and then take up arms and the flag together to change America. Because they didn't, to me, the flag is all about them, a divided south.
I think that's a fair postion and well-stated.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:18 AM

230 posts, read 583,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I think that's a fair postion and well-stated.
I promise that I'll never look at the flag and only or immediately think KKK either.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
I promise that I'll never look at the flag and only or immediately think KKK either.
Fair enough. Thanks for an interesting and open exchange of thoughts.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:39 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
Quote:
Once again from what I've learned from this board, the confederate flag, for me, represents a critical time in the history of American when southern whites sought ( in selfishness I now believe) to ignore the rights of those who were suffering from even more oppression than them and take up the cause of their own personal rights because the southern whites felt that they were being oppressed by the north. To me it means that at that critical point in redefining what the flag could mean today, the southern whites dropped the ball so to speak by not helping to get help and support from blacks and slaves first (who probably would understand how oppressed they felt more than anyone else) and then take up arms and the flag together to change America. Because they didn't, to me, the flag is all about them, a divided south.
Interesting take! I was about to totally disagree with you by saying I envisioned NO way the common white southerner could have gained. But once I think about it much more thoroughly, it makes incredible sense! Southern farmers, plantation owners and small family farmers alike, were unable to sell their cotton to Britain for a fair market price because of taxes imposed on the imports of wool by northern manufacturers who wanted to control the cotton industry. They were able to do this because they had substantially larger delegations in Congress than sourthern states. The obvious way to have evened this would have been to force emancipation and give the right to vote to the former slaves making a HUGE block of voters that would have forced a reallocation of Congressional seats. Voila!! The south can impose it's will on the union! Yep...a HUGE lost opportunity!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imon View Post
Please name me one rich black southerner who owned black slaves?
You might check this source...

Amazon.com: Black Slaveowners: Free Black Slave Masters in South Carolina, 1790-1860: Books: Larry Koger

Old 01-15-2008, 03:54 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Interesting take! I was about to totally disagree with you by saying I envisioned NO way the common white southerner could have gained. But once I think about it much more thoroughly, it makes incredible sense! Southern farmers, plantation owners and small family farmers alike, were unable to sell their cotton to Britain for a fair market price because of taxes imposed on the imports of wool by northern manufacturers who wanted to control the cotton industry. They were able to do this because they had substantially larger delegations in Congress than sourthern states. The obvious way to have evened this would have been to force emancipation and give the right to vote to the former slaves making a HUGE block of voters that would have forced a reallocation of Congressional seats. Voila!! The south can impose it's will on the union! Yep...a HUGE lost opportunity!

The North would have probably blocked suffrage for ex-slaves to stop this. After all, it wasn't until 1869 that Congress even extended the right to vote to people "regardless of race, color, or previous servitude" and this was to address the disparity of the Union states not granting suffrage while Congress had compelled Southern states to do so.

DC

Old 01-15-2008, 09:48 PM

230 posts, read 583,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The North would have probably blocked suffrage for ex-slaves to stop this. After all, it wasn't until 1869 that Congress even extended the right to vote to people "regardless of race, color, or previous servitude" and this was to address the disparity of the Union states not granting suffrage while Congress had compelled Southern states to do so.

DC
You just went over my head. What do you mean by blocking suffrage for ex slaves to stop this. I don't mind a little history lesson. Wouldn't we still be looking different at the confederate flag or would the flag still have a different meaning today?

Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
I had ancestors fighting in the civil war on the Confederate side... and I don't consider the Confederate Flag part of my heritage that I want to keep being reminded of. The Southerners fighting in the civil war were fighting to support a very harmful system that was institutionalized pain upon fellow human beings. No matter how much you like your state or region, it is time to move on and make a better world. If that means we relegate some stuff to the history books... what's the problem with that? Hate shouldn't be a heritage.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
You just went over my head. What do you mean by blocking suffrage for ex slaves to stop this. I don't mind a little history lesson. Wouldn't we still be looking different at the confederate flag or would the flag still have a different meaning today?
I was responding to Stormcrow's post. Emancipation didn't mean the right to vote. When the United States was founded, there were a host of qualifications that had to be met in order to vote. Initially, I believe you had to be a white male landowner; I think the voting age may have been higher, as well, something like 25. Some states actually did have religious qualifications so suffrage wasn't universal. Stormcrow agrees with you that if the Southern states had freed the slaves, they could have gained Congressional power and lifted the taxes and restrictions that Northern business owners had lobbied for and got passed which harnessed the South economically. Since blacks were included in census records and at least somewhat to the population counts that determined Congressional representation, your suggestion implies that their votes would have been key in making legislative changes. I'm suggesting that even if the South had emancipated the slaves, the northern businessmen would have blocked suffrage by passing legislation prohibiting ex-slaves from voting. Even so, the 15th Amendment may have granted black men the vote, but is glaring in that that is all that was granted. The right to hold office, for instance, is not included. And it did not say anything further about qualifications to vote, which allowed the Jim Crow laws that flourished in the South (and somewhat in the North as well).

DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies